im stuck on guitar

by tsunami_rid3r 27 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

you are trying to run before you can walk

just a few weeks ago you were telling us you couldnt change chords quickly..i cant believe you have mastered that yet

you will just get more and more discouraged by trying to do something too difficult

there are plenty of 3 or 4 chord songs that will make it interesting and enjoyable for you to learn..but dont think that not being able to master them at this stage will mean that trying something even more difficult is going to make the whole learning thing more enjoyable cos it wont

get an acoustic book of an artist you like...try oasis..springsteen..eagles..or something similar...and learn the songs

remember you are not trying to impress anyone at this stage...and if you try you will fail

• tdogg
    tdogg

DO YOUR SCALES! Then you will have the strength and muscle memory to hold the positions. Noone wants to do scales when they begin but it really will make things move faster. Just a major scale over 2 octaves at first will do wonderful things to your fingers.

-Travis

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

ok, im confused about scales. there are a lot of scales i think, which ones should i do first? where can i see the scale i should do?

• Preston
    Preston

Are you using sheet music or tablature? I would pick an easier song first like "Needle and the Damage Done" or god forbid 'Smoke on the Water" And as others have said before work on your chords, scales, and arpeggios...

- Preston

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Some of the chord progressions on Beatle's music would make you want to take up sorting socks as a hobby.

Preston,

Smoke On The Water was one of the first songs I learned. Funny you should mention that! House Of The Rising Sun was another!

T-Sun,

Don't "fret" (sorry I HAD to do it over chords that seem to be impossible to master! It takes time! It does get frustrating....I KNOW that!

hugs,

Annie

• kid-A
    kid-A

Try "Blackbird"...much easier, but like Stairway, dont ever play it in a guitar store!

• tdogg
    tdogg
    ok, im confused about scales. there are a lot of scales i think, which ones should i do first? where can i see the scale i should do?

Just worry about a "major scale" for now. It will teach you all the patterns your fingers need to know at this point. Try to find a simple book. I would write out the one I teach to anyone I am helping, but I dont know how i could do it on this post and have it make sense. Well, Ill try.

E 1 X X X

B X 2 X 4

G 1 X 3 4

D 1 X 3 4

A 1 2 X 4

E X 2 X 4

Numbers are what finger you use and X means doint play that fret

It doesnt matter what fret you start on just do this pattern forward and reverse, then move one fret up and repeat. Good fun but it works.

Hope it doenst confuse ya more

• tdogg
    tdogg

BTW start on the low E string

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit