How Do You React When You Realize You Are Wrong?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you readily admit it? Do you still try to justify yourself? Do you ignore it?

• prophecor
    prophecor

I'm never wrong

• minimus
    minimus

I can relate.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I always try to be reasonable,and admit if i'm wrong.Usually,there is no "right answer" in many problems.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, i agree. while there is no "right answer" to many problems, one of the things that i find most exciting about being out of the org, is that i can admit when i am wrong about my worldview. i may debate it a lot, but i bow to data and evidence, which are not always forthcoming in a lot of debates. at that point, it's about probabilities.

so ya, if there is evidence that i am wrong, i'll admit it and apologize. have done it several times in the last year.

• daystar
    daystar

Oh yeah, that's been a big thing to overcome. Wen I was a JW and for several years after, I could never be wrong about important things. Even when deep inside I knew I was wrong, or at least there was a question, I could never let the other person know this.

I'm much better now about it, but I still find myself falling back into it on occasion.

My parents, who are still JWs, and in particular my mother, can never be wrong. In addition, they both rarely ever, ever apologize for any wrongdoings (ugh, can't believe I pulled that word back out) towards others in the family.

• minimus
    minimus

Tetra, I accept your apology on the thread about capital punishment.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

"D'oh!"

My ex husband #3 used to say that I had this need to be right all the time. My response was "yeah, but I usually am!" And I usuallly was.

Today I'm (usually) willing to admit when I make a mistake or a tresspass, and even go farther when required and make it right. (afterall I'm usually only wrong once or twice a year!)

The more one practices self analyzation, and amends, the easier it gets to take care of "it" immediately.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Are you kidding, while in the borg that's all I did was apologize to "seek peace and pursue it," "so far as it depended on my to be peaceable with others". So, yes, I do admit when I'm wrong and apologize. I do not however suck up to simpleminded jackasses who expect me to kiss thier butt because that "preserves unity." KMA. People I know at the university are taken back when I apologize for a slight that I think was rude, often they didn't even notice it. Different set of awarness. I'm getting used to it. Not becoming insensitve just becoming balanced.

W.Once

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Tetra, I accept your apology on the thread about capital punishment.

HA HA! LOL! you got me! darn it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit