How do you try to combat world violence as individuals?

by Crumpet 19 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie
    but by that same logic, they should be flying permanently at half mast for the Iraqi civilians, and the Africans, and the Chechen's, and the Tibetans, and the Afghans, ...

this should probably be a separate thread, but i was just talking to my girlfriend last night about this. in the sudan, the death toll is between 70,000 and 400,000 (that's from the State Dept's website). the conflict has been going on about 2 and a half yrs. that puts the avg death toll at 77 to 438 deaths PER DAY!!!

it's crazy. i don't mean to sound heartless, but that's a lot of dead people and we have yet to see a moment of silence (edited to add: or any tangible acknowldgment of its reality) in their memory. that story is relagated to a 1 paragraph "article" once a week in the sunday paper that says, "umm...yup...it's still happening." i'm sorry, but it just seems like our priorities are out of whack.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I am always thinking on this.

It just seems that not every life has the same importance. A life farther away is worth less. (that seems to be the case in real life) I have much difficulties with this.

Maybe it is not only far and close. Like in London, it is also a part of people getting scared. Like this could have happened to me, and not really this is a far from my bed show...

Danny

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    How do you try to combat world violence as individuals?

Crumpet,

there was a pretty good thread a few days back about africa and the problems there. Jeanniebeanz asked a good question, that is similar to yours, and Abaddon gave an answer, that in my opinion, is spot on. i think it applies to us in one way, and to the developing world, in another way. here is it for you:

For me the best question anyone has asked is;
    What, really, can the average citizen do to help? It's mind-boggling

(thank you Jean )

VOTE the right way. BUY the right way. EDUCATE yourself about issues. DON'T GIVE IN TO APATHY.

In three words, 'Make poverty history'.

I know it's cheesy, but it's cheese that may quite possibly save some lives.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The hatred in these bombers is going to turn the rest of the muslim community against them.

To be hurt yourself is bad enough, but when someone hurts your child it is worse.

After 9/11 I don't remember much response from the muslim community, but now their own clergy are speaking out against it.

These evil people are working for their own destruction. We just have to be patient and compassionate and not buy into the cycle of hate and anger. Make sure that any who touch our personal lives receive kindness.

This is why the WTBS is gradually failing. (the GB refuses to see that, like an old man who will not face up to a heart condition) As they preach more venom, more people are being turned off. Thier own hate is destroying them from within.

HB

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Change begins at home.

Be present, attentive and kind to everyone and everything. Don't allow mind generated story, judgments and drama to be your reality; rather be still and open to what the universe presents right here, right now - which doesn't mean you don't kick the shit out of someone who breaks in your home and threatens you or who is harming others. Allow the present-moment to be your touchstone rather than stories in the mind.

Be the peace-loving-person you wish others would be.

Ultimately we are all connected; so do not think for a moment that the peace within you does not in some way affect the entire cosmos.

One of the main reasons the world is such a mess is that many people who do not have the wisdom to bring one persons life into harmony (their own) are out trying to change the world.

j

• upside/down
    upside/down

VOTE the right way. BUY the right way. EDUCATE yourself about issues. DON'T GIVE IN TO APATHY.

Tp- and THAT is precisely where everyone will argue... since everyone believes they ARE voting and buying and educating "the right way".

I'll agree on the "Dont Give in to Apathy".

rather be still and open to what the universe presents right here, right now - which doesn't mean you don't kick the shit out of someone who breaks in your home and threatens you or who is harming others.

Jt- I'm in agreement....and trying to "be still"...but struggling.

u/d (of the can't turn the damn hi-liter off sometimes class)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

Tp- and THAT is precisely where everyone will argue... since everyone believes they ARE voting and buying and educating "the right way".

u/d,

the "right way" would be anyway that is the least selfish, and the most forward thinking in a humanistic and secular sense. obviously, there is a better way, than the way that the majority of people are buying, and educating and voting. right? or else, why do we have what we have? it's not "biological nature". it's "cultural us".

• jgnat
    jgnat

What is twelve noon Mountain Time?

Here's a little company dedicated to World Peace. I think they have the right idea.

www.pikeplacefish.com

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

You know crumpet I know how you feel. I had seen something so disturbing to me and that started me wondering how a god could let this happen. I felt as if there wasn't a god. I felt bitter & disappointed in humans...especially when it involves the innocent.

Once does feel very helpless and despondent. So I know I can't do anything about it on a world wide scale, but I can try and help women & children in need by donating what I can to foundations that target helping these innocent people.

Life is so precious & yet some couldn't give an ass about it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

On my part, I report any unusual activities on the road and in my neighborhood. Although I live in a very tranquil, law-abiding community.

I'm keeping my eyes out for the unusual looking individuals, though. Specially the type that consider us all "people of the book", and "infidels".

Got my eyes and ears pealed on them!!!

DY - Oh no, did I start another controversy with my comment???!!! I hope not. I was just saying what I'm doing individually.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit