2005 "Godly Obedience" District Convention Report

by CyrusThePersian 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• toladest
    toladest

Sounds like a damage control meeting to me.

First they are trying to keep old ones from getting "discouraged" over having been lied to about living forever. Then, they are addressing those where perhaps baptized young. You must let your yes mean yes even when you did not understand what your yes meant because like myself, you were 14 ( or 9,10,11,12, 13, 15,16) and did not have a clue about the real world. It also addressed ANY baptized that don't understand what is NOW being asked. When you said "yes" to them it meant yes to what they taught at the time and yes to whatever they may change their teachings to in the future. That is like signing a contract that you can't change, but the other party can change at whim. That is why in the real world you have to be an adult and be of "right" mind to sign a contract. How many of us would have been baptized if it would have been put to us that way?

Lastly, they are addressing the problem of cable, satelite tv and the internet. Accourding to the WTS it does not matter what is discovered about the bible and it's authorship. Have you watched the discovery and history channels? Have you seen the info on the internet? Have you read about the lost books of the bible or even about who decided what writtings belonged in the bible? But....... Don't believe any of that! Oh no! Don't believe what scientist and historians say! Just believe the WTS.

The many years I went to the conventions, there seemed to be some damage control, but it seems much more blatent now, 7 years later. Is it just me? Am I just seeing it more clearly? Or does it seem that they are grasping for straws to keep the rank & file "in"?

• Honesty
    Honesty

How many times are the WT drones going to call the convention a 'spiritual paradise?

They sure don't get much for 3 days. A sore @ss and a flash of light full of lies.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Cyrus!

I applaud your skills at not falling about laughing and shouting 'what a load of bollocks' at the assembly.

Thanks for going, though and reporting back. It's always interesting to know what craziness is going on in dub land.

Gill

• potleg
    potleg

I think the society is fighting a loosing battle.. People today are a lot more savy and they want real answer to real questions. The old idea of just believe and trust us isn't working too well anymore. Look at the world wide report. The internet and access to older society publications show them to be the gas bags they are. If you want to be a happy JW don't trust anyone and stick your head in the Watchtower. As time passes they get further away from reality.

• heathen
    heathen

which post were you talking about SF ? If it's the one you hilited there , that wasn't mine .

LOL@potleg -The internet and access to older society publications show them to be the gas bags they are.

That's why they went to extremes to keep people off the web . For people who claim to love truth they sure don't like the truth about the org.

• potleg
    potleg

Any organization that's got it's followers to believe in old truths, new truths, past and present truths, is messed up. What they don't want is to admit the real truth... that they are the blind leading the blind.

• bavman
    bavman
    Finally, the moment everyone was waiting for--the part, "What Does The Bible Really Teach?" The speaker made the comment that we should ignore " superstition about the Bible's origin and authorship" Yeah like the Bible's claim of divine inspiration despite hundreds of pages of God-approved blood-thirsty carnage or the looney laws such as how to tell if one's wife has been unfathful (by making her drink dirty water-if she gets sick--Bingo!-Num.5:11-28)

Even the facts about the bible being man-written are called a superstition by the WTBS I see....hmmmm....

• heathen
    heathen

Yah potleg and you never see an apology just excuses and admitance of being imperfect , like no duh who isn't imperfect . If that's what people are willing to settle for that's just what they are going to get . What I don't like is the fact they want people to believe that God had it all planned this way , like God wants people to believe lies until he feels comfortable in telling the facts . I can say that in the first century the apostle John said to test the inspired expression to see whether they originate with God . 1st John 4:1

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"To me all the recent garbage on the resurrection is just WT spin control on their own failed prophesies about the end of the world."

Next, you'll be telling me that the Old Testament prophets did NOT actually come back in 1925. *LOL*

Huntsville is a great town. I've been thru there a couple of times, and went to a DC in Tuscaloosa once ... maybe in the late 70s. If I was dragged to Alabama again for a DC? I'd detour to Mobile & head to the USS Alabama. There's a great battleship to tour, along with a WWII-era submarine & various planes & tanks & such things, including another SR-71 Blackbird the last time I was there.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Thank you, Cyrus.

I'm so glad that you got to skip the second day, and that you did not experience brain damage during the first days BS.

The museum sounds great! I love all things that fly and would love to have seen the blackbird. One of my favorites.

Jean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit