Home school

by stop 20 Replies latest social family

• stop
    stop

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and hope to get some advice from the experts.

My exwife is a fully JW dedicated do it all convert had decided to put our 9 y.o. daughter to home school. Not that she didn't even discuss that with me even though we have a joint legal, I found this out from our daughter. Only a few months ago the girl told me how she will miss school during summer and now she is all for home school. She has great grades and is a very gifted child.

It'll be a shame for her to stay home with her uneducated mom and not having any goals in life, not communicating with other kids. I'm planning to go to court to fight for her to have a normal education. Do you guys think I have a chance to win? It's gonna cost a lot but my daughter;s future is priceless. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

Brad

• kls
    kls

Welcome Stop , so you say your exwife is uneducated ,well that maybe a plus for you in the courts but everyone has the choice to home school their children. Some states have certain restrictions for home schooled children so i would check this out in you area.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Do what's best for the child...period.

u/d (of the home schooling is overated class)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

My sister home-schooled her 3 kids. The boy went to HS starting Jr year because he was exceptionally bright and learned to enjoy study and school. The girls only knew what they needed to know. They are socially very immature and they are in their late 30's and 40's!

Stop - fight for your child! If mom wants to add to her daughters education and get involved with the school system, and work with her in addition to her regular studies, that's one thing, but home schooling should never be taken lightly.

I fear she would just be producing another JW Stepford Wife with just enough education to be a wife and house cleaner.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Welcome Stop! You're in the right place. Were you a JW? Or just married to one?

• nilfun
    nilfun

Please don't let your ex isolate your gifted little girl.

Not all homeschooling families are neglectful of their children's educations, but your situation seems likely to produce a young woman who will get cheated out of many great opportunities -- to learn, to be with other children her age, and a support system that can help her get on a university-bound track.

• orion
    orion

I was homeschooled and so was my brother....my brother graduated from homeschool but I begged to go back my freshman year....i had to beg for 2 years until my parents let me go back my junior year........i was so out of place so nieve(sorry can't spell). Homeschool actually set me back since they count credits different then public schools. I had to take junior and sophmore english and science and gym, since in homeschool there is no gym. I had to learn how to function in the real world......It was hard for me. My brother on the other hand, stayed in the truth and got married and is still in the same place..married to a witness sitting on the fence so to speak. I ended up takeing my GED otherwise i would have to attend school an extra year to catch up. Its deffiantlly not for everyone, but if your daughter is a people person then please don't take away her social life. my parents thought this would be a good way to protect me from worldly interests. I may have recieved a good education but I didn't grow up learning how to function around regular people....just JW's....... i hope things work out......but if she does go on homeschool try to make an agreement with your ex that is your daughter wishes to go back then she should be allowed. If you have any other questions for me feel free to e-mail me.........by the way I started homeschool when i got to 6th grade.

• TheListener
    TheListener

You have joint legal custody. You should have equal say about whether your child is homeschooled or public schooled.

Welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated. We're nosy.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as a teacher I would strongly recommend conventional schooling rather than home schooling.

I have the same fears for my daugher mixing with the kinds of kids I teach, but I think the answer to that is to find the VERY BEST school you possibly can, not to withdraw from school entirely. So many other skills are learned at school, in addition to the academic benefits.

And even Jehovahs Witnesses cannot be protected from the world forever. When school ends they have to go out and find a job. BEtter to learn to mix with the world in a reasonable way now, than to be completely isolated and then thrown into the world. Your daughter is way more likely to respond in an immature way when she is finally allowed to meet the world. Even from a witness point of view this is a bad idea.

Best of luck with your fight. Best wishes to your bright daughter.

• stop
    stop

That's crazy but the divorce descree says that in case of disagreement my ex has the final say on educational and religuos issues. I only have a final say on emergency blood transfusions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit