at a pioneer's birthday party... YEAH THAT'S RIGHT!

by in a new york bethel minute 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

a few days ago i had the privilege of being invited to a regular pioneer's birthday party. i met her a couple of weeks ago, and even though she knows i am inactive and have serious doubts, we hit it off on a social level. so that's why i was invited...
    here's the scenario: i show up at the restaurant and there are about 10 other dubs there, all respectable people (that coming from someone who loves to find faults in dubs). there was at least one gift that was sitting under the table (from another pioneer), and they all had a small cake with a candle on it sent to her later in the evening. she blew out the candle (sans making a wish, i'm sure) and ate the cake.

there was no overdrinking, no cursing, no general mischief. these people are good jw's and good citizens. so why was it okay for them to celebrate birthdays? what does that say about how most jdubs feel about this stupid rule? how would they explain why you shouldn't celebrate bdays to others, when they clearly do celebrate it? how is the next generation gonna feel about not only bdays, but other celebrations?

bethel minute

p.s. i was joking around all night to the bday girl about how she should attach a mill stone around her neck and throw herself into the sea. I'M STUMBLED BITCH! but i was more comforted than stumbled for some reason

• prophecor
    prophecor

Well that's just great that some are begining to put aside some of the tyranical controls that the Top Brass continue to push down the throats of the R&F. It's possible to have a good time without any of the debauchery that can be associated w / birthday parties.

If the case be because of the origin of celebrating birthdays or whatever the reason is, how many would be willing to not wear a wedding ring on thier finger which has a questionable origin? Paganistic, if I'm not mistaken.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I know quite a few JWs that in a hush-hush manner celebrate their own as well as their kids' birthdays on a yearly basis.

Be very quite, though! Mom WBTS doesn't approve!!!

DY

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I could never understand what the big freakin deal was about birthdays anyway. Besides, I am convinced that Job's children were celebrating their birthdays.

Dubs differ just for the sake of being different.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I've know Witnesses in good standing to openly celebrate birthdays with non Witness relatives for decades. As far as I know, no action was ever taken. I don't have a problem with it either way. Witness kids are always the losers. I could give a rat's ass for the adults.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I also know several Witnesses that celebrate birthdays at some level. I remember a few months before I left, one girl even invited me to a party, blatantly calling it "So-and-so's birthday party." Of course, at the time I was mortified. But now I think it's great that people are just up and deciding not to listen to the GB and their stupid rules. It's like a silent revolution.

SNG

• Scully
    Scully

Maybe the restaurant wasn't going to give her a free meal if she didn't do the B-day thing in its entirety. Where did you go, Mother Tucker's?

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

you mean. . . no one LOST THEIR HEAD????!!! (pun intended) feel free to gag!

• undercover
    undercover

I know some JWs who had a B-day party...only they didn't invite any JWs. They invited wordly family and friends. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get invited. I thought I had been inactive long enough for people to consider me as safe to invite to a rebellious affair such as this.

The birthday policy will slowly get dropped over the next generation or so of JWs. It just isn't being held up by the rank and file. The WTS will come up with some "new light" about it and call it a "conscience matter". Then by the next generation, no one will ever remember that b-days were taboo.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I know some JWs who had a B-day party...only they didn't invite any JWs. They invited wordly family and friends.

I have a relative that does this yearly also. They also do "the X-mas thang" on the DL. They hide the tree upstairs in a room away from the window and hurriedly take it down right after. It's a shame all the crap bill paying peopld have to do just to look good in front of the borg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit