Are the trolley dollies* getting any results? Or, is it just another waste of life?

by fulltimestudent 37 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Maybe they ought to offer folks a coffee, soda or scotch along with the mags. They'd get more takers.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    If it got results....  Wouldnt that be the waste of life?
  • user100
    user100
    i see at least 3 - 4 trollies posted in different locations in a busy train station every weekday... i have not seen a single person talk to them except for this one time a crazy homeless person was talking to them.
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I know folks who have been involved in this nonsense since its inception as the "Manhattan Project."

All I have ever heard is that:

a) they place a lot of magazines/tracts

b) other religious nutjobs come up and try to convert them (this is in NYC, BTW)

c) people who are "evidently" apostates occasionally approach and bring up "controversial" topics or call them a cult. They just try to ignore it. 

What I have never heard is:

a) we started a bunch of bible studies doing this

b) so-and-so came into the "truth" by table/cart witnessing

My thoughts: this has nothing to do with increasing membership by reaching more people. I think it has more to do with the mind control aspect of this thing. 

In regular FS, you aren't always "on": you ride out to the territory with friends, chat, go for coffee, etc. Only when you knock on the door are you in full JW mode.

With cart witnessing, you still get to chat with your buddies, but 100% of the time you are standing there you are in full JW mode - you don't get a break by walking down the block a bit or getting in your car. You are ON 100% of the time. I think that has a HUGE influence on how people view themselves. In other words, It's all part of the brainwashing crap.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Full set: http://imgur.com/a/ARHEi

(the answers for the review are available in multiple languages here: https://mega.nz/#F!yhEzRDaK   Use key: qNbNWH8g1xov38UF6yJfeQ  )

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Went shopping yesterday afternoon, seemed to be only one witness 'on trolley-dolly duty' (and this time he had the trolley facing the oncoming pedestrian traffic, but had actually located it so that people had to walk around it).

But this (youngish) guy had found a way to keep himself from getting bored. He was really focussed on chatting up a rather pretty young woman -  couldn't tell if she was a JW, but it was clear the trolley could look after itself.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    trolleys are a good way for pioners to use their hours up.I was in my next big city this week (600,000 people) and they had a trolley full of teaching books that were printed in 2006 and the OLD version of "what does the bible really teach".In my own city they have had teaching books from as lomg ago as 1998.
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

At a recent meeting of a number of congregations wanting to coordinate their efforts so as to avoid duplication of witness carts in the same area-it was mentioned that many store owners are complaining to city officials and strip mall management that JWs & Witness carts are a nuisance and bother. Why am I not surprised?

So, no, apparently JWs are not having good results and yes JW cart witnessing is indeed a waste of time.

Me thinks JW Cart Witnessing days are numbered! YAY!

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    trolleys will be here for a long time,it helps the pioneres to use their hours up and even if they run short of money to print magazines books etc all they need to do is to do what they are doing already just print a load of single sheet tracts
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    I finally saw one for the first time in my town. The JW sat on a park bench far enough away that there would be no practical way for her to even strike up a conversation with someone taking mags off the cart. It's just a way to count time and waste time, just like all other field service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit