My first post - How do I stop JW Bible Study (nicely)?

by emcee 30 Replies latest jw friends

• homesteader
    homesteader

as other's have said and is my opinion....there is no way to end it nicely. you have a good head on shoulders and I know you will come up with a solution. best wishes.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's your life and you don't want it messed up by this cult so however tough it may be on them if you drop the so called bible study, you shouldn't be concerned.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I don’t think JWs are for me and I could never convert, but I am happy to continue Bible studies on occasion.

It is a study alright. A study of a book published by the WatchTower Society. They only use the bible to prove what they say and do it out of context. Just tell them that you want to worship Jesus and they will freak out. Also, show them 1 Corinthians 1:18 in a accurate bible translation and ask them what do they think about this. If this doesn't work just tell them that the JW gospel is not the good news about Jesus. It is about a carrot the WatchTower dangles in front of people. You can live forever on a pair-o-dice earth. Thay are a dangerous and destructive cult. they do not teach the love of Christ at all and they teach their followers to hate all non-JW's but not in so many words it is just implied. If a person disagrees with their unscriptural doctrines the person is a goat and is worthy of being destroyed by God at Armageddon. You will lose them as friends when you stop the sudy because their friendship is very conditional.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Emcee:

My name is Jeff Schwehm. I have a website that assists Catholics in dialoging with JWs. I sent you a private message.

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

emcee,

Nice post and welcome.

Traditionally, Catholics have been easy pickings (supposedly) for JWs because a great many of them are not really practicing, and many of the ones that are practicing have little to no bible knowledge. I believe this is changing, but since there are so many Catholics there are still many many uneducated ones.

My advice to you would be to learn your bible if Christianity is the way you would like to go.

Regarding your questions:

- How the JWs seem to attract paedophiles because of the “2-person witness” rule. I watched the 29/05/05 (Aussie) program of ‘Sunday’ that was linked here in the forums and was gob smacked. If only I’d seen it when it was broadcast, I would have mentioned it then so my objections won’t seem so “researched” now.

Yes, this is self-explanatory. Problem is most JWs honestly in their heart of hearts believe the pedophile thing is a problem isolated to one or two congregations. The Governing Body helps perpetuate this myth.

- JWs believe that they are Christians but other Christian religions are not? I can’t understand the reasoning on this one.

This is easy. They changed the definition of christianity to a definition that applied to them. Then they slap the word "Christian" on all their Assembly Halls and that somehow makes them Christian. They also do this with other words like "born again". The WT used to say they weren't "born again", but they changed the definition so that now they can technically say they are. But they are deceiving you - because it doesn't mean the same thing that it means in true Christianity.

- Only baptised JWs will survive Armageddon (this is what I’ve picked up from lurking here for a bit – correct me if I’m wrong?)

Yes. They say "no" in an official "Questions From Readers" article in one of the magazines, but then they go on to qualify that statement to say that the resurrected people will not be JWs and will get a chance to make a decision in the new system. So the "real" answer is "yes" - they believe they are the only ones.

- The whole disfellowshipped shunning thing is unchristian. It freaks me out that wife bashers and child abusers can be readily forgiven and people who communicate their doubts can be disfellowshipped. Go figure.

Highly unchristian. Jesus would never shun someone who says, "I love Jesus/God/whatever, but I am not too sure on the beliefs you've ADDED to scripture." Of course - Jesus would never add contradictory obligations to scripture.

- Abstaining from blood means not eating/drinking it, right? How can blood transfusions (especially one’s own blood) contradict the above?

This is "straining the gnat". They do this merely to differentiate themselves. It is completely not based on anything logical or loving. I think it is sick and actually demonic.

- The Bible doesn’t say “thou shalt not celebrate birthdays.” It only tells about the immoral practices of that time but I’m pretty sure I won’t be sacrificing small animals for my next birthday.

Again, they do this merely to differentiate themselves.

- Likewise the Christmas celebration is not mentioned; it doesn’t mean that Jesus’ family on earth would have plain forgotten about his birthday when he was a child. In biblical days there were no telephones, therefore they are not mentioned in the Bible, does this mean that using telephone are forbidden? I think not.

Can't argue with that.

From the forums I get the impression that I need to be pretty strong with my objections in order to stop E&K’s conversion efforts.

Yes, I would say so. Even if you are polite you will be amazed at how quickly they will drop you - and that "sincere concern" they had over your loss will evaporate.

On the other hand, you may just be able to say that you would like to pause the study and think about it. If you start in with all the so-called "apostate" reasoning then that may make them drop you quickly. They (we, since I am still a practicing JW) have been getting lots of subtle and not-so-subtle training from the Watchtower HQ to not trust ANYTHING on the Internet - even if it is legit. I believe they are preparing in advance for the onslaught of information that is only getting louder and louder. (Sites like this)

- I suppose my question is will the above concerns be enough to have E&K accept my decision?

You may not need to bring up the "truth" about JW's (i.e. scandals, and ex-JW reasoning) - they won't believe it anyways. They'll say, "It sounds like you have been talking to apostates."

- The next one is have will I lose 2 friends and great customers in the process?

If you end it politely you may not lose them. They may continue to be your customers and think that maybe you just need some time to think about it - so they'll continue to drop by and "show concern". I say LET THEM. Especially if it keeps some business. You may have to put up with politely taking magazines now and again, but if they are valuable as customers - then look at it as nothing more than chatting about the weather or something.

I wish you well, and just be lucky you aren't a baptised practicing JW who has decided that it isn't the "Truth" - like me. I am on the verge of telling my own wife about my beliefs. Be glad you are only risking a couple biz/friendships. I could lose my whole family and will likely lose my whole social structure.

I wish you the best though.

-ithinkisee

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi and welcome... I'm so sorry that you have been targeted while you're vulnerable, I hope that you can be polite but firm, and that you can work it out.

• emcee
    emcee

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’ve read every reply carefully and there is a consensus! Except Joker10… Are you sure you’re in the right place sweetie? ;-)

sf / sKally, thanks for posting about your mother. You opened my eyes. I’m so very sorry about your dear son.

Thank you to Elsewhere for explaining the “abstain from blood” issue in a way that my heart can accommodate. IthinkIsee, now that is truly a demonic example of JW beliefs.

As potleg said, I was sucked in when I was vulnerable. Cupcake, I have to agree with you on the “studying because I don’t want to lose the friends & customers”. It’s in my nature to avoid conflict which is why I can’t seem to stop the studies. I also confused friendship with what was actually a customer relationship because I thought from the initial visit that the JWs offered real answers and really cared about me.

Except that I needed to and should have worked out the answers for myself. (It is hard to “understand” anything when you and your family are grieving hard.)

As my dad was dying, I thought that my prayers went unanswered and I was angry with God for allowing 2 years of suffering. My dad had wasted to 27kgs when he passed from cancer (that’s like 50-odd pounds). My dad wanted his pain to end; and short of a miracle, unfortunately there was only way for the pain to end and our whole family needs to accept that. I’ve now come to realise that the cancer wasn’t God’s doing and I can no longer blame Him. It strikes where it strikes, no reasons. (Eve’s deception by Satan and Adam’s disobedience aside.) It just hurts so bad to watch it happen to someone you love.

I’m just going to bite the bullet and tell E&K that I can’t continue Bible studies as I have thought about it carefully and will never convert. I consider them to be my friends and hope we will always be friends. Being unavailable for the studies because of other commitments hasn’t worked so far. Having said that, it will have to be done next week since work changed my days this week. I’ll let you know how I go. In the meantime I'll lurk and hopefully pick up some resolve. (I feel so weak when it comes to confronting people.)

Thanks everyone, for allowing me to get it off my chest and for your caring advice. I wish everyone who is in the process of leaving the JWs wisdom and strength.

emcee

• emcee
    emcee

In response to Joker10, I hope you will take this in the spirit that it is intended (that is, of education);

What I’ve learnt in my life is that “like attracts like” (in positive and negative ways). I saw the Sunday program – the paedophilia problem is hidden but endemic in JWs and not dealt with in any sensible fashion. The 2 main culprits (who moved from congregation to congregation), were abusing kids from over 20 years ago til recently and are still with the JWs in

Sorry for the visuals, but you can bet on my chubby lily-white arse that I will NOT be exposing my child to an organisation where paedophiles are nicely set up to perpetrate their crimes. That is, by keeping parents so busy studying and preaching that they can’t supervise their children for great lengths of time. Oops, forgot that a lot of JW dads don’t generally get too involved in raising the children. I know you can argue that the RC Church has paedophile priests, but the fact is that RC congregation acknowledges that this has been (and likely still is in some parishes) a problem and as responsible parents we are looking for any abnormal behaviour and signs. We do not bury our heads in the sand and believe the problems are “outside” (or “in the world” according to you) when in fact, they can be underneath your nose.

I would never let my kids go to Mass (church service) or other church activities on their own. The same for sporting activities, music lessons, etc. I know I can’t be in the actual classroom with my kids, but I’ll be waiting outside. Sad reality, but necessary today.

Actually it's too bad I can’t go to school with my kids! I’d get better grades this time around.

emcee

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Emcee,

Be straightforward and honest with them. You do not want to continue studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses. If they ask why just tell them the truth. Tell them you would like to be thier friend regardless.

You'll see they never were your friends.

W.Once

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    You do not want to continue studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses

Is this new? I thought the Bible was only used to support WTBTS publications.....lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit