first a publisher, now GF wants me baptized by Sept...

by Buck 61 Replies latest jw friends

• delilah
    delilah

Listen to Willy....DUMP the chick and RUN.....or at least stand your ground, and do what YOU feel is right...but getting involved with this religion because someone ELSE wants you too, is not a wise thing to do. It will bite you in the a$$ eventually buddy.....RUN, RUN like the wind.

Delilah (good luck)

• lawrence
    lawrence

Buck-

Please remember - The hoops don't equal the humps.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Buck
    I wondering how your grandfather was a "she" - but now I get it!
    I would NOT be pressured into being baptized - not even from my girlfriend or grandfather. 
    Just say that as it's such a big step only YOU can decide when you are ready - and so no-one else
    can tell you when that is.....
    Hope this helps....
    Pope
  • LouBelle
    LouBelle

You'll spend your life giving in to every whim then. You'll lose your true self. But I guess if you love her that much & you're not really thinking about the long term effects you gonna do what you said you would - give in.

You've got to not want too in order to survive.

• Buck
    Buck

Thanks for all the posts.

As you all know, there are sacrifices to be made whenever you are deeply involved with another person. I feel a little backed into a corner. I will definitely lose her if I dont get baptized. I wont if I do.

Ive had bad and good experiences with the JW religion before. Some in my family are still in but most are out.

I do know want anybody telling me what my family and children can/cant do. If God reads hearts, then he will know who are pure and who are not. I dont want a group telling my children they cant play little league when only God knows what is in a persons heart.

Well, I guess I have a lot to think about in the next couple of weeks.

BTW: Ive read CoC by Franz. i would like to read more books. I want to go into everything with my eyes wide open.

• lawrence
    lawrence

3 choices-

Tread water. Fight the current. Get the hell out of the water!

"Backed into the corner" - things just started dude. Wide open eyes - smell the day!

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

"I do know want anybody telling me what my family and children can/cant do"

Buck:

How old are you?

If you get baptized you will have an organization telling you what you and your wife can/cannot do if you want to stay in the organization and remain in respectable standing; there will be times where you will have to allow yourself to be wronged and just shut your mouth and go along with it and "wait on Jehovah". You just became an unbaptised publisher; so how long of a time span from unbaptized publisher to being baptized (a few months?). You have no idea what you are getting yourself into. My mother has been associated with the witnesses most of her life and she is in her 60s; her real bros and sisters. Some would aux pioneer and one uncle is an elder, and one of her cousins is one of the directors of the WTS in Brooklyn and yet she thought she knew the difference between being an associate and actually being a baptized witness. She quickly found out and opted to never get baptized. I would give it time; at least a year. Go out in service, make all the meetings, comment during the meetings (with your own words and not repeat what is in the paragraph), join the ministry school (if unbaptized publishers still can) and live like you are actually baptized and see if you can do it the rest of your life before you take the plunge.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I have to be blunt and I mean absolutely no disrespect saying this but why are you allowing your girlfriend to determine your spirituality? if she truly loves you then she will wait for you to progress naturally in the so called spiritual sense, so I would begin first by suggesting that you should say that you will get baptised IF and when YOU deem it appropriate after all it is YOUR dedication. Answers to doctrinal problems are not answered by saying 'well we trust in Jehovah', that is complete and utter bollocks they are answered through painstaking research and study done independently, anything else wouldnt do the subject any justice.

The second point is a question, 'has she asked herself what you want?' does this figure at all in her 'grand scheme' of things? I hazard a guess and suggest not. In her defence she is reacting to peer pressure placed upon her to conform but there is no reason why you should do the same. This doesnt excuse her controlling behaviour though and be warned IT WONT STOP THERE; you set your own goals in life...goals which you feel comfortable with, if your goals dont comply with hers then you must simply ask whether you are compatible.

I dont doubt for one minute that you love this girl but one thing I know for sure is that you dont control the person you love...love and relationships are not about control they are about companionship and respect and control does not even enter into either of those scenario's...you might love her....but if she persists in this controlling behaviour after you set your stalll out as such I am afraid that there is a distinct possibility that she doesnt love you ...otherwise why would she force you to do something that you feel uncomfortable with?

Sorry its hard message but I tell it like it is....

DB74

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Wow, she sure does love you unconditionally

If you want one sided love and a one sided relationship based upon doubts and doing things you don't want to, don't be surprised if you are a miserable man within 3 years.

you have been warned, the choice is yours.

• Buck
    Buck

I will let you know what decisions ive made and there outcomes in the coming months.

I havent been a publisher for a month yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit