Satan

by susu812 27 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Thats a jolly good question, because if I believe in the bad guy, I have to believe in the good guy too. Hmmm, its a kind of celestial catch 22.

All I can say for sure is that KH did a superb job of making me believe in the bad guy, because I have spend 80% of my life being shit scared of him. But it did a rubbish job of making me believe in the good guy, because I can take him or leave him. I dont feel any strong feelings either way regarding his existence.

Can I swap de debil for Santa, and god for the tooth fairy?

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

nah....i don't believe he does. when i was 17 or something, i got a bunch of ''satanic'' books from the library and snuck one of my friends pentagram necklaces home in my backpack. when my mom finally when to bed, i laid on the floor surrounded by the books with the pentagram around my neck. i asked that if satan was real to show a demon or something to me or give me a nightmare.

one hour later nothing happened. and i dreamed about being a power ranger.........which technically is a nightmare....but not what i was looking for.

so no...i have lost all faith in god, jeebuz, and da debuhl.

luv, jojo

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Nope.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

your question makes more sense than many.

it's fairly safe to assume that satan does not exist. it's fairly fairly safe to assume that god does not exist.

it's is 99.99999% obvious that we exist, and that we created god and satan in our own image.

as a rule, when trying to determine the probability of an answer to a question that the jury is out on, you should choose the simplest explanation.

in this case it is way simpler to explain that we created satan in our image, than it is to explain that god created satan, and that satan went rouge. why? because now you also have to explain two fairy tale creatures as well. god and satan.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I've never seen any proof that God or Satan exists. So until that happens, I can't believe in either.

Also, I think satan was made up so people have someone to blame for the sh*t they cause.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    than it is to explain that god created satan, and that satan went rouge.

Oh, is that where he got the red suit?

• kazar
    kazar

No, I don't believe Satan exists. I think he gets blamed for things which people will not accept responsibility for. You know, "the devil made me do it".

• Es
    Es

great thread....yeah im not sure i think i do believe he exists sometimes it bothers me but i think thats just the upbringing coming through. But since ive left nothing to prove he does exist has happ. es

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

When the monotheistic idea of "God" emerged a "Satan" figure followed very quickly.

Monotheism first came up with the original idea of one God causing both good and evil and basically beyond them, cf. Isaiah 45:5ff (probably over against Persian dualism):

I am the LORD, and there is no other;
    besides me there is no god.
    I arm you, though you do not know me,
    so that they may know, from the rising of the sun
    and from the west, that there is no one besides me;
    I am the LORD, and there is no other.
    I form light and create darkness,
    I make weal and create woe
    ;
    I the LORD do all these things.

I guess "God" couldn't stand very long as separate from "good". For all practical, moral and political purposes, this was not satisfying. However, a devil figure both independent from and subject to God is not very satisfying either...

(here's an old thread on the issue: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63454/1.ashx)

• Netty
    Netty

Guess I still must still believe in him. Just reading the title of this thread, my stomach knotted up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit