Home school

by stop 20 Replies latest social family

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hi "stop", and welcome. I was brought up a JW for most of my childhood and now thankfully am totally away from that religion.

It was hard going to school and being a JW. I was made fun of a LOT. I couldn't participate in anything and felt a terrible sense of always being left out (which still lingers today I'm afraid). JWs at the time were using these reasons as justification for home schooling their kids.

As crazy as my mother was/is, she did not believe in home schooling. She felt kids need to learn how to deal with teasing/bullying, and how to "resist temptations" because the JWs believe there are ever so many of those lurking around every corner, thanks to Satan.

Looking back, I believe my mother's decision was best. Being taught by professionals far surpasses what my mother could have done by reading textbooks to me. I was enlightened about a lot of different cultures, philosophies, etc. I also had the opportunity to use lots of different types of equipment I would not have been able to use at home (shop, computers, etc.). Hell, I even saved tons of money on my car insurance because I took Driver's Education.

There were many beneficial experience in going to public school and I would not trade them if I could. It was so awful being in a destructive cult, that I often looked forward to going to school. It was my only escape into reality!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit