Were You Ever Really Happy or Joyful While a Witness?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I was fairly happy for the first year or so; the last 25+ I was mired in depression, and ended up on antidepressants (like many, many others in the cong). I was off the pills in less than a year after I escaped.

• xjwms
    xjwms

I think its more like, ... Satisfied

satisfied that we thought we were doing all the right things.

But happy, ...... not real happy

because we could never be the person we are.

don't want to stumble any one don't cha know

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Congratulations Robdar! I'm doing a happydance for you right now.

Next time get pics of the raccoons and post them here!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

No, never had real joy and happiness doing JW rituals. The only joy and happiness came from family, work and general life occasions.

Happy and Joyful coupled with being a JW is an OXYMORON.

HappyDad

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Congratulations Robdar! I'm doing a happydance for you right now.

Next time get pics of the raccoons and post them here!

*Grabs Crumpet and swings her around* I wish that I had had the digicamera with me. There were four of them! Such delicate little paws they have. Very curious too.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    I THOUGHT I was happy while I was a dub -- but only because I was told I should be happy serving god. There was no joy though. I even had an elder tell me once that I need "cultivate" joy.

I think JWs go through the motions of being happy -- but they cannot know what true happiness is until they leave the cult.

Ditto.

u/d

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

actually I was happy a lot of the time as a JW, they gave me a sense of belonging and a family of somewhat like minded individuals who were unlike the people I grew up with who did not share my view and out look.... there were plenty of reasons for not feeling happy all the time, but I felt happier as a JW then before..... and now I feel even happier as a former JW because I now understand many things about myself I had no clue about which caused me a great deal of internal termoil which JWs did not fix, but pretended to understand and offer a cure after this world is over.... which did a lot to give me hope, but really did only a little to make me feel better.

• Netty
    Netty

No way, I was terribly unhappy being a dub. Took me a long to learn how to be happy, after I left.

• JH
    JH

I was there for the carrot...

I had absolutely no joy there.

• greendawn
    greendawn

How can one find any joy in a miserable environment like that? There was always the stress of fearing a very vengeful and severe god and the big A, a sense of isolation from the world and going against your instinctive desires and needs. The worst part is the lack of love and solidarity in a very demanding org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit