Preparing for meetings

by daystar 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• daystar
    daystar

I can recall from a very early age, that before just about every meeting, our family would be on edge while getting ready. Often some of the very worst of our personalities would show themselves. We would argue and sometimes be downright verbally abusive with each other. And sometimes it would not subside until we entered the parking lot of the KH. Then, of course, we would pretend everything was okay.

We always thought that this was "Satan the Devil" trying to stumble us into not going to the meetings. It made sense from the standpoint of the JW paradigm. Of course!

In retrospect, I think something different was happening. Our hearts were trying to tell us that something was wrong, very wrong. This is a very difficult, almost impossible, thing to see while caught up in it all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I remember being afraid in case I became an apostate by not going to meetings. I was 16 years old.

• daystar
    daystar

Hmm... I recall being taught that being an apostate entailed being actively opposed to the organization, not just missing a meeting.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I remember being afraid in case I became an apostate by not going to meetings. I was 16 years old

And now look at you? How far you have come up in the ranks of apostacy heheh

• luna2
    luna2

There were a few occassions, after scrambling to get the boys up, arguing with them about what to wear, trying to get them to eat breakfast, ruining my last pair of stockings, piling into the car all flustered, upset and sweaty (we didn't have airconditioning at the house), then rushing to the KH...only to arrive late...that I turned around and went home again. God, but I was an awful dub. LOL

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

ditto, here.

it was always a mad rush and tempers would flare (especially as a single mom of two with two jobs) AND there is the single mom outcast syndrome.

i'm just so glad 41 years of THAT are over!!!!

• TheListener
    TheListener

I agree. Getting ready for the meetings is a stressful time. It isn't fun and relaxing so you can get in the right frame of mind for the spiritual buffet. No, no, it's arguing, fighting, rushing and sweating (in the summer at least).

As I fade I do less and less with the whole preparing for the meetings thing. The more responsibility that falls on my mate the more realization creeps in that this isn't refreshing. I do not do anything to stand in the way or slow the process, I just pretty much only do what is necessary for me. That way I'm not seen as an active fighter against the truth, just a lazy piece of crap. Hmmm, I wonder which is worse?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I remember being afraid in case I became an apostate by not going to meetings. I was 16 years old.

Nope. That won't make you an apostate. You are now though due to your presence and even joining such an apostate site. May God bless your efforts to get out of there. Jeff

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Last sunday I got up, took a shower, got dressed in a top and some jeans, let the older kids sleep cuz the baby was already up, ate breakfast with the baby, got the baby ready, kissed hubby bye, drove me and baby to church, dropped the baby off in the walker room, got some coffee and the sunday program, sat down (I had a few minutes before the music would start), and felt totally relaxed. I dont ever recall being that relaxed and peaceful going to a kingdom hall.

Josie

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

My ex worked nights and I worked days. He laid in the bed all day - didn't prepare dinner or study with the kids. Then when I came home from work (5-6) it was a mad dash to bathe the toddlers, comb hair, iron clothes, help them find books - get MYSELF ready all so that the 5 of us could wait in the car for the dubby-hubby to join us - LATE AGAIN.

Then in spite of all the effort I put forth to get us there, we would still have to bear the 'local needs' talk about getting to the hall on time . Bunch of f'ing nit-pickin retards!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit