JW brother stopped by to awfulize about the bombing in London

by homesteader 37 Replies latest jw friends

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Awfulize is a fantastic word! It immediately conjures up a mind picture of exactly what's going on, which is the purpose of language - to accurately convey thought from one mind to another, right?

It's not only the witnesses who are awfulising (I'm going to have to spell it with an "s" I'm afraid, being from this side of the atlantic) about the bombings to further their agenda. It's just part of the human condition I'm afraid. The urge to say "I told you so" has proved to be irresistable from all sides of the political argument. I'm sorry you had to sit through the sermon though.

ig.

• inquirer
    inquirer

I can't say I am in love with the word "awfulize."

WE got so many words in English that describe terrible events, why do we need another one?

It sounds pretty unoriginal word to me. The only thing different about it is that it's got -ize at the end.

• inquirer
    inquirer

It sounds too similar to "awful eyes." :D

You really have to be careful on syllable stress!

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Awfulize is a very good new coined word that captures exactly what she means.

This is a continuation of a great tradition. Why do you think english has such a huge vocabulary?

William Shakespeare made up many words which are now accepted as part of the language. I can' t SHARK UP any examples right now.

Your reaction smacks of snobbery.

Who is "bloody Nora"?

It really is amazing. Comparing Shakespeare to this made-up word, lol.

When Shakespeare coined new words he used existing roots and combined them in set rules. Words like sanctimonious, fashionable, bedazzle, inauspicious, lustrous, outbreak, archvillain, dauntless, unearthly and lonely have all been attributed to Shakespeare. He must have known a little about his own language in order to coin these words, he didn't just invent words on a whim.

There is a reason why "awfulize" sounds odd to some people, and they may not be able to put their finger on it. The reason is because the two parts of the word are not in a common linguistic category.

I'm NOT saying that "awfulize" is not a valid word as long as enough people know what it means, but its just not comparable to Shakespeare. However, i think i'll stop hijackizing this thread, terriblizing on this unimportizatory matter and go back to focusizing on this captivatizing thread.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish
    However, i think i'll stop hijackizing this thread, terriblizing on this unimportizatory matter and go back to focusizing on this captivatizing thread

hmmm, maybe I'm pedantising here, but I think that terriblising is really the only one of those you can get away with.

ig. (still a fan of awfulise)

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

...I've just worked out why "awfulise" sounds perfectly normal to me. It's because it's just the same as "trivialise" or "idealise" isn't it? They're both adjective+ise being used as a verb right? So someone stopping by to awfulise could just as easily have stopped by to trivialise or to idealise.

Come on people, let's harmonise and energise, not demonise, rather advertise and prioritise awfulise.

ig.

• homesteader
    homesteader

thanks everyone for your feedback. i especially appreciate the affirmations for what I was experiencing beyond the word awfulize. the words of support and well thought out replys to the use of awfulize were great. i always wanted to be part of think tank but never dreamed i'd find it here. i love the sense of humor here, in particular englishman's humor that smacks of snobbery.

ps ezekiel3....least could very well of been a typo.

• Mary
    Mary
    The first thing out of his mouth was the bombing in London and how this is the worst bombing since WW11. Then he made the comment "I wonder what this is going to lead to."

Well if the bombing of London in WII didn't lead to Armageddon, then why the hell would this? I'm not sure if it's just me, but the Witnesses seem to be getting more and more........I dunno, "paranoid" isn't the word I'm looking for.......but they seem to be desperately looking for signs in virtually everything that would indicate that The End is right around the corner. While they've always believed the Big A is "imminent", they're really becoming bizarre about the whole thing.......the price of gas goes up, that falls under "critical times hard to deal with", a bomb goes off, that falls under "people will have no natural affection for one another", someone plucks their eyebrows, that falls under "they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away". Many Dubs thought 9-11 was going to be the beginning of the end and it wasn't.

It sounds to me like your brother's comment above wasn't just a casual question, but yet another example of that level of desperation for something----anything to happen that would prove them right.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    That'll have Eman's union jack panties coiled like a rope!

Sheep-Dude, I did not want that picture in my brain. Please remove it immediately!

J

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Surely 'panties' are just for women? There has to be a better name for man pants?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit