How do they explain 607?

by gringojj 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gringojj
    gringojj

I am thinking of taking on a jw with the 607 question. My problem is that I dont really understand the whole thing. Has there been a post in the past that tells how to argue it? Could anyone tell me how the jw will explain it and the key reasons it is wrong? Thanks!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well there have been loads of threads on this subject but let me try and summarize in one sentence. It was a msitake picked up from the adventists and it came down to 1914 whichj was a convenient date - then they cvounted 2520 years backward to give the mythical 607 BCE as the start of the Gentile Times.

• gringojj
    gringojj

where does 2520 come from?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

7 times in Daniel and time, times and half a time in Revelation is shown to be 1260 days and thus 7 times is 2520 days. This is backed up by 7 times being 7 years and that the year is Lunar so 1 lunar year is made up of 12 months of 30 days each so 12 x 30 is 360 and 7 times 360 is also 2520. Then apply the bible principle of a day for a year and you get 2520 years - simple really

• gringojj
    gringojj

how is that simple?

• gringojj
    gringojj

who came up with this anyways? and plus a year is 365 days. surely god would have known that. and where in the bible does it say a day is a year? i thought a day was a thousand years?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

who came up with this anyways? Nelson Barbour and other Adventists which Russell copied and plus a year is 365 days. surely god would have known that. True but do not forget Man invented time - and took a year (solar) as the orbit time around the sun - this is abritary - why are there 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in 1 hour - the Babylonians loved the number 60 and where in the bible does it say a day is a year? i thought a day was a thousand years? It says both - I will loook up the scriptures for you

• greendawn
    greendawn

That looks like a charlatan juggling numbers around and setting dates in an arbitrary way. There was a lot of this non sense going on in 19th century America. It sounds like a medium playing around with tarrot cards. Russell was in fact into occultism.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    7 times in Daniel and time, times and half a time in Revelation is shown to be 1260 days and thus 7 times is 2520 days. This is backed up by 7 times being 7 years and that the year is Lunar so 1 lunar year is made up of 12 months of 30 days each so 12 x 30 is 360 and 7 times 360 is also 2520. Then apply the bible principle of a day for a year and you get 2520 years - simple really

And what do they base this math on, or did they just make it up as they went along.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

*** it-1 pp. 593-594 Day ***

In prophecy a day is at times used to stand for one year. This can be noted at Ezekiel 4:6: "You must lie upon your right side in the second case, and you must carry the error of the house of Judah forty days. A day for a year, a day for a year, is what I have given you."—See also Nu 14:34.

Certain specific numbers of days given in connection with prophecies are: three and a half days (Re 11:9); 10 days (Re 2:10); 40 days (Eze 4:6); 390 days (Eze 4:5); 1,260 days (Re 11:3; 12:6); 1,290 days (Da 12:11); 1,335 days (Da 12:12); and 2,300 days (Da 8:14).

The term "day(s)" is also used with reference to a time period contemporaneous with a particular person, as for example, "the days of Noah" and "the days of Lot."—Lu 17:26-30; Isa 1:1.

Other cases where the word "day" is used in a flexible or figurative sense are: "the day of God’s creating Adam" (Ge 5:1), "the day of Jehovah" (Zep 1:7), the "day of fury" (Zep 1:15), "the day of salvation" (2Co 6:2), "the day of judgment" (2Pe 3:7), "the great day of God the Almighty" (Re 16:14), and others.

This flexible use of the word "day" to express units of time of varying length is clearly evident in the Genesis account of creation. Therein is set forth a week of six creative days followed by a seventh day of rest. The week assigned for observance by the Jews under the Law covenant given them by God was a miniature copy of that creative week. (Ex 20:8-11) In the Scriptural record the account of each of the six creative days concludes with the statement: "And there came to be evening and there came to be morning" a first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth day. (Ge 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31) The seventh day, however, does not have this ending, indicating that this period, during which God has been resting from his creative works toward the earth, continued on. At Hebrews 4:1-10 the apostle Paul indicated that God’s rest day was still continuing in his generation, and that was more than 4,000 years after that seventh-day rest period began. This makes it evident that each creative day, or work period, was at least thousands of years in length. As A Religious Encyclopaedia (Vol. I, p. 613) observes: "The days of creation were creative days, stages in the process

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit