Intelligence Questions

by Simon 18 Replies latest social humour

• Simon
    Simon

Try these (I think I got them right, I'll post my answers after other people have had a go as well):

• A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1 more than the ball. How many pence does the ball cost?

• If it takes five machines, five minutes to make five widgets, how many minutes would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

• In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how many days would it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

SUCCESS at job interviews could soon come down to three questions. Scientists have devised the questions, including one about the cost of a bat and ball, as a new way of establishing the intelligence of candidates without the need for lengthy IQ tests.

Named the cognitive reflection test (CRT), it is also said to be a good indicator of how patient candidates are and how good they are at making decisions.

The test has been designed by Professor Shane Frederick of the MIT Sloan School of Management in America, who claims the questions are easy, in that their solution is easily understood when explained.

To arrive at the right answer candidates need to suppress the first response that springs 'impulsively' to the mind and instead work it out logically.

But of the 3,000 students Professor Frederick tested, fewer than half gave the correct answer to the first question about the relative cost of the bat and a ball.

When told that they cost a total of £1.10, and the bat costs £1 more than the ball they were asked to work out the cost of the ball. Most said 10p - which is wrong.

Of the study group, men were found to be more successful because they were more reflective in their answers than women, who were more inclined to go with their intuition.

Professor Frederick claims the CRT could soon replace more conventional IQ tests as well as personality tests beloved of employers. He said: 'Do you want someone running your company who doesn't think beyond their first impulse, or do you want someone who is willing to ask, 'Does this response really make any sense?''

Professor Frederick claims that those who do well on the CRT tend to be more patient when weighing up the options of 'small rewards now, or greater rewards later', which can be a useful management skill.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/small-business/article.html?in_article_id=402282&in_page_id=10

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

10 pence

5 minutes

1 day

I will not be dishonest by editing out these answers but number 2 is the only correct answer - I am terribly impatient

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

bat 105 and ball 5pence

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

47 days for half the lake

shit I knew I was impatient but not that impatient

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

• A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1 more than the ball. How many pence does the ball cost?

WTF is a pence?

• If it takes five machines, five minutes to make five widgets, how many minutes would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

Five minutes

• In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how many days would it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

SUCCESS at job interviews could soon come down to three questions. Scientists have devised the questions, including one about the cost of a bat and ball, as a new way of establishing the intelligence of candidates without the need for lengthy IQ tests.

True

Named the cognitive reflection test (CRT), it is also said to be a good indicator of how patient candidates are and how good they are at making decisions.

True

The test has been designed by Professor Shane Frederick of the MIT Sloan School of Management in America, who claims the questions are easy, in that their solution is easily understood when explained.

False

To arrive at the right answer candidates need to suppress the first response that springs 'impulsively' to the mind and instead work it out logically.

Yes

But of the 3,000 students Professor Frederick tested, fewer than half gave the correct answer to the first question about the relative cost of the bat and a ball.

<1500

When told that they cost a total of £1.10, and the bat costs £1 more than the ball they were asked to work out the cost of the ball. Most said 10p - which is wrong.

I still don't know what a pence is.

Of the study group, men were found to be more successful because they were more reflective in their answers than women, who were more inclined to go with their intuition.

Agree

Professor Frederick claims the CRT could soon replace more conventional IQ tests as well as personality tests beloved of employers. He said: 'Do you want someone running your company who doesn't think beyond their first impulse, or do you want someone who is willing to ask, 'Does this response really make any sense?''

No

Professor Frederick claims that those who do well on the CRT tend to be more patient when weighing up the options of 'small rewards now, or greater rewards later', which can be a useful management skill.

True

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There are 100 pence or pennies in 1 British Pound - think of it as dollars and cents if that makes it easier so the bat and ball cost 1 dollar 10 cents and the bat costs one dollar more than the ball how much is the ball

• damselfly
    damselfly

100 pence

1 minute

24 days (depending on the size of the patch to begin with)

Damselfly ( who is glad that she wasn't asked this questions at her last interview! )

• Simon
    Simon

These are the answer I came up with:

A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1 more than the ball. How many pence does the ball cost?

The 'obvious' answer that you first imagine is 10p. But this would make the bat + ball = £1.20p. For them to add up to £1.10p and have a £1 difference the need to be 5p and £1.05p.

I guess for Americans the intelligence question could have been "Name a foreign currency"

If it takes five machines, five minutes to make five widgets, how many minutes would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

The # of widgets to make has been increased but the # of machines have also been increased by exactly the same ratio. Therefore it will still take 5 minutes and not 100 minutes

In a lake there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how many days would it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

If it doubles each day and covers the whole lake in 48 days then the day before it would have covered half the lake. So, 47 days is the answer, not 24.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I guess for Americans the intelligence question could have been "Name a foreign currency"

Simon that is just so funny I am howling with laughter

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

without looking at others comments i guess.....5p...5...47days

gonna go check now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit