Shark Attack !

by Tigerman 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

All the sharks are not in the water.

Saturday, June 25, just about 10 miles up the beach from where I live in Florida, a 14 year old girl was killed by a shark as she swam about 100 yards offshore. ( please Google for story ). I e-mailed the local paper, the Daily News, and lambasted them for saying in the headline that the girl was 250 yards offshore, thus making it appear to readers that she was bitten because she was so far out from shore. They actually downplayed the incident using this girl's good name! The S. Walton Co.( where the attack took place ) officials closed the beach to swimmers, however, the adjacent county, Okaloosa Co. did not . . .and the attack took place practically on the county line !

Monday, June 27, about 10 miles due East, in Bay County, from where Jamie was killed on Saturday, a 16 year old boy who was fishing in waist deep water about 60 feet offshore was struck by a shark on his upper thigh and had to have his leg amputated . . .he is in critical condition as I write.

This young man may very well still have his leg if the county officials had acted appropriately . . but the word on the street down here in " Paradise " is that it will never happen because the officials are in bed with the real estate and tourist opportunists.

And this is the Bible belt . . .

Comments please.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    And this is the Bible belt

They still love their money in the Bible Belt. It's a pity that greed has caused this tragedy.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Yes, that is exactly it.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I've heard that sharks are very territorial. Hopefullly the sharks draw the line the same place the county does...

I've actually been shark fishing, and that is really excting. But those things can do some real damage.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

{Double Post}

DO you tink we could prevent shark attack by playing the Jaws music when they swim up? Cause if I was in the water and heard that music, I would get the hell out!

• Dustin
    Dustin

My worst fear is being eaten alive by an animal, especially something like a shark. It just creeps me out. Anyways, I wish my condolences to her family.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Reminds me of the Jaws movie when the local sheriff could not get the county officials to close down the beach for people's safety; they might lose tourist money.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I have been "bumped" twice while surfing by sharks. Usually sharks are simply looking for food. Sharks as a rule do not like humans. We are a bit bony and not their usual diet. But your chances of having a problem are miniscule.....so before we all lose our minds please consider:
    According to the International Shark Attack File, between 1580 and 2003 there were 1,909 confirmed shark attacks around the world.
    Region Confirmed Attacks Deaths
    United States 737 38
    Hawaii 96 14
    Australia 282 132
    Africa 255 67
    Asia 114 53
    Europe 39 1
    South America 89 21
    Antil. & Bahamas 57 19
    Bermuda 4 0
    Mex & Cent. Amer. 57 31
    Oceania 115 48
    New Zealand 44 9
    Other 20 6
    World 1909 456
    • In the U.S., your chances of getting killed by lightning are 30 times greater than dying of a shark attack.

• Bees, wasps, and snakes kill more people each year than sharks.

• Drowning, heart attacks, beach accidents resulting in spinal injury, sunburn, cuts from stepping on sea shells, dehydration, jellyfish stings, and traffic accidents going to or from the beach are all far more common than shark attacks.

• In 1996 in the U.S. there were 18 reported injuries and deaths from shark attacks, but 198,849 injuries from working with screws, nails, tacks, and bolts; 138,894 injuries from ladders; 43,687 injuries from toilets; and 36,091 injuries while pruning, trimming, or edging plants.

• Between 1959 and 1990, 5,528 people were stuck by lightning in the 22 coastal states (excluding Alaska) and Puerto Rico, with 1,505 fatalities. During the same period, there were 336 shark attacks in the coastal waters of those states, with 12 fatalities.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Evil . . thanks for the info, and you are right about staying cool about this issue. However, I do believe that visitors to this area should be well informed as to the realities of venturing into a predator's domain. I live on the beach and spend a lot of time in the water;it's my favorite place to be, but I remain aware. And I can honestly say a great majority of people that go into the water have not a clue as to the potential dangers. It's only because of the many drownings that we had the last couple years that officials put up new signs and a new warning flag system on the beach.

I hope this thing doesn't get out of hand. A local told me yesterday that what we need was a
    "shark harvest ". I'm glad he walked away after he said it cause we would have argued.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I agree with you....people are clueless. It always amazes me to watch morons ply themselves with enough liquor to drop a horse and then go swimming in the ocean or drive their boats and jet skis....UGH! Sharks rarely pose a danger to humans. But humans do pose a danger to sharks! Fishermen kill an estimated 30 million to 100 million sharks every year. About 75 shark species are in danger of becoming extinct.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit