Running??????

by vitty 28 Replies latest social physical

• Legolas
    Legolas

Good girl ...........Pleaseeeeeeeeee give me have of your energy!!

• vitty
    vitty

I just wanted to say thanks for all your responses.

I will take on board on what you say about building up slowly, I do tend to go at things full wack !!

Ill let you know how I get on

• Evesapple
    Evesapple
    Best if you can find a running store that will watch you run and analyze your gait.

This is very helpful...shoes are important. And, of course as was said before start slow, do the run/walk method to begin and work you're way up to running 30 minutes non-stop. Stretching is so very, very important to prevent injury....you may even experience some shin splints in the beginning until you get used to it, however don't push it with shin splints, they can lead to bigger injury, do some ice after a run on your shins, or even a cool bath if you can stand it for atleast 5 minutes....never take a hot bath or steamy shower until the next day.

If you have any questions let me know I run a lot, you're starting PR should probably be around 10-12 (miles a min.)

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Get yourself some good running shoes, then start running at whatever speed feels ok to you, don't try to gauge your speed or time by others running next to you. Good luck!

DL76

• chrissy
    chrissy

Hi Vinny,

Sorry I missed this thread yesterday.

(Princess- you are in seattle? I will pm you girl!)

I run, though I have to admit, it is a love/hate relationship. Hate it because my dad use to mercilessly make me run for miles w. him as a kid... love it because it is great cardio and a good way to release frustration...and I can out run my husband and heck, that is a good feeling.

Just to add...running is mostly mental. After you get through the first stages, really push yourself and you will be amazed at the stamina you can pull out. I like to run when I am good and p'd at the world and everything in it and with every pound into the pavement I think, "god", pound, "how I", pound, "hate running! grr" pound. My best tip (something I wish I had known) relax your fingers, especially your thumbs, and breath deeply from your abdomen.

If you find it to be too stressful on your joints...the elliptical machine is a good alternative.

Happy trails,

Chrissy

• Dustin
    Dustin

I live in central Wisconsin. I would really like to do the Chicago marathon one of these years. I've been too busy in pusuing some different dreams these days. But I still run every other day to keep my lungs in singing shape. I ran only one half marathon this year, but am considering a couple more this fall. I just ran a good eight miler about 45 minutes ago. My joints have taken a pounding over the years and I'm starting to limit how much I run. I've taken up more swimming instead. But there is nothing like running hard the wind in your face, and channeling all your aggression into it.

Let me know how you're coming along in your training. Maybe we can hit a race together sometime.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple
    Dustin: I would really like to do the Chicago marathon one of these years.

You should, I did it back in 98 and would love to do it again. Unfortunately the joints do take a pounding...that's why I started to switch to cycling and have done 2 Century rides since and as wonderful as it was, there is nothing like a good long run, absolutely nothing. I have been running 4 - 5 miles now every other day, however, I'm sitting here typing this with ice on my leg....I've pulled my IT band, yes another vital injury not to be ignored and since I dance too, I have to be extra careful of any other injuries I acrue. But....I will do another marathon, it's worth all the injuries in the world.....good luck on your training...and if you decide to do one, let me know...maybe I'll start training too....

• Princess
    Princess
    I'm sitting here typing this with ice on my leg....I've pulled my IT band

Ow! My left IT band gets stiff from running/cycling. When I was training for my first marathon, I injured my hip while running a 13 miler and went to a physical therapist. He set me up with a 6"X 24" foam roller. He showed me how to roll my IT bands, quads, hams, glutes and calves as a way to re-align the muscles and deep tissue massage. As long as I keep rolling regularly, I stay pretty healthy. I wasn't able to run that first marathon but the next year I ran two.

I'm assuming you are being treated already for your IT band pull. Just a tip for the future to keep it loose.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple
    As long as I keep rolling regularly, I stay pretty healthy

Yeah, I have one....but I'm not using it as regularly as I should, actually, ummmm I never use it. I used to work for a PT office and learned a lot about different exercises to keep my hip strong and muscles flexible, it's so very important...but that foam roller, ouch! it's not the most comfy thing to use....I really need to be using it....how often do you use yours? daily? after a run? just want to know how often I'll need to torture myself to stay healthier

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit