Running??????

by vitty 28 Replies latest social physical

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    And as you can see from the pictures page, I can "back" this up.

Boooo!!! Sssssss!!!!

*** Still washing my eyes out with soap ***

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Whatever Elsewhere, either I had too much to drink or your just being jealous......oh wait, nevermind..................................................

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Ironically, I can't run very much because in Gr. 9 I was running outside and tripped and really hurt my knee (well, there was a lot of blood, but not bone damage, but it still hurts when running for a while). Which is why I prefer cycling.

• melmoth
    melmoth

I tried running once but found that my drink spilled frequently, which was both wasteful and inconvenient, so I had to stop.

• Princess
    Princess

You definitely want to start out slowly. A run/walk plan is a very good way to start. Run for two minutes...walk one minute. Repeat for fifteen to twenty minutes. If this is too hard, lengthen the walk, too easy, lengthen the run. Eventually you want to increase your run time and decrease the walk breaks.

I started running three years ago. I had a goal of running a 5K in June 2002, so I started running in April. I was already fit, just not a runner. I could hardly run a mile on the track. I kept at it though and by June I had no problem finishing the 5K in under 29 minutes. I am not the type to be content with a 5K so I went on to run a 10K that October and was up to half marathons by March of the following year. My quick build up caused a hip injury that made me take four months off of running. So, start slowly and progress slowly. Being injured was enormously depressing.

I've since run two marathons and have improved my 5K time to under 23 minutes.

Feel free to PM if you have questions or whatever. I'm a personal trainer and I would love to help someone get into running.

BTW, the advice about getting good shoes is #1. The wrong shoes will cause you pain and injury. Best if you can find a running store that will watch you run and analyze your gait. I ran in the wrong shoes for a long time and it caused knee pain. Now that I'm in the right shoe, the pain is gone. We have three stores that watch you run in Seattle, they don't charge for it...just the shoes. Hopefully you have something similar in your area.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

"I tried running once but found that my drink spilled frequently, which was both wasteful and inconvenient, so I had to stop." as melmoth so nicely put it.......... I totally hear you.....

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Crazy, I'm starting back to the gym today...was gonna post and whine about it, but here you've gone and done it for me!

I kinda like to start out slow...and then taper off...

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

that sounds dissappointing to me......

• luna2
    luna2

Looks like you got some good tips from the experts. Good luck with it!

I used to run, but I had trouble with shin splints, so I stopped. I do plan to take up walking, but I'm not sure when. I'm waiting for the day that I wake up and actually want to do it. LOL

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Hey, my goal is to run a marathon next year, so I know I need to start running now.

Saturday: ran/walked 45 minutes

Sunday: walked 4 hours

Monday: nothin'

Anyone in the Chicago area need a running partner to chat with about x-jw while sweating bullets?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit