Anything worth seeing in Boston?

by Pole 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Pole
    Pole

Hi everyone.

I'm going to Boston, MA for 5 days (6-11th of July) to a conference held at the MIT. So I'll be staying in Cambridge actually, but it seems to be adjacent to Boston. On one of the days I'm supposed to give a presentation, but I should also have a day or two off for sightseeing.

Since there are a lot of American posters here I thought you might have some suggestions as to what is worth seeing there. I'll check travel guides, but I'd like to hear some real people's opinions if anyone "has been there and done that".

Pole

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Are the Red Sox playing any home games at Fenway Park?

Are you a history buff? There are tons of historical sites to see!

Maybe you should GOOGLE Boston travel and see what comes up!

Enjoy your trip,

hugs,

Annie

• lawrence
    lawrence

Having grown up and went to school in Boston -

* Art Museum (Huntington Avenue) Excellent Archaeology (Egyptian)

* Science Museum

* Harvard Museums

* Freedom Trail Tour

* Aquarium

* Fenway - nothing like it!

* Boat from Rowes Wharf to Nantasket

* Trip to the Vineyard (if enough time)

• Pole
    Pole
    Are the Red Sox playing any home games at Fenway Park?

Thanks Annie. I'll check that. That's the kind of suggestion I was hoping to get. Are the Red Sox a hockey, baseball or American football team? LOL. Remember I'm a damned Euro who only understands soccer, basketball and voleyball ... and hockey for that matter. LOL.

Ok, I've just gogoled Red Sox. Baseball, hmmm. Next Game: Mon., June 27 @ 7:05 p.m. ET. Too late. But you gave me an idea. I'll lok for events.

Thanks.

Pole

• Pole
    Pole

lawrence,

Trip to the Vineyard (if enough time)

Does it involve tasting wines :-)? Is it outside of Boston?

Pole

• lawrence
    lawrence

The Vineyard - Martha's Vineyard - an hour and a half drive from Boston and then a boat ride to the island - Martha's Vineyard. A very beautiful place with a nude beach down at Gay Head - cliff mud and places to heal, sweat, and bathe. I spent 2 weeks sleeping there on the beach one fall in a tent, then headed to France, and while in France, wondered why I left the island cliffs.

peace and blessings

• Pole
    Pole
    A very beautiful place with a nude beach down at Gay Head

Got it - just a proper name. I guess Boston is to high up in the North to get any real vineyards. A nude beach? Wow. I wanna try it. Not if it's nude Gay, though - that might be boring for me.

LOL. ;-)

Pole

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I hear they have a wonderful tea party.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

• Walk the Freedom Trail

• Visit Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market

• Experience a recreation of the Boston Tea Party

• Visit the Boston Common and the Public Garden

• Visit the Boston Harbor Islands

Also.... Check out Chinatown in Boston. That might be fun for you. I also like to walk around in BackBay area of town. They have lots of great food and shops. But the campus areas of MIT, Cambridge and Harvard are quite nice to with pubs and whatnot to have a beer. Oh, by the way Gay Head isn't really gay....just it's name. You'll be in Boston right after July 4th which is our Independance Day....so I'm sure there will be lots of parades and live music in the parks all week during that 4th of July week.

I love Boston, it's a great city!

• chrissy
    chrissy

Hi Pole!

I use to live in Providence, RI., about a half-hour away from Boston. I frequented the city and found lots of great things to do...I'm certain you'll have a great time! The best thing about the city is that it is walkable. Which is essential, because let me tell you (as they say in boston), if you are hiring a car out of Logan and driving the city..you are in for a challenge. The streets were fashioned after a 17th century grid and remain unchanged. Many are one-way and it is easy to get lost while simply trying to circle a block.

Since you will be in Cambridge anyway, I suggest taking a harbor cruise and double deck bus tour combination package you can get at the back entrance to the Cambridge Side Galleria. They offer a discount if you purchase both, I wanna say under $30. The out of town visitors that I suggested this to, really enjoyed both. Also, it is basically the only way to get a photo of the entire Boston skyline, if you are into photography. Another little tip about the Galleria...they have the cheapest parking in town @ 3.99 on nights and weekend. Parking is a *itch in this city. Not only expensive but majorly in short supply.

There are lots of Italians in this city, so if you like Italian food, the North End has the best little bunch of Italian-American owned and operated restaurants and bakeries. A place called Terramia being the absolute best in this girl's humble opinion. And of course for Seafood, I recommend Legal Seafood for awesome new england clam chowder.

Happy travels,

Chrissy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit