35 Yrs ago today - We rocked!

by Amazing1914 72 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai
    We were so sure of ourselves, and so sure of our future. We would never have to raise children in this old system ... because our children would live in paradise

I was Born in 1970. I remember having "Armaggedon drills" with my parents. Learning to hide, hearing the horror stories about nazi germany, Malawi, Mozambique. Horror stories about demons.Quaking in fear every night as a 3 and 4 year old waiting for the other shoe (armaggeddon) to drop. Long hot assemblies going late into the night. Service in hot and cold weather for long hours, getting dragged to the back, hearing my little frieds get the SHIT beat outta them.

Sure, the get togethers were fun. But rocked? Maybe for you zealous parents. For us little ones? No, It kinda sucked.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Amen Jim, and Amen again. The Pre-1975 era I remember best as I was baptized at our local distrct convention in Portland, Oregon, in 1971, at 14. I was pulled out of HS after my sophomore year to go into the ministry full time, in 1973. In 1975 I found a husband (I hated F/T ministry) and got married..... my personal armageddon began then with the horrid congregation I moved into, the shunning because of the family I married into, and later the severe spousal abuse.

And I remember the 8-day assemblies - one in Vanc. BC in 69 especially, as it was during the first moonwalk. My knees got burnt sitting in the sun.

But I do remember the fun times had. The congregational picnics, and one especially where we were playing a game of flag football and I caught a pass (though forced outta bounds) and my dad was amazed that I had any clue on football, let alone the finesse with which I caught the ball.

I remember thinking the elder arrangement was a good thing, even though I liked our PO. I grew up with his daughter.

Swim parties, rollerskate parties, and group "dating" with the gang I grew up with.

Learning sign language and translating during meetings, and talking with friends who knew how to sign during assemblies.

Working the concession stands serving hotdogs and hamburgers.

Going around with my dad delivering bags of groceries during a show storm.

Remembering my dad calling up bro. Tom who owned a heating oil company and ordering a full tank for so-and-so and to bill him.

What I couldnt understand was why that baptist woman who took in foster children and fed any child in her neighborhood was going to die at armageddon. That and other "doubts" remained with me until I discovered that the "worldly" were no different than I am.

Amen, again.

• seven006
    seven006

Jim,

Is Kesar stadium the one time Candle Stick Park stadium in SF? I don’t watch baseball so I don’t keep up with all the name changes. As a kid we use to go to Candle Stick Park for assemblies. I remember sitting there with my back aching and face getting sun burnt all day from sitting on the hard wood benches out in the open. At night freezing my little ass off as we watched the fog roll over the stadium walls like a tsunami wave crashing down on us. I hated that place. It took over an hour just to get out of the damn parking lot at night. …………………………….

• sf
    sf

In my opinion, this is a sad thread.

Avishai sums it up for me too:

Sure, the get togethers were fun. But rocked? Maybe for you zealous parents. For us little ones? No, It kinda sucked.

I clearly recall having to move our mattresses under the door frames and we slept there many a-nights in fear. Daylight was a welcoming sight.

Not to mention the wretched Paradise Lost book clearly showing us kids, graphically, exactly WHY we were under those door frames.

This mask of a religion obliterated my entire family nucleus.

Yea, it sure rocked alright. Rocked our very foundation.

{{ sarcastic applause }}

sKally

• La Capra
    La Capra

Jim,

I was 2 and a half, and 99% likely at your baptismal assembly. I don't remember that assembly at all. Then the following one at Kezar Stadium I do remember. My hand got slammed in a very heavy door, and I had a badly injured finger for quite some time after that. I do remember being at Kezar in 71. Yeah-really early mornings and really late nights. I don't remember much, but I vividly remember that the lights at night made anything blue look purple.

Shoshana

• avishai
    avishai

I also lost my favorite quilt (security blanket) at one of those conventions in the early 70's at Oakland, '72 I think, Maybe '73. It had Dennis the menace on it. Also a Teddy bear with articulated joints answering to "daniel". Anyone see it? Thanks......

• seven006
    seven006

Avishai,

I agree, I’m 15 years older than you but was still a kid when the 1975 bullshit first came out and scared the hell out of all the JW parents. It turned them all into concentration camp commandants and all us kids into their great tribulation lab rats. It didn’t rock, it sucked!

A once every six-month get together didn’t make up for it. It was great for the parents because they could all get drunk and talk about how they were not drunk but only “felt good”. Then all us kids were forced into the middle of the room to eat stale Twinkies, greasy potato chips and play boring ass bible games. We couldn’t go off on our own to just talk about how shitty our lives were because our parents thought all of us would go hide in a dark corner and masturbate. IT SUCKED!!!

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Avishai and SF,

Wwe rocked, but life was not perfect. My wife and I were very young, and had no children until 1972. I don't know of any who had Armageddon drills, but I do recall some abusive parents. The difference today is that the organizations rocks for no one but the leadership.

Dave / Seven:

Kesar is the old 49rs football stadium located in the middle to west side of Golden Gate Park. When Candle Stick was built, the 49rs moved there. Kesar was/is a terrible stadium with nothing but wooden bench seats all the way around. I am not sure it is used for anything much these days.

Jim W.

• seven006
  • avishai
    avishai
    Wwe rocked, but life was not perfect. My wife and I were very young, and had no children until 1972. I don't know of any who had Armageddon drills, but I do recall some abusive parents

Oh, I don't think the drills were abusive per se. They were actually kinda fun, teaching me how to hide, etc. My parents just really, really, believed. Ya know, "what happens if the JW's are banned, what do you tell the authorities, etc". But it was really scary, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit