Pipe bomb at Bethel.

by Etude 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Etude
    Etude

Does anyone remember the incident that happened back in the summer of 1974 at what was called the "Squibb" building at Bethel where a pipe bomb detonated at one of the doors just under the bridge that spanned the complex across Columbia Heights? I was at Bethel at the time and I even have a picture of two NYPD cops standing in front of the scene the day after (if I can only find the picture). I was thinking of posting it on this forum but I don't know how. The incident was certainly not publicized in the Watchtower literature, but it made the usual underground circuit. I don't know what became of the incident or if they ever found out who did it. I wouldn't put it past anyone in the Organization at the time to blame it on apostates. Anyway, somebody was pissed off or some kids were putting on a dangerous prank. I remember serving as night watchman at the building across the street from the bomb site. It was not a good stint. If you don't remember this, or even if you do, do you know of any other similar incidents where an "attack" was made on the Society's property?

Etude.

• jomac
    jomac

I also read an article on this having happened. I think it was in the New York Times. A Watchtower magazine article once mentioned about an incident that occurred in Australia in a hall. Apparently an angry fireman did it and was put in prison. I think one person lost their life and another one or two were severely injured.

On this website itself via search over a period of years you will probably find a couple other threads discussing newspaper articles in which it speaks of persons such as irate youths acting against halls. I think in one incident an angry young girl rode by a hall on a bicycle and tossed a device that injured the building some but no one was inside at the time and she was caught. In other cases they were not caught.

I think another case involved fire possibly set by a parent of a child molested by an elder but that this was not established. Quite a few halls have been set on fire, also maybe related to Watchtower's elders being told to hush up pedophilia and the like.

Possibly a news service like the AP could help or Randy Watters or Bill Bowens may have some clippings or additional more concrete leads for you?

• FMZ
    FMZ

Well, during the renovation of the Assembly Hall in Manchester England I was helping at, there was apparently some scrap wood left up against the building. Some arsonists decided to take advantage of that, and lit a fire. It gutted a large section of that part of the building. My father and I were called shortly afterward to see if we could do security watch for the night.

Took weeks to repair the work. As much as I hate the cult, mindless arson like that still pisses me off.

FMZ

• gespro
    gespro

Hello Etude!

I do recall hearing something about that...

I heard a story about a Hall where a pipe bomb went off in front of the platform killing a 'brother' in the front row [who had just gotten reinstated]. Of course the bro telling me this said that it was good that the deceased had just gotten in good standing with the congregation

gespro -of the 'I'm so sick of them' class

• sf
    sf

http://www.exjws.net/vg4.htm

Early on the morning of Monday, November 18, 1974, a pipe-bomb explosion ripped open an 1ron gate and shattered windows in the Watchtower Society's printing complex. The police could suggest no motive for the crime. No one was willing to believe the bombing was a reaction to the Court’s ruling; but the Heights' usually civic-minded residents, while deploring the violent act, exhibited no surge of neighborly goodwill.

sKally

• jgnat
    jgnat

I bet if there were a photo, Etude, it could be bought here.

http://www.nytimes.com/nytstore/photos/

[email protected]

• ArtfulDodger
    ArtfulDodger

I think it just goes to show that pipes are just as bad as any other form of smoking . . and the fact that a NYPD chap was there to mark the occasion is proof for me that even the police can't be trusted when Dubs phobias are involved . .sheesh - what a world

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Hmmm. I was on one of the first specially arranged Bethel tour groups from Portland Oregon that November (1974). I dont' recall anything about it, not that I would nor cared, really.

The cong. I grew up in was a bit of a rough neighborhood and burning rubbish in the mail box (accessing the study room) wasn't uncommon. They steel-lined the mailbox after that. Cars of people attending meetings were broken into and put in gear and rolled down the street. General pranks.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    but the Heights' usually civic-minded residents, while deploring the violent act, exhibited no surge of neighborly goodwill.

Interesting... eh? WTBTS lousy neighbors?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Actually I remember that. I was a kid at the time and my parents were notorius for keeping me home from school to go on tours or for lunch. So I was there that day or week (can't remember which) and remember the blown out doorway and side of the building. That was actually the literature pickup and a doorway back then. It was also I believe the start and end of one of the tours.

Also in 1978, a Kingdom Hall was firebombed in Brooklyn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit