at a pioneer's birthday party... YEAH THAT'S RIGHT!

by in a new york bethel minute 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOLOLOL Severed head of a barbie doll......I'm not forgetting that one!

Now, to pick a victim...

• one
    one
    Just why were birthdays of pagan origin I never could understand, the pagans also had weddings and there is nothing wrong with that.

to channel time, energy, money and other resources to wt activities only

• Monski
    Monski

Didn't the dubs ban birthday parties because John The Baptist got his head cut off at one? Or have I got it wrong? Sorry for the question, but I've been out of the JW's for 15 years and some stuff is a bit hazey now. Please tell me I haven't just made that up!

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    just an occasion too have fun

therein lies your answer.

bethel minute

• jgnat
    jgnat

I also notice that the WTBTS frowns on any activity that acknowledges the individual. Thence, the canned presentations at a JW's funeral. Very dehumanizing.

I think rules like no birthdays, no mother's day, canned funerals is designed to make unquestioning drones.

Like, who are YOU, you worm, to question big, bad mother?

• Etude
    Etude

Holy crap! I never thought I'd hear that. At first, I thought that bethel minute's account was of just a party and necessarily a b'day party. However, from what I'm reading, I guess it does go on. How can they get away with it without sanctions? I take it that the official view that it's a no no still stands. How is it possible? My JW sister (the oldest) never agreed with the idea that there was anything wrong with celebrating your birthday. In spite of that, I don't think she ever dared to celebrate one, since her husband is an elder and her two sons are serving in Bethel. I would appreciate any ammunition anybody can give me to lob her way.

Etude.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Monski - the John-the-baptist beheading was one of the reasons I remember being thumped as to why JW's don't celebrate BD's. So you're not "loosing your head", erm, "mind".

• Monski
    Monski

Just a small word of advice, DON'T TRY TO CHANGE THEM! I tried with my parents and quickly realised it was a lost cause. They are totally brainwashed and will not listen to reason. Of course there is nothing wrong with celebrating a birthday but if you push it too far, you will be labled "apostate" and your family will never speak to you. I just hope that someday they will realise they are being misled, but until then, I will at least be able to talk to my parents. I am thankful for this forum as I can let my feelings out to like minded people, as nobody else understands what it is like.

• Monski
    Monski

Thanks Brenda. My mind is still intact - just about!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am with Brenda Cloutier on this one. Whaaaat?

Just a few years ago we "Marked" a sister for doing something like that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit