Running??????

by vitty 28 Replies latest social physical

• vitty
    vitty

Im really interested in starting to jog or run.

What would be a good speed to start and how far would be a good goal?

I know power walking is about 6k an hour, for 30 to 40 minutes but what about running???

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

First get very good shoes. Then for thirty minutes a day, walk for 5 minutes then run for 30sec-1min, then walk for 5 mins, then run, etc.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Below is a link to a great program to start on. Just remember a few very important things: Run using good quality shoes designed for long distance running and do not run on concrete or asphalt.

You can get the shoes from a shop that specializes in running. The people there will also be able to help you choose a pair of shoes right for you and the way you walk/run.

You need the avoid running on concrete and asphalt because these surfaces are very hard and over time will cause running related injuries to your joints. I prefer to run on either a treadmill or soft running surface that is at a local high school. The surface at the school looks like asphalt only it is a sponge like rubber material that absorbs a lot of the shock of your foot striking the surface.

Good Luck!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Just backing up what the others have said really. The footwear is very important. I used to do 10k road races in the days before they began to properly develop running shoes. I've now got damaged knee and ankle joints.

Other than that... ENJOY!!!!

• Dustin
    Dustin

I still run marathons and half marathons. I could give you good advice on shoes, as I worked for Eastbay for many years. Brands to look at are Asics, Brooks, and Saucony. New Balance are over rated unless you need lots of support. The cushioning in New Balance tends to be very hard. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from Nike running shoes unless you have very narrow feet. Any questions shoot me a PM.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If they can stay healthy, I hear the Brazilian team training in England is going to be very fast and VERY motivated this year.

Yes, I am going to hell for that post :-D

• Dustin
    Dustin

By the way the post Elsewhere gave you has very good advice in it. That is a great schedule to follow.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~barely concealed snigger~ Oh gawd, somebody stop me. It's crass, but I couldnae help it! Somebody shoot six before I do!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and you can always start of slowly by walking regularly and build up to running

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Alternatively you could run like Phoebi Buffet, from Friends..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit