Feeling really sad and worried

by Sad emo 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I feel really sad and worried today. Yesterday, the police announced that those evil people things who carried out the London bombings came from my own county of West Yorkshire. On my way to work today, I walked through the market hall where there are both muslim and non-muslim stall holders. A group of non-muslims were having a loud and heated debate about terrorism, illegal immigrants etc. etc. within earshot of the muslim workers who were clearly being made to feel very uncomfortable.

There seems to be an anti-muslim atmosphere growing around here already and I'm getting worried that it is all going to kick off big time very soon.

I'm sad because the majority of ordinary, decent, hard-working muslims like those in the market may lose their living because their businesses will be boycotted. I'm also concerned that the number of arson attacks and vandalism against mosques and muslim property may increase in the area. The atmosphere just feels soooo bad.

I'm also wondering whether my own attitude to muslims has shifted slightly. I studied Islam a few years ago and thus am fortunate enough to have learnt that it is on the whole, a decent religion. I have often stood my ground in defending Islam against fellow Christians who condemn it out of ignorance. This morning however, I walked past one of those muslim stall holders and I just wanted to ask him 'Why?' I think I'm at the point now where don't feel that I can defend Islam any more, even though in my heart I know that those terrorist scum have absolutely nothing to do with the religion.

West Yorkshire could use some prayers and positive vibes at this moment - along with lots of bad weather which will keep the idiots off the streets and reduce any potential for trouble.

Thanks for listening. really sad emo

• rebel8
    rebel8

Christian against Muslim is an age-old conflict. I agree mainstream Islam is supposed to be a religion of peace (just as Christianity is).

I have a theory about prejudice. Animals learn to quickly assess other animals they encounter to determine if they are at risk. They do this by appearance, body language, and behavior. The quicker that assessment is done, the safer the animal is. I really believe we as humans do that naturally to a lesser degree. Unfortunately, we've got bad instincts--we make assessments based upon race or outward appearance and make mistaken judgements based upon those characteristics. I think the impulsive prejudice--the automatic thoughts that happen before we get a chance to subvert them--are a result of that confused instinct. We see someone different, feel fear, and automatically become aggressive (mentally or physically).

To some extent, that may explain why some feel scared or angry when they see a person with dark skin in a turban. We have associated that image with terrorism. The automatic thought is not something we can control. We can control our reaction to it, though. If we go around joining hate groups or stuff like that, then that is way beyond an irrational automatic thought, it's willful.

There seems to be an anti-muslim atmosphere growing around here already and I'm getting worried that it is all going to kick off big time very soon.
    We had that here after 9/11. People were acting like complete idiots. Burning mosques. Painting graffiti. I remember one man in Florida who purposely ran down a compete stranger wearing in a turban, with his car in the grocery store parking lot.
  • Crumpet
    Crumpet

Sad Emo I've been following the stories too with great interest - sky news has profiles of the bombers, ordinary men who were mainly born and bred here with families who were popular and well liked in their communities.

I know what you mean - its happening down here too. Its clear that different races especially those that are Asian looking are feeling slightly uncomfortable on public transport etc and being stared at as if they might be terrorists.

You can bet there are going to be some ignormasus council estate white kids with nothing better to do than start petrol bombs and stuff. I just hope the police are really tight on security for the Muslim communities.

You sound a wonderful senstive person who endeavours to understand the incomprehensible. Just do the postive stuff you can - smiling or nodding hello at the Islaamists that live around you. Its got to be hell for them - its not their fault that these pigs have put them in such a terrible situation.

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, simulposts --- mine got lost! I'll try again.

sad emo,

You must be overwhelmed with sadness right now. I'll think of you and send good energy to you and the folk in your region. When I get to feeling that way, I think about the bombings of abortion clinics and murder of doctors and other abortion providers by the radical Christian element. It is a reminder that all religions have their extremists.

We have a large muslim community here, and by their body language and sad faces, it is obvious that many are feeling tentative and unsure of their welcome. There has been some hate activity, and one of their religious buildings was vandalized last year. I make a special effort to make eye contact and smile when I see a womyn wearing the head covering, to let her know 'it isn't your fault'. It helps me, and them, I think, to share a little love and understanding.

xo

tal

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Crumpet you are right...its started already...its the same old bigoted pricks that start victimising a whole race or culture because of what some extremists have done...the majority of people in the muslim community are decent people and are shocked and disgusted with the fact that so called members of their community have brought shame upon them.

The police do need to crack down on this type of behaviour before it gets out of hand.

DB74

• Ellie
    Ellie

I will tell you a little story.

Shortly after 9/11 happened I was on a bus going through Preston, Lancashire where a lot of Asian people live.

An Asian guy got on with a suit case and then got off again at the next stop without the case.

I tell you, I have never seen a bus empty so fast, even other asian people were getting off.

I was trying not to stereotype asian people but there was no way I was staying on that bus.

• Mary
    Mary
    There seems to be an anti-muslim atmosphere growing around here already

Gee, I can't imagine why that would be..........

I studied Islam a few years ago and thus am fortunate enough to have learnt that it is on the whole, a decent religion. I have often stood my ground in defending Islam against fellow Christians who condemn it out of ignorance.

I too have take a couple of courses about Islam and I've come to the conclusion that it most certainly is NOT a "decent religion" or "a religion of peace"----it doesn't teach democracy, it teaches theocracy (sound familiar), which means they "rule by God" and you're not allowed to question anything that those in charge decide to do. They teach hatred and intolerance against anyone not a Muslim and they use scriptures in the Qu'ran to justify their "holy wars". Women aren't even second class citizens---they're treated like absolute garbage. Ever see that documentary "Behind The Veil"?? It's not just the religion, it's the culture too. They're 500 years behind the time. Yes there are decent Muslims just as there are decent Witnesses----that doesn't change the fact that their religion is f*cked.

I think I'm at the point now where don't feel that I can defend Islam any more

Good----cause it's not worth defending. You think Islam would worry about defending YOU?

even though in my heart I know that those terrorist scum have absolutely nothing to do with the religion.

Actually it does, to their warps minds. They take several verses out of the Qu'ran that, in a nutshell, says it's okay to kill non-believers. Want some examples?

9:29 Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away! [Qu'ran 9.030]

I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them [Qu'ran 8:12]
    It is a 'divine' commandment to persecute Jews and Christians , to defeat them in battle and then to consign them either to slavery or to death (Surah 8:39; 9:5,29: 47:4)

Yes, it's sad that there are scumbag "humans" who like to terrorize the rest of the world and then use their religion to justify it. Until Islam gets with the program and decides to join the rest of civilization, I fear that their disgusting bombings will go on.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Kind of going along with rebel8's post, I see the human reaction of other humans being hurt. Yes, it is too bad that these feelings that you mention are emerging, but it has to be expected, unfortunately.

The animals that planned and/or carried out the bombings (as with the tragedies of 9-11) obviously don't care about the aftermath of their actions. They have to know that their fellow countrymen everywhere will be adversely affected by these terrorist activities, but their "statements" mean much more than whatever diminished lifestyle that these others will incur.

They don't care that livelihoods and feelings of trust and goodwill will be damaged, the greater cause must (in their minds) be carried out and everything else has to fall by the wayside. It's sad that this is the case, but the terrorists are well aware of the growing negativity and angry sentiments that they persist in fomenting.

Annie

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    An Asian guy got on with a suit case and then got off again at the next stop without the case.

I tell you, I have never seen a bus empty so fast, even other asian people were getting off.

I was trying not to stereotype asian people but there was no way I was staying on that bus.

I take your point on this Ellie... you were no doubt being prudent as opposed to being racist and ignorant; there is a vast difference between being bigotted and being prudent.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

It's no surprise though is it sad E. I lived in one of the Asians area of Halifax and be it from mistrusted of my white skin or pure racism on their part little effort was made to integrate from the Asian community as a whole. That said there were many individuals that shared my frustration of the voluntary segregation between English and Asian. Just as Asians in this country will band together moderate whites with the bigots so Asians will be tarred with the same brush as the extremists. It's not only the responsibility of the white community to present a tolerant face but to offer a path for Asians and any minority community to represent itself.

I was listening to the PM question time today and the subject of the Muslim community taking more responsibility for the crimes committed it the name of Islam was discussed. There is a view held that whilst verbally the Muslim community has condemned any act of terrorism it has done little to stop the crimes done in the name of their god or to bring to justice the offenders. We've all heard that the war in Afghanistan and Iraq were wars against Muslims even though Muslims were already fighting Muslim in tribal warfare. No mention was given for liberating Muslims from their oppressors.

Fact of the matter is that you give a man made religion to someone and they will use it to there own ends. Don't anyone say it's the imperfect people that's at fault because if any religion was the word of the Gods then it wouldn't be corrupted so. Now do you see why I hate religion so much?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit