Torture at DC

by zack 32 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down

I soooo relate to the trivial bickering and in-fighting.

Sheep? what sheep?

It's like a bunch of little kids in grown-up bodies.

u/d

• Balsam
    Balsam

4 Years ago:

The last convention I attended was in Winston-Salem, NC. I am very handicapped but not quite ready for the wheel-chair yet. I can still walk but not very far and with great pain. I was not allowed to sit with my family because there was inadaquate sitting for those handicapped and their families. I cried through the entire first days of the convention I didn't hear anything I was so depressed. Getting to the bathroom was unbelievable. Long lines for the women and mens bathrooms, and so many of us with disabilities had a hard time getting around. Going to the car was an ordeal because even handicapped parking was a long way away. I was exhausted hot, and the seats were painfully hard.

That was my last convention, and I know the suffering many went through. Even the health ones with little ones crying and miserible from sitting all day was depressing. Thankfully after that I never attended another be cause I woke up from my WTS stupor.

Conventions are cruelity to the friend, that same information could easily be brought through the pages of their books and magazines. Rather than subjecting these devoted people to such misery. Good lord you have to bring your own lunches now, that is just more work for the Moms & Dads.

There was one sister in our congregation that serious bowel problems and had no control over it. She had to walk so far to bathrooms then wait in line till it was too late. Yes they really love having the sick ones there don't they. That sister had to wear adult diapers through the entire convention. She has passed away now.

Balsam

• La Capra
    La Capra

Elsewhere,

Sometimes there are long lines. But here's the thing, a game or a concert will last at most 4 or 5 hours. I try to plan ahead so that I only have to go once, if at all. But those conventions last all day, and there are lots and lots more children (who need to go every 2 hours or so), and more often than not, their mothers take them. Also, if you still go, check it out, there really are a lot more women at these conventions than men. For other events, particularly sporting events (which is often for what the facilities are predominantly designed), there is a different balance of the genders.

But out and about, like at restaurants, if there is a wait, it is only for the women's room. It is the worst at the symphony, or theater, where the intermission is only 15 minutes, there are only about a dozen toilets and about 25% of the women in attendance need to go.

What I remember is the awful smell at the conventions. I have been to these same venues many times for concerts or games and the restrooms never had that awful smell that was pervasive at conventions. Blech. Shoshana

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Conventions are cruelity to the friend, that same information could easily be brought through the pages of their books and magazines. Rather than subjecting these devoted people to such misery.

These conventions are where the WTS says things that they don't want in the written record... things that could come back to haunt them, such as all of the 1975 nonsense, this is also where they say things that make it painfully obvious that they are a high-control cult.

• undercover
    undercover
    The last convention I attended was in Winston-Salem, NC. I am very handicapped but not quite ready for the wheel-chair yet. I can still walk but not very far and with great pain. I was not allowed to sit with my family because there was inadaquate sitting for those handicapped and their families.

The W/S coliseum is a great coliseum for ACC basketball and concerts but it's terrible for all day conferences and meetings like the JWs put on. I remember the first DC I went to there. All of the handicapped sit at the top 3 or 4 rows of the lower section (the top part of the section being level with the concourse). That resulted in far fewer handicapped seating compared to the other coliseums we were used to using.

The old Greensboro coliseum and the Roanoke Civic Center had all their handicapped seating on the floor. There was always room for all the handicapped there. I'm not positive but I think there is a way to access the floor at W/S without having to use the stairs from the concourse, but for some reason they don't allow access to that. It's easier to force everyone to stay on the concourse level than to allow them access to the bowels of the building where its harder to keep tabs on people.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

great post zack,

i agree that it is a result of brain drain in the org. why would the smart ones stay and help after all?

a couple of years ago i was at the international convention in montreal. 75% of the people were french, and about 25% english. i remember the plumbing was horrid at that convention with the toilets always backing up.

i remember one french brother who had the runs or some disorder, and couldn't find any working washrooms on the french side of the convention, and ran over to the english side. the english side was full of men trying to use the facilities, of course, and because of the language barrier he could not explain to the other brothers waiting in line that he was having an emergency. he went right there in his pants. i was so sad for him. then it turned into indignation that the bastards planning the event could not plan it freaking better.

and where was the holy spirit when that brother crapped his pants in front of dozens of people? i only ask, because it obviously was not there when the administrators were sitting around sipping on bourbon whilst planning the convention. f*ck-heads.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The "Sisters" at a DC have always had a bad time with toilets . What is wrong with setting up more of those Portaloo's that they have at events? , Oh!, perhaps they cost money!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As far as I can tell, the WTS insists that women wear clothing that requires them to perform all sorts of acrobats while removing about ten layers before they can "go". A simple skirt and panties would make things so much more easy.

Hell, when a woman wears only a skirt and panties it gives ME easy access!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The closed bathroom at the end of sessions was an issue for me too, with three small children and a 4 hour drive ahead of us to get home. I went anyhow, and if anyone tried to stop us from entering the restroom in spite of the fact that it was being cleaned I told them to stand aside or I'd drop my dawers there and they could clean that as well. Worked pretty well though there was one 'brother' once who grabbed my arm to try to prevent me from going in. What I had to say to him is not worth repeating here, but he immediately let me go.

Unloving people in high places...what do we expect from their followers?

Jean

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

"What I remember is the awful smell at the conventions. I have been to these same venues many times for concerts or games and the restrooms never had that awful smell that was pervasive at conventions. Blech. Shoshana"

That's from digesting all of that spiritual food dispensed at the proper time from the slave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit