I can't shake em!

by Oxnard Hamster 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

A co-worker had a similar experience with a JW neighbour. Both had children about the same ages and they would end up chatting at the park while the children played. Eventually the JW started Witnessing™ to my co-worker, and even though she wasn't interested in becoming a JW herself, she remained polite and respectful to keep the "friendship" at the park going between herself and the JW and as well between the children.

I had kind of mentioned that I hoped the JW wasn't just being friendly with her in an attempt to recruit her. I told her how JWs keep track of the time that they spend discussing the Bible with non-JWs and turn in a monthly report, and that I was guessing that this is what was happening with her too. She was shocked! How could this nice JW lady who was so sincere and so genuinely interested in her and her family have an ulterior motive? I just said "You know what? I hope I'm wrong and this lady is different from the way Jehovah's Witnesses are trained to be. But I'd also feel really bad if I didn't say something to you now, because I know it hurts a lot when you find out that a Witness has only been friendly with you for the purpose of getting you to join the religion. You're my friend and I care about you enough to alert you to that possibility. I know that it happens because I used to be a Witness and that is how we were trained. I just don't want you to get trapped in a conditional friendship with this lady, based on whether you agree to get involved with her religion or not."

She dropped the subject and didn't mention a thing for a couple of months. Then finally one day out of the blue, she came to me and told me that I had been right. The JW lady had started walking home from the park with my co-worker and then continued on her way to her own home. After about a week of that, on Saturday morning the JWs came calling, and it was the JW lady from the park with her husband and children, all decked out for Field Service™ and offering the new Learning From The Great Teacher book. My co-worker told me that it took a lot of courage for her to say that she loves talking to her about the Bible, but she has no interest in joining the Witnesses or even studying with them. The JW lady informed her that she wouldn't be able to chat with her in the park anymore. Just like that. And my friend realized that this lady wasn't interested in her friendship at all, just in logging time on her Field Service Report™ at my friend's expense.

• shera
    shera

You can be polite and truthful at the same time,but really.....your going to loose him as a friend when he does finally get the point.Your "worldy"(i hate that word..pfffffttt) and they can't have association with the world as in friendship.

When it comes down to it..he really ins't your "friend",your a book study and hours for feild service.

Sorry if I sound harsh,I don't want to come across as a meanie.

***hugs***

~Heather

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

If he genuinely likes you and hasn;t just been trying to convert you then he'll stay friends. As a kid I had friends who would humour me by listening as they knew that the only way I could play with them was if I told my parents I was witnessing to them. That would take a minute or two and oncce that was out oft he way we could be normal kids, but I had countless bible studies on this basis.

JWs are not permitted to be friends with non JWs unless they are becoming witnesses because worldly people (that is all people not a JW - even if they are a devout member of another religion living in abject poverty) are considered bad association. Why say that you;ve heard the above and ask if its true. Ask if he will still be buddies if you don;t want to talk about religion anymore and then see how he behaves.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    JWs are not permitted to be friends with non JWs unless they are becoming witnesses because worldly people (that is all people not a JW - even if they are a devout member of another religion living in abject poverty) are considered bad association. Why say that you;ve heard the above and ask if its true. Ask if he will still be buddies if you don;t want to talk about religion anymore and then see how he behaves.

This is a really good approach actually...perhaps if I could go further and suggest that you point out that to you, a friendship is about tolerance and open mindedness; ask him if he agrees? (he probably will) Then point out that you appreciate his strong beliefs but dont mind hearing about them once in a while but you are not prepared to be a JW...then watch for the backtrack.

I hope hes genuine and that you dont lose a friend over this but I have to agree that mainly JWs only befriend people who are not JWs with the sole purpose of recruiting them into the religion.

Let us know what happens

DB74

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I believe you are an English teacher, no??? Well, tell them plain and simple in English.

I am no longer interested in the teachings of the JW's but I do want to continue to be your

friend. Can we meet for...coffee...drink...whatever? See what he has to say. If he backs

away, you are better off.

PLEASE do yourself a favor and get some balls and tell him the truth, which is another part of

education that you no doubt adhere to.

Keep us posted,

AuntieJ

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    The JW lady informed her that she wouldn't be able to chat with her in the park anymore. Just like that. And my friend realized that this lady wasn't interested in her friendship at all, just in logging time on her Field Service Report™ at my friend's expense.

Wow, if that isn't the spirit of the world (exploitation), what is? It's kind of like making friends just to sell them MLM crap. Wait... they do that too.

Good luck on everything Oxnard.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Back in my JW days, I almost had a study with a co-worker. We were friends at work too.

She had accepted a study after I had showed her a few scriptures to answer her question. A couple days later at work, she said to me: "Can we still be friends IF I don't study with you?" , because I realy don't want the Bible study. I said: "sure" and I meant it. I respected a person being "honest" with me. I really didn't want a study with someone who really didn't want it anyway....I never pushed religion on anybody!!!

Honesty is the best policy!!!!I

Codeblue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit