I am new here, former JW left years ago.

by out of the box 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Welcome to the forum outofthebox!.

Interesting story for a former "lifer" like me.

W.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Welcome to the site! Thanks for your story.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Welcome to the board....hope to see you round

DB74

• TheListener
    TheListener

Welcome outofthebox. I appreciate that you shared your story. It takes a lot of courage to do that. I hope you keep posting. You never how many will benefit from your experiences.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Welcome out of the box!

DY

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome Enjoyed your first post and your experience!

Like others said: don't put yourself down for your past. We all did what we thought we should based on the knowledge we had then. We learn and grow from our past decisions. Your kids will eventually realize you did the best you could at the time...

Codeblue

• upside/down
    upside/down

Welcome

u/d

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Welcome outofthebox!

I can relate to your story and am glad you are out of that abuse. I was married to a non JW who became more and more controlling and abusive and was constantly told by the elders to stay in my marriage. Since our divorce my ex has been arrested numerous times for beating up on his girlfriends. I knew of other JW women who were not allowed to leave their abusive/and or drug addicts/alcoholic spouses. Isn't is great to finally realize that we don't have to live in misery? Life is too short. Look forward to hearing more from you.

• dorie
    dorie

hey all

am new here, am the sister of a minister of the JW in ireland, and also the aunt of 2 lovely nephews soon to be baptized into jw's faith!! we've tried for years to make her see sense and leave the JW's but it doens't work!! anyway there was a convention here at the weekend in ireland and when she came home from it, she contacted a few from the family to warn us about armegeddon, and that the end is very near! and something about the UN being part of it!! this was prob a big topic of their discussion at their convention on Sunday!!

I would like to know from some of you, what made you leave the JW?

ALso, one of my nephews is coming up to the age of puberty (sorry don't mean to get too deep) but i am afraid of how she is going to approach the time in his life?... she has changed so much, and doesn't make any decision without searching the bible first!! and i'm just too afraid that she'll say some awful things about sexuality to him, when infact its only normal and natural at that age?

any help, answers or information is greatly accepted!!

thanks in advance

Dorie

• out of the box
    out of the box

I want to thank everyone who posted here! I hope I didn't leave anyone out!!!! I wanted to make sure I mentioned all who posted because I really appreciate the time you all took to make me feel welcome and safe to post here!!!

zagor, Thanks for the welcome! I plan to stick around, especially after this GREAT welcome!

Momofmany, thanks for telling me we can relate! I too am in VA!

outnfree, I like your name! Yes, many told me "What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.", I resented those words at first, but embrace them now. I am relentless at catching lies, and reading people now. I have my intuition back, and I pay close attention to 'warning' signs.

frog, I see you are a positive person! "it's a really great and upbuilding place for people who are ready and beyond burrying their past mistakes". BTW... we have family in Australia! And thanks for the welcome too!

kls, thanks for the welcome and smile!

kazar, I will come by and read and post, thanks for the welcome!

potleg, Thanks for the welcome and I liked what you said "Im so glad you got out"!!! I hope that your family 'wakes up' too! Breaking away needs a 'revelation' to happen! I will write how I got out soon. It's easy once something in 'life' happens where you need, that is the escape hatch!!!!

wanderlustguy, thanks for the welcome!

katiekitten, Thanks for the welcome and the support!!! Is that picture really you? I have been to London and York. Great time I had. Sorry to hear about the bombings! Hope all yours are OK.

Goldminer, Thanks for the welcome! I was born in Canada, Hello!

sweet tee, Thanks for the HUG! One back at you! You are right! I cannot deceive others nor will I let ANYONE RUN anything in MY life again! I love your 'one size fits all' statement! I was always told by JW's to wait and let the others catch up, and we could only move as fast as the slowest brother or sister even though I had a brain, I was to lay it to rest and not make anyone feel bad. HOW INSANE! UGH..... I could go on and on... but all in due time! ha ha

rebel8, thanks for the welcome!

Thegoodgirl, Yes, recruitment in the 'low time' of my life. It was only ONE of the low times in my life. But, the funny thing is when I heard the words 'the truth' I literally felt uplifted and felt like a large weight had been lifted! I was daydreaming and 'high' for a while on the 'baby food' that I was given, and invited to a baby shower and cook out when I was all alone with two children! It as a 'rescue' for sure for them.

Netty, The 'TRUTH' would have been for them to encourage me to stand on my own and face the reality of my situation. Instead they encouraged me to go on Welfare and babysit the children of the ones who were going out in service like Pioneers and wives of elders. I was bred or profiled as I was coming in. Men would say that my children needed a father and marriage was encouraged and the elders brought around 'suitable' prospects!!! I was barely out of a bad marriage and they were already pushing for me to be 'under' the guidance of a male!!! Yes, the psychiatrist was a 'God-send'!!! She was a surprise I didn't expect to find. I met her through a friend. And she was Jewish. She was a positive affirming power house, will never forget her! Thanks for the welcome!

love11, thanks, I feel lucky that I didn't spend more than those 9 years! I can't believe I stayed so long. I kind of got into a grind! You know, kept busy so much you can't think. Thanks for the welcome!

greendawn, Yes, I see your point now. Back then, I would have thought those people wouldn't hurt a flea! Till I realized I was not in Kansas anymore! What an awakening! Thanks for the welcome! My sorrow is with your countrymen about the tube bombings!

Netty, I can't believe your mom had it so bad!!! I had a bad life from the begining that is why I did not recognize being dominated right away. I was a sheep alright! I am not sure if I am really 'well or normal' for sure. But life is much better now and I don't belong to any church, so I feel free to some degree.

homesteader, Thanks for the welcome! I like your name too! I feel good about this site so far! I have not been comfortable to discuss the JW's in a public place before. I only mention a word here and there. But this is great!

delilah, Thanks for the warm welcome! I can see that the 'healing' properties you talk about come from the spiritual strength of it's members!

gespro, I love it, the borg!!! 'wounded but still walking' that is great! I won't give up! I have learned to be a fighter, and a survivor. That is a GREAT thing to walk away with! The experience of being 'tested' over and over makes one stronger than you realize!

whiskeyjack, another Canadian... Hello from a former Canadian! thanks for the welcome!

PaulJ, Thanks for the welcome and for reading my post!

diamondblue1974, hope to see you round too, thanks for the welcome!

TheListener, I hope some will benefit from my stories, like I will learn from all of yours!

Doubtfully Yours, Thanks for the welcome and smile! Hope Dennis passed you by! I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 13 yrs and through Andrew!

codeblue, I want to feel that way... I will learn and grow from all that I lived through. Maybe I should write a book!!! I am in a good time in my life now. I can 'afford' to reflect and examine my paths and choices. I think this board may help me to do that! Thanks for the welcome!

upside/down, thanks for the welcome!

love2Bworldly, Thank you so much for sharing that! YES it really is great to finally realize that we DON'T EVER HAVE TO LIVE IN MISERY! Especially women! Sorry guys, but JW's are really rough on women's self-esteem!

dorie, thank you so much for posting here. I can see you are in a worried state over your family! You may want to post this again under it's own heading so that others will see it and get more responses. I think the answer to get someone to leave is all up to the individual. But I would strongly suggest you don't try to talk them out of being JW's. The best thing is to support the GOOD things you see them doing! Then they know that you notice them and see them and love them 'anyway'! It might help when they want to leave, they will know you are a safe haven for them, who knows?

Thanks again all of you for the great and warm welcomes! I am overwhelmed! I will post my experiences a bit at a time... and savor the moments here!

out of the box

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit