JW brother stopped by to awfulize about the bombing in London

by homesteader 37 Replies latest jw friends

• homesteader
    homesteader

My brother who is a jw (who I helped into the religion when I was a dub) came to my house this morning this morning while we were having breakfast. The first thing out of his mouth was the bombing in London and how this is the worst bombing since WW11. Then he made the comment "I wonder what this is going to lead to." I wanted to say the same thing as the Fall of Babylon, The Flood, The Holocaust, The Vietnam War, The Oklahoma Bombing....... My husband who is not a jw has a justifiable ax to grind with US government so when he brings up his frustration with it. (Hubby thinks that JW's might of signed on with the United Nations to prevent another Waco incident happening and told my brother how the government could step in at anytime and bring their religion to a halt, that is how much control they have and are getting over people) "Brother Bob" jumps in telling him about the God's kingdom being a government and how many people don't believe in the Bible today. I said "One reason is because religions construe the Bible." Went right over his head. Then he started telling my husband about JW's being in the concentration camps with the Jews during Hitler's reign. I said there were many people in the concentration camps other than JW's and Jews. Our father was a immigrant from Holland so I told him about Corrie Ten Boom and other folks from Holland that harbored Jews and were sent to the concentration camps. Next came the great book of Daniel and how they are studying it for the second time. I wanted to ask him if he didn't get it the first time around. I couldn't stand hearing anymore of the JW B.S. so went out to cut the grass. I wanted to vomit thinking that I used to sound just like that. I'm so happy that I've found freedom. Can't believe how the tables have turned. Thanks for listening to my experience...it helps to vent so I can process all of this. What makes me so angry about this brother is when he will come and eat with us but when we say a blessing before we eat he won't pray with us. My husband is a sincere Christian and Patriot and this behavior is so insulting to him. I don't invite my jw brother to eat with us anymore.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Awfulize?

Just love the way our American cousins never let an adjective stand in the way of a verb!

Awfulize..bloody Norah, whatever next.

Englishman.

• greendawn
    greendawn

A lot of people find the JW snubbing of sincere christians really infuriating how the dubs write everyone off as babylon and ignore their good actions. They always ignore anything positive, overemphasize anything negative and grossly overgeneralise. And always have the distorted picture.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Awfulize?

LOL @ Eman!

I believe it may be the opposite of "happify". but I could be wrong!

hugs,

Annie

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Get used to it Eman:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Awfulize

The term is actually quite popular in psycology:

There are two common forms of irrational self talk

• Statements that "awfulize" (Tendency to talk or perceive in extremes). This type of self talk awfulize by making catastrophic, nightmarish interpretations of our experiences, e.g. a momentary cough is bronchitis.

• Statements that "absolutize", often including words like "should", "must", "ought", "always" and "never". This type of self talk sets unrealistic and strict standards and any deviation from these standards are considered bad.

Source: (http://www.bestonhealth.com/articles/health/Stress/links/irrational_thinking.htm)

And least you think I am highjacking the thread, awfulizing is common practise among JWs when speaking about the "world" the "system", and any other negative concept they believe.
  • willyloman
    willyloman
    Just love the way our American cousins never let an adjective stand in the way of a verb!

E: You Brits merely invented the language. It took us yanks to perfect it. And we're not done yet!

• Netty
    Netty

In like your term, "awfulize", good one. I was afraid my mama was gonna do that yesterday when we talked on the phone, but it didnt happen. Whew! I hate it when that happens.

• hubert
    hubert

Awfulize..bloody Norah, whatever next.

Hey English, if we can't find the right word, we just make one up that fits.

Have fun at your BBQ Saturday.

My Fest is next week. I hope it is as succesful as yours is going to be. editted to add: What's a "bloody Norah"? Is it like a "Blood Mary"? (Gotcha, Englishman).

Hubert

• homesteader
    homesteader

thanks ezekiel. i was working at putting my defense together but you did it so eloquently. i can't think of another word to describe how bad these guys get when it comes to focusing on the negative.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

So much for eloquence. I also said,

And least (instead of "lest") you think I am highjacking the thread...

That'll have Eman's union jack panties coiled like a rope!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit