What did you do as a child (or adult) to survive boredom during meetings?

by Wasanelder Once 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

What did you do as a child (or adult) to survive boredom during meetings?

As a child I remember sitting behind a sister with a pink angora sweater. I would pull of a bit of the lint from it and tilt my head back and place it above my lips a bit. Then I would blow on it and watch it rise into the air. As it would float slowly down again I would blow on it lifting it higher and higher each time. Meetings flew by!

As an adult? I was in the sound booth. The clock was just above and behind my head. It had no glass covering the hands. Brother # would always go 15 minutes overtime when he had a part. One night I could see by 10 minutes to that he was going to go at least 20 minutes over covering the material in his SM part. So, when everyone looked down to check a scripture I would reach up and move the minute hand ahead a couple of minutes. In a short time I had moved it 8 minutes fast. The brother made comment, "Wow, this part is really flying by, I'd better speed up a bit. Needless to say I cut 15 minutes off the meeting and when he went overtime he actually ended right on schedule. There was one little boy who saw what I was doing and I gave him the "Do you want to die in armageddon" look. He hung his head and laughed.

How about you? Any novel activities to dispel boredom?

W.Once

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I used to play top trumps

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey wasan,

as an adult i counted fallacies and wrote python code on paper.

as a child i drew and wrote stories.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

As a child and and adult, I would go into the library before meeting and pick out one or two old Awake or Golden Age bound volumes to read during the meeting. Or I'd read chapters in the bible.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

As a child I colored the dinoasaur in the green bible , red. I drew a person hanging out of his mouth with blood drippin' from it as well. I got a whippin' for that . I tried to sneak a little tiny doll in my pocket but was busted, got a whippin' for that. I tried to not fall asleep but only laughed out loud at everything and got whippin's mostly for that.

As an adult I would sit next to my MIL and we would make snide remarks about the sexist comments from the brothers on stage. We laughed at anything that struck our fancy, without anyone seeing us laugh of course. Note writing was our best way to communicate as it took time to write and send the note down over three or four kids and not be seen.

My son and I would sit next to each other and draw over the illustrations in the WT's. He is so damn witting and had me rolling at the pictures he did. He had Jesus in a mullet, Peter had a bee hive hairdo and earrings, and high heels. Just stuff like that.....making cartoon bubbles, of what people were realling thinking in the mags.....funny stuff, that as good JW's we would never say!!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Reminded me that my sister drew a lawnmower in front of that same dinosaur!

• blondie
    blondie

I played word games. Anagrams of words in the article and other word games. I'm pretty good at word games now.

I drew pictures for my younger brothers to color.

I practiced my shorthand for school and worked on my homework.

As an adult if the speaker was soooooooooo boring, I would have my own Bible research I would work on cross referencing. I would make up my schedule for the week, write out food shopping lists, and there were always my word games from my childhoold. I would bring Bibles (same size as NWT and with a cover) that had commentaries built in. Once I sat in the back corner and wrote out my bills and got them ready to mail. I would update my telephone/address book (easier now with those pad things). Eventually, I just went in the back room and turned off the sound and took a nap. Occasionally someone else would come back and we would talk. If I still attended now I would bring a small radio and listen to my favorite talk radio show.

Blondie

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I usually was taking care of one of my younger siblings. If she was too rowdy, I'd take her outside. (sometimes a liitle pinch on the leg would help!)

As I got older me and a girlfriend would set next to each other and write notes. Sometimes we'd get busted.

• luna2
    luna2

Geeze, I was such a stick compared to you guys.

I can remember once messing around with my kids looking at that picture on the inside cover of the songbook...the one with the guy with his head thrown back and his mouth wide open where if you blocked out his neighbor just right, it looked like he had two right arms.

Mostly I actually tried to listen, sometimes take notes, and try to stay awake. When it got to the point that I started daydreaming about trips I was planning to take during the meetings, I slowly stopped going at all.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I would go out to the parking lot and troll for possible apostates who may be putting their literature in gas tank filler compartments or on windshields.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit