Elders

by sammielee24 17 Replies latest jw friends

• xjwms
    xjwms

Thank Gawd I never made elder.

MS was bad enough.

Heard many stories from elders, on every topic.

• minimus
    minimus

1980 to 2002 with a few years off for stupid (Organization reasons). Especially at the end----I hated it!

• willyloman
    willyloman

About half the elders I ever knew fell into the "decent and compassionate" camp. Some of them became hardened. Some couldn''t handle the cognitive dissonance and resigned. Some are still serving, still trying to make a difference, swimming upstream, hoping for reform. For them, it's a long, slow spiritual death. That was me. I "died" about two years ago and have been reborn. I spent more than 20 years as a dub elder. It's much nicer out here.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Not elder...but almost...

MS for over decade...and told I was "too good" to be moved up...as I scared the "old timers"

CO told me they were afraid I'd put them all out to pasture...he was right!

But I did EVERYTHING...cept be on a JC...for which I'm grateful now.

u/d (of the carrot chasing class)

• jgnat
    jgnat

For their power over people for good or ill, elders are a trigger for all kinds of emotions for ex-JW's. Here's a memorable thread on the topic, though it reopened fresh wounds:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/69120/1.ashx

I am gratified that the thread cooled then degenerated in to a twilight zone of hair gel. A weird sort of healing that JWD is famous for.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I was an Elder back in the mid to late 70s. I took the responsibility seriously as did most brothers. I hated the Elder's meetings as they would drag on forever due to frivilous debates about petty matters.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was an elder for over 10 years..did everything..loved it all..more details in my bio

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes looking back I thought I enjoyed but in reality just a compqany man -the old title of company servant was far more apt as I am sure mnay would agree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit