Does the WTS disfellowship mentally challenged people?

by Elsewhere 46 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

I would argue that any adult who voluntarily joins is mentally challenged or retarded.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Quotes, good point, the Bible labels anything that is slightly mentally ill as demonic. Ugh.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Iron: YOu're absolutely right!

(My sister was just slipping into her delusions when she got baptized. She had held out as the last of the "youth" in the congregation to not get baptized, but suddenly took the plunge at 17 years old.)

• Scully
    Scully

I've known a couple of JWs who were baptized in their early teens who later developed schizophrenia (usually it manifests itself in the late teens/early 20s, sometimes even later than that) and were DFd for their conduct while in an uncontrolled schizophrenic state.

• startingover
    startingover

When I was young my father was the congregation overseer, and I used to overhear secret congregation stuff. There was an older lady that had obvious mental problems. From what I can remember, I think she might have been schizophrenic, but I don't remember that ever being said. I remember she used to cause problems by accusing others of things that never happened and seemed to have multiple personalities.

I don't know exactly what she was DF'd for, but after contacting the society about the situation with her, they said that in making a decision a broken mind was no different than a broken arm.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Yes, depending on the degree to which the person can function in society.

During a CO meeting with Elders just a few years ago this was outlined. It would depend on a case by case basis...does the person have the ability to live on their own...can the person hold down a job...etc.

I know a mentally challenged sister who was publicly reproved for getting horizontal with a mentally challenged guy she worked with. I know a mentally challenged brother publicly reproved for a drinking problem. Now I wonder how the BOE determined repentance in these cases, hmmm???

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I knew a family who had an adopted daughter who always had behavior/emotional issues. I grew up with her, she was the same age as me and in special education at school. She was disfellowshipped last I knew of her. I don't think she could live on her own, but I'm not sure.

• Jourles
    Jourles

The degree of retardation is clearly a determining factor, since some of such children remain with the mentality of a four- or five-year-old even when fully grown.

Hell, they'll baptize those who are about that age physically.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I hope not - I WOULD NEVER HAVE

• toladest
    toladest

I know a young man that was baptized as a teen. He was VERY gung ho about being a JW. He became Schizophrenic and stole a car. He was arrested and his single mom begged the elders for help. They DFed him. They knew of his condition and did'nt care. She tried to get them to visit him in jail and they refused. I believe, if I remember correctly, he was RI and then DFed again for smoking.

His mother tried numerous times to get help caring for him from the elders. His mom is no longer a JW herself. HMMMMM wonder why????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit