Should an Elder be involved in any of the following????

by pr_capone 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Pwned
    Pwned

i thought the new rule was along as you werent a military member everything else was up to your conscience now, cuz dont they even let people in other countries do their mandatory military service as long as they arent combatant jobs?

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Geesh............I must be getting old and forgetful. Must be something in my psyche that for some reason, I don't think of past things too much. I forgot about a job I had from 1987 to 1994 with a large U.S. Corporation that made coolant pumps for the Navy's nuclear subs and aircraft carriers. I could have had this job 3 years earlier but turned it down because I thought I would be violating the neutrality BS. I was an elder when I got hired.

Anyhow, once I found out that there were 2 JW elders working there, and after a ton of questions by myself about them to others who knew them, I eagerly applied for the job and got it. The plant was 26 miles from my home and the elders working there lived about another 20 miles in the opposite direction. They both are retired now with over 35 years of employment there. There were also two other JW's working there who were not elders.

Needless to say, the permission to work there was the fact that our paychecks did not come from the Navy. They came from the corporation. And...........it was said that we were not producing weapons, that we made support products that in fact could be used in civilian applications.

Go figure! But it was a job to die for........the best job I ever had until Clinton cut the defense budget.

Damn.........who knows what else might be excavated from the memory bank of my brain that might be informative?

HappyDad

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Is there something left ot be said about possibly stumbling someone because of the work he has chosen to do?

I know for a fact that had I still been a witness and I found this out, I would have been severely disturbed by this fact.

Kansas District Overbeer

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I really don't give a damn what the WTS thinks about my job circumstances, but out of curiosity, what about this:

I work at a shipyard which directly builds nuclear powered aircraft carriers, in fact, we are currently building the CVN77, which will be named the George H W Bush (after the elder Bush, not the younger). So, according to them, would I be able to keep this job or not? Or would they use that cop-out blanket statement of 'you have to decide this for yourself, morally'?

Now, the reason I ask is because my wife is studying with them, and I have been searching desperately for SOMETHING, ANYTHING, which would make her see what a crock of crap this organization is. If I could absolutely show her that by the beliefs of these people, I would be required to quit my job (which is fairly well paying, and I am the sole income provider), she just might see the light.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

welcome to the board "allalongthewatchtower".

I strongly recommend you get a copy of Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom by Raymond Franz. Also Apocalypse Delayed by James Penton. Those books should help summerize what is wrong with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

But be forwarned, if your wife is studying with them, they already warn her about persecusion from family members. So go slow and appeal to her critical thinking and love of family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit