Forget the 10 Commandments Follow the book of Tao instead....

by EvilForce 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

As another thread rages on and on over whether we'd be better off following the 10 commandments I would posit that we would be better off following the Tao Te Ching (the holy book for Taoists) rather than the bible or 10 commandments. How many holy wars have been carried on by Christians. How many Christians are engaged in war right now?
    Maybe we ought to scrap the warlike, tribal bible and try something else? I say the book of Tao. (Arguing that the Buddhists writings should be followed instead would be ok too.) For those of you unaware of Taoist writings you may go to: http://www.taoteching.org for more info.
    Thoughts, comments?

• Daunt
    Daunt

I'd propose Buddha's basic ideaology more than anything. But Toaism is nice.

• acsot
    acsot

Absolutely agree.

I read a post a couple of years ago by the great Farkel recommending the Tao Te Ching, so I paid heed to his Farkelness and read said writings. That is to say, I took a long time going over them, thinking about them, trying to understand them and their possible impact on an individual/community/national/universal level - you get the idea.

Yup, much more "food for thought" and inspiration than in "keep the sabbath", "not take the name of the lord in vain" etc. etc.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I have always been a huge fan of eastern philosophy. Bushido got ahold of me when I was young and has never let go. Taoism is excellent and I enjoy Zen writings as well. I'd say a culture based on Taoism wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

• Pole
    Pole

Ok, here is personal opinion:
    Honestly, I've had a cursory look at some aspects of Eastern philosophy a few times and they just seemed sssoo boring to me as a philosophy. Like Western poetry. Sometimes good poetry, sometimes poor poetry, but it's all about poetry. The licentia poetica is omnipresent in their ramblings. Whoever has read a good Western work on the psychology of metaphors must smile reading these wisdoms. (Now my post is getting condescending and inflammatory - go get me). ;-)
    I find the dialectic nature of Western philosophy so much more interesting. I love the fine distinctions between psychology and philosophy. Theology and science. yeah, I think I've just put my finger on it. I love verifiability. If something cannot be verified I want to admit it.
    Of course most post-pagan western religion sucks in a big way. But this is because at some point they mixed up philosophical verifiability with licentia poetica. And so every word attributed to Jesus is taken with utmost seriousness. Decisions are taken based on it, athough noone can provejesus actually uttered these words. Lives are sacrificed. So this is where Eastern philosophy is better than Western religious philosophy.
    The trouble is that I don't need religious philosophy. No thank you. Philosophy yes. Religion and religious philosophy - no more.
    Having said that, I am sure some of you find it fascinating to read into the kind of metaphors you've never heard before. Kind of like a European classical musician learning the rythmics of Latin-American scores.
    Pole

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I would agree that the world would likely be a more peaceful place if there were more followers of the Tao. Eastern thought is far more unifying in it's nature compared to the divisive nature of western religious beliefs.

Taoism is aware of an underlying and foundational Infinity which ultimately units all phenomena within the unformed Vastness or Tao: our true Identity. Whereas western theology seems to emphasize the illusory fragmentation of individuality and separation. The unquestioned sense of duality is the foundational prerequisite for hatred, war and all of mans inhumanity to man.

That said, it is not about following or believing anything, for this rout will lead again and again to division. It's about letting go of everything believed, followed and thought, and seeing unequivocally what you really are, just under all which we believe ourselves to be...be it man, woman, Taoist, Christian, or atheist.

j

• Daunt
    Daunt

I agree Pole. Religious philosophy can be easily exploited to following and control. However, you can learn many great things from eastern philosophy that's rational, reasonable, and logical. I wouldn't put these as an absolute law to anybody, but highly suggest reading it and seeing what it's all worth.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Jesus scrapped the 10 Commandments, remember?

The basics of it all: Do unto others, etc, and blending the E with W to ultimately follow a path of Peace and enlightenment. It's all there. It's just that power and ego gets in the way, no matter who or what.

• Spook
    Spook

Evil,

Though I prefer the Zen branch of Budhism, particularly since it is compatible with atheism, I admire the chinese texts as well. Much better than the 10 commandments and all their suffering.

• daystar
    daystar

Pole said:

I've had a cursory look at some aspects of Eastern philosophy a few times and they just seemed sssoo boring to me as a philosophy.

LOL! I'd hate to think that we should choose a philosophy based upon whether or not it's boring.

That being said, I otherwise agree with you regarding Western philosophy.

For those interested in the Tao, I would highly recommend The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet. They are not so boring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit