Torture at DC

by zack 32 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

A thought worth mentioning about the venue I attended was the lack of sufficient sanitary facilties.

Attendance on Sunday was almost 10k. Of these, half were males. They had 6 stalls for them all during the noon break, including 1 ADA stall. Many in attendance were elderly. Very few places for them to actually sit for 8 hrs.

The people in charge will tell you that it is a blessing to have such a place. That's because the ones in charge have there own offices at this venue with their own bathrooms and bring in food and coffee and eat and drink whenever they want throughout the session. It isn't being petty to expect that if you presume to be a sheperd and care for those who are hungry for God's Word that you should at least have a decent place to meet when congregating 10,000 people.

To not have sufficient restroom facilities for so many people not only displays a lack of ability to plan, but quite frankly, an unloving and indifferent attitude. The older ones I saw waiting in long lines to move their bowels and void their bladders had a look of quiet desperation on their faces. To have given so much and to have grown this old waiting on a man-made promise for so long only to be treated as disposable must truely hurt their heart. Their dignity and comfort was of little concern to those who pride themselves at the great job they do as administrators.

"Let them eat cake,"-- that is the attitude manifested by the actions of the few for the many. In this instance it's "let them stand in line or hold it til they get back home" --

By their fruits you will know them----

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This lack of planning is a sign of an effect called "brain drain".

The number of people who are competent enough for organizing things as large as a convention is getting smaller and smaller... but don't worry... Jehover will provide in his own due time.

Until then, I've heard that attaching a cloths pin to the end of Mr. Happy will greatly extend the time between bathroom breaks.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Zack,

Sad but very good post! This has been going on since I first began attending assemblies back in 1971. It's not like the WTS hasn't dealt (or NOT dealt with) this problem before. It just didn't pop up yesterday.

I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and would have to climb over several people in my "row", traipse down many stairs, and traverse the hallways until I found the Ladies room. Hopefully it had "room" for ME when I got there. Friends used to tell me that while waiting in these horrendous lines, I should announce that I "gotta go gotta go RIGHT NOW" as I tried to make my way to the front of the line......does anyone KNOW how terribly embarrassing that would be?

I only discovered not very long ago, about those "super-reserved" places that you spoke of, with the food-drink and restrooms within an arm's reach. I sure would have "asked" about them had I known while I was still a JW, believe me!!!!

Where does it say to treat Jesus sheep like a herd of cattle? I must've missed that article.

Annie

• greendawn
    greendawn

To the GB the jws are a herd of cattle to be beaten and milked and get thrown to the wolves in case they refuse to carry on giving milk. It's a very Christ like attitude.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

A couple of years ago at Nassau Coliseum I was waiting on a long ladies room line. The stupid girl supervising the whole thing got a brain storm (or a brain fart it seems). She decided to take the last half of the line and put it first. In doing so, she put at least fifteen people ahead of us. If I really had to go bad I would have gone to the head of the line and told her off.

Real stupidity!

• undercover
    undercover

Where I went they took half the men's rooms and turned them into women's room. And still women were lined half way around the concourse level waiting to get in.

Why is it that there are enough women's rooms for a basketball game or concert but if the JWs use the colisuem there is suddenly a shortage of bathrooms? I think the women are smarter than people give them credit. If they all gang together and go to the bathroom at once, they spend more time in line chatting than they do sitting and listening to some old geezer drone on and on.

• blondie
    blondie

Part of the problem is there are so many women with children without husbands at the DC. So these women take both male and female children with them to the restroom. Also, even if there is a JW husband, do you think he takes the boys to the restroom? Not often, because usually he is off doing "important" things for the WTS so once again it is the mother taking the kids to bathroom. Fathers have improved from about 30 years ago, but it could improve more.

Blondie

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    Why is it that there are enough women's rooms for a basketball game or concert but if the JWs use the colisuem there is suddenly a shortage of bathrooms?

We ladies don't have the urinal convinience that men have and it usually takes us longer to use the restroom, some of us may also have kids like Blondie pointed out. I remember going to DC's at the Hialeah Race Track, where they would close bathrooms (not beacuse they were out of service), so you ended up walking further to use the approved restrooms. Did I mention this place was not air conditioned and multi level? IN SOUTH FLORIDA!

DL76

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

To the sociopaths that plan and oversee the conventions, the rank and file are just sheep to be herded and told what to do.

• joelbear
    joelbear

bathrooms were hot, probably because they were too cheap to keep the air cranked up and disgusting smelling. cleanliness, i guess that came at the end of the convention for a witness to the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit