Does the WTS disfellowship mentally challenged people?

by Elsewhere 46 Replies latest jw friends

• jula71
    jula71

Well, I know a woman up north that is mentally retarded who was found out in service and then baptized in time. So, in short, if they can be baptized, they can DF'd.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Elsewhere said:

: Has anyone ever seen a situation where the WTS disfellowhiped someone who is autistic, retarded or otherwise mentally challenged?

Yes. Some years ago an elder and his wife took it upon themselves to befriend certain people in several local congregations who suffered from DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder). These people were royally messed up at times, because they truly had several personalities. The personality that joined the Dubs was sometimes submerged and the person's actions were dominated by a personality that was incompatible with being a Dub. This elder complained to me that the Society instructed elders to ignore the mental disease and deal only with the person's actions, since the Bible says nothing about dealing with such screwed up people. "Kill 'em all and let God sort it out" is the Society's way of dealing with all mental disease.

I know of a case from 20-30 years ago where a woman who was physically deformed, and somwhat mentally challenged as a result, had a serious alcohol abuse problem. She was regularly disfellowshipped and reinstated, even though her abuse of alcohol was not known to other than several elders and a couple of JW women who more or less took the poor woman under their wing.

AlanF

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I know a woman up north that is mentally retarded who was found out in service and then baptized in time.

Well, there you go. It's all about the numbers!

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think it has to do with the degree of mentally challenged, as in some parts of Arkansas it might me normal. Just kidding. In all seriousness though, one was in our hall when he molested a girl and it was on the news.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

My sister is mentally ill and they df'd her just as fast as anything, but at the time, she was just becoming ill, so now that she's totally diagnosed and all, my mom still shuns her. I know mom has asked the elders, don't know what they told her, but mom currently feels that its' only okay to talk to her if she's in the middle of a mental breakdown, suicidal, or having hallucinations.

Such a loving organization.

• blondie
    blondie

I have known of only 1 higher functioning developmentally disabled person that was baptized. It is usually decided on a case by case basis.

w76 9/15 pp. 575-576 Questions from Readers

First Corinthians 7:14 states that children of a believing parent "are holy." Is baptism involved in such a child’s ‘holiness’ in God’s sight? What if the child is retarded?

The apostle Paul is here discussing problems in a divided family. He encouraged the believing mate not to leave the unbeliever and, as a strong reason for keeping the marriage intact, said this: "For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy." (1 Cor. 7:14) This shows that God views such children according to the principle of family merit. By family merit is meant the holiness that God credits, or imputes, to minor children who are obedient, to the extent that the child is unaccountable. This comes about due to the valuable record of holiness and good deeds that "parents in union with the Lord" have in God’s sight. (Eph. 6:1) This family merit applies even when only one of the parents is a believer, as Paul’s above-quoted words indicate.

What, then, of baptism? A young child who is faithfully taught God’s Word will no doubt progress in knowledge and understanding, and in time reach the point where God’s spirit motivates him to make his own dedication to Jehovah and to request baptism. (1 Pet. 3:21) To be prepared for baptism, he must appreciate his need to repent, be converted and come into a proper relationship with God. (Acts 3:19; 8:34-36) After baptism, he would no longer be under family merit, but would be viewed as "holy" on his own account, being responsible before God to pursue a life of dedication.—1 Pet. 1:14-16; Col. 1:21-23.

Should parents of retarded children feel that baptism is in all cases a requirement for children to be viewed by God as worthy of his protection in times of judgment, as in the foretold "great tribulation"? The degree of retardation is clearly a determining factor, since some of such children remain with the mentality of a four- or five-year-old even when fully grown. The child may be able to grasp certain basic teachings of God’s Word and repeat these when asked. He (or she) may be obedient to the parents and abstain from doing certain things that have been pointed out as wrong and contrary to God’s will. But is the child able to make personal decisions, able to decide from his own mind and heart (not that of the parents) the course in life he wishes to take? Is he capable of comprehending and seeking a personal relationship with God, one that is not dependent upon his parents? Is he able to stand before a judicial body, accountable for any wrongdoing he may commit? If not, then such child is evidently not in position to be baptized but would continue under family merit in God‘s eyes, counted by him as "holy" in that sense.

Hence, the matter should not be viewed emotionally but on the basis of Scriptural teachings. If the retardation is not great and the child is indeed capable of becoming a disciple of God’s Son, serving God with his own ‘heart, soul, mind and strength,’ then he could be aided to reach the point of baptism. (Mark 12:30) He then should be able to "carry his own load" of spiritual responsibility. (Gal. 6:5) The parents could seek the counsel of the elders if they are in doubt.

How faith-strengthening and comforting to know that young children, as well as mentally retarded older ones, may be regarded as "holy" due to family merit!

• blondie
    blondie

Notice how the WTS strings these people along though without assuring them that if these people don't get baptized that they won't be destroyed at Armageddon.

w71 1/15 pp. 63-64 Questions from Readers ***

The reply must also be "qualified" because the Bible does not pointedly say how God is going to handle certain unusual cases, such as those involving mentally retarded persons who never had the capacity to learn about Jehovah and his purposes. Regarding these unbaptized persons, it is possible that family merit may apply as in the case of minor, irresponsible children who have a faithful believing parent or guardian.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    I wonder if the elders give them more leeway knowing that they are not always capable of making decisions as well as a normal person.

I know that my dad used to be very distressed when the comittee decided to disfellowship someone who was not in full control of their faculties, but he got out-voted in most of those issues. It was felt that if the person could make it all the way through the baptismal process that they would be 'held responsible for their actions in honoring their contract' (baptism).

Used to really bum him out.

J

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Yes.

It is without mercy or finesse of judgement.

One family was torn apart when their son, with clinically diagnosed personality disorders, started manifesting a kleptomaniac phase. He was DF so fast your head would spin.

The mother had a breakdown. The elders argument was that the Mosaic Law made no allowance for mental illness.

You wouldn't think Christ had ever paid a visit would you?

HB

• Quotes
    Quotes

TIMMY!

OK, seriously now.

Mental problems presents a special problem for dubs, and frankly for other branches of Xtianity too. How can someone "belive, repent, and be saved" if they don't understand (due to mental problems)? Of course, it is even more difficult for a "works based" religion like Watchtowerism, where you have to do more than simply repent and accept Jesus.

Frankly, the bible ignores mental problems and treats all problems as "demonization". Not surprising for a book written by many and various goat herders and fishers that were not familiar with the empirical science.

~Quotes, of the "tourettes" class (g*d da#$ m!@#er f*&@#er)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit