O Canada today

by z 19 Replies latest social current

• z
    z

Canada Day

formerly (until 1982) Dominion Day the national holiday of Canada. The possibility of a confederation between the colonies of British North America was discussed throughout the mid 1800s. On July 1, 1867, a dominion was formed through the British North America Act as approved by the British Parliament. It consisted of territories then called Upper and Lower Canada and of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The act divided Canada into the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, and it included provisions for other colonies and territories to join in the future, which made possible the growth of Canada into its present form. The act served as Canada's constitution until 1982, and July 1 was celebrated as Dominion Day.
    By terms of the Canada Act of 1982, the British North America Act was repatriated from the British to the Canadian Parliament, and Canada became a fully independent country. At the same time, the name of the national holiday was changed to Canada Day. It is celebrated with parades, displays of the flag, the singing of the national anthem, "O Canada," and fireworks. When July 1 falls on a Sunday, the holiday is observed on the following day.

Z

• kls
    kls

Thanks Z , i had no idea Canada had a holiday much like the US has on the 4th of July.

Happy 1st of July you Canadians

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yup, big day. Celebrations and stuff. Thunder storms are predicted. I hope they are wrong.

S

• blondie
    blondie

fireworks

grilling out

parades

flags

and all that?

• shera
    shera

RAIN here...no fireworks tonite. bah!

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I let off a few fireworks last night and probably woke up the whole neighborhood.

Does anyone know if they still make bottle rockets? I couldn't find any.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Happy Dominion Day!

i had no idea Canada had a holiday much like the US has on the 4th of July

So does France. Bastille Day. Not sure if it's a celebration of indepenence or what.

• talesin
    talesin

Rain, fog = no fireworks ...

Happy Canada/Cannabis Day!

Bastille Day,,, is the French Independence Day.

The Bastille was a prison, where political dissenters, and those the rich didn't like, were imprisoned.

part of the revolution was when the prisoners were freed from the infamous Bastille, thus the name, Bastille Day.

Have you seen the movie "the Count of Monte Cristo"? Well, that's the Bastille, where he was imprisoned.

t

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

yup that's it blondie, plus some other distractions a la talesin. he he,

THIS IS MY FIRST REAL CANADA DAY OF MY ENTIRE LIFE! YAY!!

• talesin
    talesin

Are you doing anything to celebrate, tetra?

Maybe the weather will be good on Sunday, they may postpone them till then. My favorite thing, the fireworks. oh well!

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit