How I got out of JWs, they showed me the way!

by out of the box 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I read the experiences such as OOTB and Frannie, I am humbled .When I was "in" I saw a few things that were wrong, bit not as bad as you have described. Still, you have to be within a situation to appreciate it . I sincerely hope I was never party to anybody feeling as bad as you have been

I wonder if part of the reason for some ot these things is that the congo always takes such a lead from the elders, rather than being left to act on their own. If your Group Study Overseer take the initiative to organize something, then you may get help. If he is a dingbat who forgets you, nothing happens...

• out of the box
    out of the box

I am not sure if my JW experiences made me strong or if it was the way I am made. If you grow up in the borg as some have called it here, they take the credit for all that is good in you. They say they instilled all that is good. But, we are born this way! How can they take credit for something inherently good in man? Isn't that to the creator's credit? After all the sun shines on the wicked as well!

I was in my early 20's when I went in to the JW org. I can say I was a shy person then. I was already strong and independent. I got that from being raised on a farm in Nova Scotia. Those relatives of mine were no slouches! They worked hard every day, there was all sorts of jobs to be done, and nothing was wasted. There were gardens and animals to tend to, equipment to keep repaired where my grandfather was a blacksmith as well, I was with him pulling on those bellows to keep the fire hot. There was always something to do to keep us alive and our needs met. I think a farm is a unique experience in teaching you how to survive. When someone got sick, even in the neighborhood (village of about 100) we brought food over and kept vigil on them. When there was a fire with someone's home destroyed, we all took them in, my grandfather dropped off milk, fresh bread and butter to the homes of those that didn't have much (it was left at the door quitely for free) the neighbors pitched in with whatever they could spare or was extra. They shared the garden abundance with neighbors, there was bartering going on all the time. We were rich in that we didn't feel alone and didn't want for much.

This is what I thought I had found with the JWs. I saw a group wanting to work together. I thought I had found that little community I had left back home. I tried real hard to instill that in the JWs I knew, I shared with them, bartered services, food, etc. But, there was no reciprocating with most. Or, they didn't understand the concept. Once in America, I was always puzzled how people could live so close together and not be 'involved' with one another. My mother always said 'don't mix with them', they aren't the same as back home'. She wanted to bring us to America to have a better life. And of course the opportunities here were the best! We had good schools, the medical attentention was the best, in Massachusetts and saw things and lived a life we would never have had back in Nova Scotia. But, you know, I have not been that kind of rich since I left that farm! We lived near the ocean so we had lots of fish and seafood as well. (I visit as much as I can).

Now, can I give JWs ALL the credit for what made me what I am today? I think not, because the GOD I knew as a child and prayed to felt like the same one I talked to when I was a JW and is the same one I talk to this day. I am just glad for the opportunity to have read the bible cover to cover 4 times in that 9 years through the meetings. It is not a mystery any more. And, I learned how to speak publicly which has helped me out in college and at work and in my life. I have learned basic human rights through those scriptures that I stand up for. I do believe in the bible and I think the stories and in the written word give us quite an example to emulate. I mean, Christians of the world seem to be peace abiding citizens, and I am glad to be part of that group, especially with all the hate that exists out there. In my studies and research over the years since I left JWs I have learned a lot about people, and their need for a spiritual side is inherent in all of us. We all look to a higher power or for 'something' to believe in. After all, how did we get here? Why are we here? On and on are questions we could all come up with to explain life here on Earth. The bible offers some kind of reasoning why we are here and until there is a better answer it seems to satisfy the masses for now.

I am grateful for the 'soapbox' you board members here have allowed me to step up on and state my opinions and beliefs. Thank you again.

out of the box

• out of the box
    out of the box

BluesBrother,

We were on about the same time and I saw your post after writing mine. I think you are right. Some were blessed with good elders. The ones we had were mixed with former druggies, thrown out of school, or former outcasts of society in thier former lives. I was not lucky enough to have been in the best group. There were a couple of great elders that died shortly after I came in (they were old and sick). The newer group were younger and more into the ego part of it. I should not blame all JWs for their short comings.

out of the box

• greendawn
    greendawn

If you are the kind of person that needs to engage in spiritual activity there are many serious non cultish religions where you can operate, the jws are at the end of the day just a travesty of christianity they are on the fringes. There obviously is a spiritual inclination in man and therefore there is more than the material animal type body of the evolutionists.

• Ellie
    Ellie

The way you were treated is digusting, scandalous in fact, its the one thing that gets me really mad, the hypocrisy of it all.

How dare they call themselves gods people when this is the way they treat their own, I guess if you were 'a bible study' you'd have had half the congreagation falling over themselves to help you out in order to give a good witness.

They make me sick!

• Carol
    Carol

The way some of the posters here were treated is sickening.....but I have to agree with the concept that if you had decent human beings as elders, your treatment was better. The congo I grew up in helped everyone as much as they could, but a lot of the elders were uneducated and what would be referred to in the "world" as "white trash". My Mother always complains to my brothers and I about our associating with "white trash" now that we have faded....and I think....these people are the same type of people we grew up with in the "truth".....the judgmental attitude of the JW's is probably the biggest reason I left.

• anewme
    anewme

OOTB, thankyou for your well expressed letter! You have experienced a great breakthrough in your understanding. I will look forward to your future postings as you are saying things that really reach my heart. I too am gathering all the good I learned to one place and all the bad I experienced to another and am in the process of trying to sort it all out.

You had the advantage of your strong upbringing by solid people. I liked hearing about your youth and the generous townspeople. I'm sure the JW message only added to your total happiness. But the new set of Witnesses serving Jehovah let you down. They are coming in from this current world as it is. I'm sure the same discouragement is going on in all the religions.

Im sure being an old timer as they call anyone in the org over 30 years is often a lonely road.

Even though you have left I'm sure many remember your acts of generosity and kindness.
    You were a fine example of Christianity in action for them.

Please keep posting your fine letters and remind us all to continue to be the godly persons we want to be but now outside of the org.

thankyou,

Anewme

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    'YOU MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING AGAINST JEHOVAH FOR THAT TO HAVE HAPPENED TO YOU!!!

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

hi outofthebox,

it was a similar experience to yours that finally did it for me with the jws. i broke my leg at work and couldn't get around for a while, but did the elders care? not really - the po phoned to ask why i hadn't been to the meeting on the day it happened as i had a talk, and at the end of the month i was counselled for not making my hours as a pioneer! not one of them visited, it was my next door neighbours, a muslim family, who helped with shopping etc, and when i finally recovered and attended the kh again it was the circuit overseers visit. he was more bothered about my recent lack of time in the ministry than if i had recovered or not, so much for brotherly love! i am so happy for you that you, like me, have discovered how much sweeter life can be away from "the truth". all the best

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

OutOfTheBox, your story SO parallels my own! I was raised in a large, caring Italian family. My mother married my stepfather when I was 5 yrs old, so I grew up around a relatively close-knit loving family that was loud and large and full of fun. There were 9 brothers, 4 of whom were quadruplets, their wives and children, and various cousins and their families scattered all over town. There was the dark side of some of them, of course. I was also molested by my stepfather and some of the uncles. They also made sure I was falsely discredited as a sort of "Dolce Vita" among the whole family so that I was frowned upon and in order to insure that they wouldn't get any heat from other family members should I tell on them. They needn't have worried. The subject was such a taboo in the '50's and 60's that I didn't dare say anything because of what they'd done. I thought there was something wrong with me.

There were family get-togethers or barbecues nearly every weekend. The quads and a few of the brothers and their wives bought property on a street way out in the Southwest end of town and named the street "Quad Lane." The whole family pitched in with their carpentry, brick-laying, plumbing and electrician skills and built all their homes out there. There was a BBQ every weekend when everyone would gather to observe the labor and pitch in to help get the homes built and have a ton of fun doing it.

But other than the dark side, there was the camaraderie and fun-loving bunch that I dearly loved being a part of. I guess my best memories of the way it was were pre-teen. It meant so much to me. Consequently, when I grew up, married and divorced, then had 3 kids to raise on my own without help from their father, I grew fiercely independent. And I was mainly on my own, making a life for us, so I did the best that I could. My older sis found jdubs when I was in my late 20's and I took her word that these were the people I'd been looking for. By that time, I was looking for the group of ppl here on earth that were God's ppl, because I knew they'd be somewhat like my step-family had been without the dark side, and I so missed that camaraderie and togetherness. Boy, was I wrong!

They dA'd my oldest unbaptised son when he got in trouble with the law, having been led astray by a bad associate. He was sent away for a time to a juvenile "camp" and the elders and MS said they would write to him and encourage him. They did nothing. Then when they knew it was almost time for him to come home, they announced his dA'ing from the platform without even notifying me about it first! Of course, they didn't notify him either and left it up to me to tell him when he came home with a repentant heart and renewed determination to do their God's will. It was left up to me to tell him in the face of this and it crushed him and destroyed all hope for him. He left home before he was 18 and I don't blame him a bit. That was here in SE Texas. I wept on the "shoulder" of the circus serpent about how the congs weren't doing or providing any help for teens in the borg, but it didn't do any good.

My daughter was dF'd for jumping the broom with the busboy from the restaurant where she worked at the time. Though she was repentant and they got married, the elders dF'd her anyway, determining for themselves that she was unrepentant. She put me through hell every time I was around her for the next 10 yrs, but we finally mended "fences" and she knows now that I only did the best I could for my children. Parents have limits on what they can do for their kids. That was here in SE Texas, too.

When my youngest son and I moved to California, tagging along after my older sis in 1988, I found the congs out there to be sorely lacking in love, also. Oh, yeah, there were a few loving, caring ppl scattered here and there among the congs, as is usually the case, but the lot as a whole was rotten. I told yall what the elders did when I needed help moving after the car accident. My son and I sat through the dF'ing of a young pioneer sister while the PO doing the announcement graphically (sights and smells) described the act of fornication she was being dF'd for while the pioneer brother was only publicly reproved. She sat there totally crushed and crying uncontrollably through the announcement.

There was also the time when my youngest was trying to be approved for baptism and he was working so diligently to study and get out in field service. An elder from the KH we were attending at the time (we changed congs 3 times within the space of 4 yrs) promised to pick him up for field service one morning. My son eagerly went outside to wait in the parking lot for the elder to arrive. It was cold and raining and he'd forgotten his jacket, but I considered that he'd be in the elder's car most of the time and didn't worry. Approx. 90 minutes later, my son came back in crying and heartbroken. The elder had just arrived, having left his own showboat of a vehicle in the KH parking lot and squeezed into a mid-sized car with a bunch of pioneers, and he told my son they didn't have room for him in the car, so he'd hafta do it "another time." My son lost all zeal for the spoof they call the truth and jdub association.

These are just a coupla hi-lights of what went on. We were spied on by someone assigned to do so (they admitted it when I asked 'em) and much more.....there was much, much more badness that went on. But, as you can see, it's a hypocritical borganization and deserves to be deserted. The borg, as a whole, is a "wild-a beest" and deserves to be "roasted," too. They destroy faith, families and lives.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit