The New and Hidden Class Consciousness of Jehovah's Witnesses

by truthseeker 45 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Class consciousness is defined as identification with other members of one’s own class and awareness of its relationship with other classes.

A remarkable change has happened in the last ten years among Jehovah's Witnesses, and this is largely due to the way we communicate.

The Internet has brought about huge social changes in the way we think, do business and research, and how we spend our free time.

From banking to reading the news, from TV shows to discussion boards, booking a flight and selling our stuff on EBay, the Internet has transformed our lives.

With a new technology comes a new divide - much has been said of the digital divide, the have's and have-nots when it comes to Internet access.

The Internet has changed people's beliefs towards spiritual things. This is so true in the case of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Ten years ago, a witness charged with apostasy and subsequently disfellowshipped had no where to go, no one to turn to and no support. Not every apostate was aware that there were books written by former witnesses.

The situation has significantly u-turned today. There are literally dozens of exJW support groups. Many have found that their life experience in "the truth" parallels that of many other former members. Through support and counselling, many former witnesses have been able to get over their feelings of guilt, betrayal and grief and have moved on with their lives.

Because of the Internet's accurate and honest information about Jehovah's Witnesses, there is a new class of Jehovah's Witnesses. And this is the class that will be discussed here.

The new sub-group of Jehovah's Witnesses primarily includes those who KNOW about the false teachings of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, who know about the scandals in the organization, such as child abuse, but for one reason or another have chosen to remain in the congregation, perhaps because of family reasons.

The members of this group are savvy, computer literate, and regularly engage in secret, private discussions about their faith with other Jehovah's Witnesses.

A new and hidden class consciousness has emerged among some of "God's People". These individuals live double lives; not necessarily meaning that they behave improperly, but that they are forced to continue their activities in the faith, such as meeting attendance, preaching and other activites. Usually this is because of the fear of losing family or friends, or it may be that they secretly hope reform will change the organization. Perhaps they are in a position of influence, where they can do much good. Or perhaps they are afraid of change, afraid of leaving for reasons of guilt.

Whatever the case, the members of this group continually keep researching information on Jehovah's Witnesses by means of the Internet. They share the information only with members who are of the same class consciousness - those who are in a similar situation.

The members of this class are aware that they must remain anonymous, for security and family reasons. To do otherwise would be disastrous.

In short, they must behave like the fictional characters in the movie, "Men In Black." It is imperative that no-one finds out about them for fear of the very real consequences among them.

These members must "blend in" to their ssurroundings with ease - it is a practice that becomes second nature to them. Friends and family members who are Jehovah's Witnesses who are not of this new class consequence usually have no idea of the troubling thoughts that pervade the members of this new class.

The member must be seen to not falter in his comments, in his preaching activity and in his beliefs. Close friends must not be told for fear of the member being labelled an apostate.

If the member is a brother, they may feel pressured or obligated to be seen to be "reaching out." The member may make misdirecting comments to alleviate any suspicion of misplaced loyalities.

A side effect among members of this class, is that once they find out their beliefs were false, and their friendships conditional, they often feel detatched and aloof from other members. Suddenly, those they hung out with, joked with and grew up with become strangers.

This double-life existence is difficult to maintain and becomes mentally, spiritually and emotionally draining. Torn in half, the member often contemplates what would be easier - a clean break, often with the loss of friends and family or a life time of awkward co-existence.

Whatever the case, this new class conscience is here to stay among Jehovah's witnesses.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

And it's this class that can make the biggest difference, as people who talk to them will have their guards down.

Kwin

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

How true!

This group will be part of the shaping influences on Jw's in the future, no doubt. Several possiblilities exist as to what will happen to Jw's as a religion. Moderatation of the policies would prob preserve this religion for a while. Tightening of the policies will most likely see the reduction of the organization in the short time future. I think this class will have everything to do with how/if any changes take place in this religion. Let's hope for the sake of those who must live lives of quiet desperation at this point, that it changes to the better.

Jeff

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Meanwhile as time marches on all the classes will grow old and die normally (disappointed) (and unsaved?)

Tens of thousands will die premature deaths for neglecting their long term health care maintenance (several of my own JW kin) and have non existent or meager retirement plans.

Sucks doesn't it?

Danny Haszard

• Tristram
    Tristram

Great observations, Truthseeker. Wow, you just described me!

(Hi everybody, btw. My first post.)

• logansrun
    logansrun

truthseeker,

Although it is logical to assume what you write is true to a certain extent the obvious question to ask is: How do you know this situation has actually come about? To what extent? Do you have numbers? (I doubt it.) Are you in communication with a number of "underground" JWs who could validate your hypothesis? In other words, I think you're engaging in a lot of armchair speculation. What you write may be true, but it's speculation nonetheless.

B.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Interesting comments.

LogansRun, you asked the question "how do I know"? There are many members on here that are active, including myself, who still go to the meetings and go out in service.

A lot of members on E-Watchman's Paradise Forum, are, for the most part active witnesses.

Yet, most of those members never see each other in person. Which is why I used the term hidden for two reasons.

1) These members HIDE who they are and their true feelings and intentions from friends and family.

2) These members are HIDDEN from other members, because most members are spread out globally among the witnesses.

I do not care to speculate on numbers, it's not necessary.

The psycho-digital divide is what separates true believers from those who know what's going on in the Society.

• upside/down
    upside/down

So are you saying JWD is like "Fight Club"... cuz i like it!

"You never talk about Fight Club...Sir"

u/d (of the Tyler class)

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Firstly, welcome Tristram,

Truthseeker, I think there is evidence on this and other boards that you are right. Just how many people like this there are is what is open to speculation. The fact that Tristram said your post described him suggests there is a lot in your theory.

In my view, this class of people are like little gems and represent real hope for the future. They can do much good, and perhaps drop tiny seeds without other JWs really noticing, but I fear for them because you are right that such a double life must be a strain. But at least they are enlightened, which must be somewhat liberating.

• Valis
    Valis

You know something has changed when your parents ask you when you are going to get life insurance or one of them is very proud of going to college and planning on pursuing further college education.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit