Thinking outside of what is allowed

by coolhandluke 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Carmel
    Carmel

Welcom Doolhand..

Just want ot assure you that life can be wonderful w/o the guilt pushing relatives and "friends". I left at about 15 and have gone through the "he's dead to us" treatment. After the first few miliseconds, the pain went away and the reality of freedom of thought and action quickly replaced it. That was nearly 50 years ago and to this day I attest it was the best decision of my life.

I wish you the best and hope your family comes to there senses, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

carmel

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I'm sure your Grandmother is holding to the party line because she thinks its in your interest, sounds like a hardliner. I'm sure that the bond you say exists will kick in and she will eventually ease up. I hope so anyway. Glad you found a significant other to share your life with. One who doesn't own a "Bookbag".

Welcome on board.

W.Once

• garybuss
    garybuss

Your grandmother is not punishing you for YOUR failure, she's punishing you for HER failure. She's a sick individual.

Your anxiety about Armageddon is a normal part of leaving a high control Apocalyptic group. We often get a post exit syndrome with symptoms like Apocalyptic anxiety, guilt, PTSD, and depression. Some of us have benefited from getting exit counseling from a therapist qualified in post exit (incarceration) syndrome.

Many of us who were raised by Witness parents were institutionalized and we had difficulties related to that institutionalizing when we tried to leave the group. It's good to kinda be ready for that. Randy Watters wrote some good articles on cognitive dissonance on www.freeminds.org I'd suggest checking that all out.

My early mistakes all had to do with confrontations. I'd advise all exiting Witnesses to never confront any believing Witnesses. Once those confrontations happen and those relationships are fractured they may never be repaired. Build walls but don't needlessly confront. I don't allow believing Witnesses access to my family. I'd never allow a Witness access to children . . . never, never, never! I made that mistake once. Never again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit