how do JWs justify having children "in the last days?"

by kid-A 25 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

In the years leading up to 1975, there was an implicit (if not explicit) discouragement of having children given the proximity of armageddon.

For the most part, this seemed to have been ignored. My JW grandma now has great-great grandchildren. And on and on it goes. I have always

wondered how the dubs reconcile this in their minds. The catch-22 for the WTS is obviously that they cant afford losing more door-to-door

salesmen (especially the young and energetic) but they cant reconcile the logic of bringing babies into a wicked, wicked old system of things

that is about to be destroyed. Would you ever envision a time when the WTS will have no choice but to explicitely encourage the dubs

to "increase" their baby production to ensure their financial survival??? +=

• Dustin
    Dustin

Hard to say. If they try and preach to have kids, it would have to be reasoning along the lines of populating the New System.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In the past Rutherford was really against marriage a nd if jws did get married he was doing his best to discourage them from having children, the end was about to arrive!

So the dubs perhaps learnt something from this, seeing the childless old couples still waiting for the end in the 1970's.

• prophecor
    prophecor

The condom broke

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oops?

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I always wondered this myself when I was a teenager and they drilled into our heads that you shouldn't go to college and pursue a higher education to support yourself because you would be wasting 4 or 5 precious years of your life and what if armageddon came and caught you offguard?!!

Then the very same year I got baptized at the DC in 1987 they addressed that very topic "childrearing in the time of the end" and it was negative and discouraged and I do remember the Watchtower study article that came out later; however I dont think they written anything about that since then.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

*** Watchtower 1988 March 1 pp.18-22 Childbearing Among God's People ***

Childbearing Among God's People

[…]
    Childbearing Today

15 How should Christians view marriage and childbearing today, in this "time of the end"? (Daniel 12:4) It is truer than ever that "the scene of this world is changing," or, as another translation puts it, "the present scheme of things is rapidly passing away."-1 Corinthians 7:31, Phillips.

16 Now, as never before, "the time left is reduced." Yes, only a limited time remains for Jehovah's people to finish the work he has given them to do, namely: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14) That work must be accomplished before the end comes. It is, therefore, appropriate for Christians to ask themselves how getting married or, if married, having children will affect their share in that vital work.

An Ancient Example

17 Jesus likened the time of "the presence of the Son of man" to "the days of Noah." (Matthew 24:37) Noah and his three sons had a specific work to accomplish before the Flood. It involved building a gigantic ark and preaching. (Genesis 6:13-16; 2 Peter 2:5) When Jehovah gave instructions about the building of the ark, Noah's sons were apparently already married. (Genesis 6:18) We do not know exactly how long it took to build the ark, but it seems likely that it took several decades. Interestingly, during all this pre-Flood period, Noah's sons and their wives had no children. The apostle Peter specifically states that 'eight souls were carried safely through the water,' that is, four married couples but no children. (1 Peter 3:20) The sons' remaining childless was possibly for two reasons. First, in view of the approaching destruction by a deluge of waters, they had a divinely appointed job to do that required their undivided attention. Second, they doubtless felt disinclined to bring children into a world where "the badness of man was abundant in the earth and every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only bad all the time," a world "full of violence."-Genesis 6:5, 13.

18 This is not to say that the course of action taken by Noah's sons and their wives before the Deluge was meant to set the rule for married couples living today. Nevertheless, since Jesus compared Noah's day to the period in which we are now living, their example can provide food for thought.

"Critical Times"

19 Like Noah and his family, we are also living in "a world of ungodly people." (2 Peter 2:5) Like them, we are in "the last days" of a wicked system of things that is about to be destroyed. The apostle Paul prophesied that "the last days" of Satan's system would bring "critical times hard to deal with." Showing that raising children would be one of the things hard to deal with, he added that children would be "disobedient to parents." He stated that people in general, not excluding children and adolescents, would be "unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection." (2 Timothy 3:1-3) While Paul was here prophesying of conditions among worldly people, obviously such prevalent attitudes would make the rearing of children increasingly difficult for Christians, as many have experienced.

20 All the foregoing shows that it is necessary to have a balanced view of childbearing. While it can bring many joys, it can also bring many heartaches. It has advantages and disadvantages. Some of these will be considered in the following article.

[Picture on page 21]

Quick flight from Jerusalem would be more difficult for those with young children

• blondie
    blondie

It depends on your congregation and it depends on the individual JW as to whether the counsel people on having children. People do look at you twice if you have more than 2 but then people today do that any way It was worse in days gone by when the WTS actually put a date out there.

If JWs stopped having children, there would be no increase. The new ones coming in would not make up for the ones that are dying.

Blondie

• Frog
    Frog

From what i've seen of my generation (x) of dub children, most of them have chosen to leave or have been ousted. I doubt very much that reproducing random children, without cloning, would necessarily keep the orgs numbers steady and on the incline.

Funny you should mention this though, cause I was thinking about this very subject just yesterday. When my mother had my twin sisters now 15y/o she and my father were counselled for both the size of our expanding family, and the fact that they were still childraring so close to the end. 15years on, this "system" is still going strong, with no near end in sight, just around the corner, or even up ahead Frog x

• Scully
    Scully

The WTS has never encouraged JWs to have families, for as long as I can remember. They've always emphasized the negative side (the cost of raising children, the potential for heartache, woe to the pregnant woman, etc.), but seem to be resigned to the fact that people are people, and that the desire to have children can be an overwhelming one, or acknowledge that surprises sometimes happen.

It was funny that when we started letting people know that we were expecting our third, they automatically assumed it was a surprise (it wasn't). I actually had one Elder™ say to me, that it must have been an accident "because nobody would be stupid enough to plan to have a baby so close to Armageddon™." Some people are just tactless, rude and ought to put a sock in it. I asked him if he would feel better if I went and had an abortion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit