I can't shake em!

by Oxnard Hamster 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Hey, what's up everyone? I have a little problem. You see, one JW keeps trying to recruit me. However, I'm too polite to tell him I'm not interested, so I've been passively putting him off, but he doesn't seem to get the message. I still want to be friends with this guy, because he is a cool person, but I want to make it clear I want no part of their religion anymore. Any advice?

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

"Dude, I really think you are a cool person. It's just that I don't think I want to be a part of your religion anymore."

"Whatsa matta with my religion?"

"Nothing much, they are just to cultish for me. They all believe the same thing all over the world. That isn't normal. They're nice enough, but I mean, they need therapy and real lives."

Yeah, play the honesty card. In the long run it is the better choice. You may lose the friend, but if so were they really a friend? My opinion, anyway.

• Netty
    Netty
    but I want to make it clear I want no part of their religion anymore. Any advice?

Yes, make it clear that you want no part of their religion anymore.

It could be that the only reason he is befriending you, is to recruit you anyway. This is a sure way to find out, and is pretty likely.

• gumby
    gumby

I'd say, "I found out the witnesses were full of shit....you want me to tell ya why"?

Actually, I'd ask him it he thought it would be wise and honest, to act as though he believe's something he doesn't truely believe. Get the honest answer that question deserves.....then tell him what those things are. If refuses to listen, ask him if he thinks it's fair for a question to not be answered if it's a fair question.

Gumby

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is where you find out if he is just being your buddy to convert you or not.

Just be straight with him... let him know that you like him but you have absolutely no intentions of ever being a JW and you have no desire to study or discuss the religion with him.

It's one of those "man to man" things and if he is a man he will respect you for it, if not, he is just being nice for the purpose of manipulating you.

• greendawn
    greendawn

You should be firm but polite to him, the jws are a destructive cult and you wouldn't want to have your life messed up by getting sacked into it. Tell him no offence meant, but you don't wish to become part of it.

You will be surprised how quickly "love" evaporates when someone becomes a jw.

• rebel8
    rebel8

How about...

"I would like to make it clear that I do not want to have any part of Jehovah's Witnesses, now or in the future. I believe it would be in the best interests of our friendship to not discuss religion from this point forward."

Use the broken record technique....repeat as necessary...except add, "Do you remember when I asked you not to discuss religion with me any more? I'm concerned that you aren't respecting my wishes."

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Sadly, I doubt that anything you say will work. They live to recruit people.

Our old JW buddies are the same way. The act like they're coming over for a simple visit, but it always ends with, "We're having an excellent speaker this Sunday. You need to come see him."

Or, "Here's a new book just released by the WT."

Then they ALWAYS leave the latest Awake and Watchtower.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I would be trying to help him reject the WTBTS as God's voice to mankind. The evidence is all over the internet that the WTBTS/JW cult is not Christian, not from God and is led by some drunken sailors up in NY who are always 'tacking in the wind' so they can get to the desired destination.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    sonnyboy: Then they ALWAYS leave the latest Awake and Watchtower.

That is really helpful of them! Saves you having to go to the KH literature counter for the latest in sophistry from the pen of the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses (formerly Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit