Perhaps All Roads do Lead to Rome

by LouBelle 26 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8
    gotta stop blaming us stupid humans for god's problems. it doesn't sound like much of a god to me if he let's us mess up his plans and image so badly. if god really really wanted us to have the right picture of him, he would have used his brush of omniscience to do a better job of painting it for us.

That is one of the most interesting things I've ever heard. How is it possible I've never thought of that before??

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

.. or maybe.. God is a myth and doesnt really exist. It's not so bad.

GBL

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey emo,

The way I see it is that it's us stupid humans that are God's problems! We misinterpret/misrepresent His word and add our own rules and regulations. We twist it to suit our own purposes.

why how convenient!

seriously though, i see what you're saying. i used to use that same argument myself. but you are right, i do not agree. this is one of the things that makes me disrespect religion and the god(s) they worship. but one thing i noticed you did not do here, is simply ask "why?". either people have not asked why, or they have and have not been honest with themselves. this is why i give religion the ultimate disrespect of "stupid". i don't really care if it's taboo to criticize religious belief systems, they deserve criticism as the absurd memetic phenomenon that they are.

why would we twist it to our own ends? why doesn't god bloody do something about it if he exists? why are we his problem? if he's omnimax, why does he have problems in the first place? why does he seem so dysfunctional? is the answer honestly: satan?

could the answer be because we made him up? could it be that it is only convenient to say that we are made in his image, when it is more realistic to say that he has been made in our image? could it be that satan is in our image too?

when are we going to stop it & drop it with this watered-down bronze age war-god that christianity, judaism and islam all worship? when are we going to grow up?

I still believe that most of the religions originally taught a message of love for God and one's neighbour.

too bad god had no love for us! -- and then god killed all mankind for a couple of moron's mistakes by crippling our genome . and then cain killed abel, his neighbor. and then god flooded the world, and killed more people. and then moses and joshua killed all their neighbors because god told them to do so. where is the love of neighbor there? where is god's love for US?! where is god's justice and mercy? perhaps it is not there because we have none ourselves? does the puzzle not start to come together at this point?

then some NT writers realized that god had been made out to be a big bad army general, and so gave him some love. so now, we get to burn in hell with our neighbors instead.

if the original religions really taught love for neighbor and god, AND god was behind this great advancement of civilization, we would not have more than one religion. God failed us.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    That is one of the most interesting things I've ever heard. How is it possible I've never thought of that before??

... probably because of the tendancy to stick with a particular structure when it comes to thinking.

Sure, if nothing else we just have to work with the structure of language, but if we just take a step back and look at how just this particular discussion takes shape we see it sticks very closely to certain concepts to make it work - the idea of a personal God, religion being a path and so forth. If that's all one knows, sure, the best bet is to reason with them within those confines. But then in that process you are reinforcing the same operational limits, (not necessarily just for the other party) and thinking becomes very rigid rather than fluid and free flowing. From that perspective it's hard to get too excited about the same concepts arranged in a different way.

So as far as the topic is concerned, I wouldn't say all paths lead to Rome - I would say all LEGO are little plastic bricks.

• Pole
    Pole

Hi LouBelle,

Is it possible that God appeared to different cultures as different Gods????

Just so that millions would be killed over the issue of which of these appearances is the true one?
    I don't think so.
    Rather what the great variety of religious beliefs all over the world shows is the common human psyche underlying them. Most of us need mystical archetypes and metaphors to live by.
    Pole

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

MarkfromCali - when someone speaks truth & that resonates within me then of course I'd use it/store it/treasure it, it's not their truth - they've just spoken truth & my 'spirit' within picks up on this..... we agree and are one in spirit/truth. I'm not letting them think for me or being bound by their thoughts...... At the end of the day when one is stripped of everything: religion, finance, family, whatever....can you still stand and be true to yourself. Only at that time will you be able to answer that as the "what ifs" don't make up for reality.

I agree with Tetrapod.sapien - religions are stupid & I've given up on them.

• hmike
    hmike

LouBelle,

Did you modify your profile biography? I seem to remember there was something joyful about it before that's not there now. Was it my imagination?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit