What words and phrases do Brits and others see as 'American'?

by sonnyboy 114 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Well day-yum, flyin', that was a purdy lil piece-a writin' y'all did, hun!

Yay-sss, dah-lin', Grandma-ma took the New England lock jaw accent, think Thurston Howell the Third, and jazzed (pronounced J-eye-zzed) it up so that it sounded day- im (not day-um) say-ix-ee. Thy-att hay-undsim wummin (short U short I ) had some moxie (mawksie). I met several people from deep Appalachia, Northeast Georgia who sounded like they just got off the boat from England. Nooooooo kiddin'.

I drop the g's off of words endin' in ING, a lot. And lemme done tell you somethin', my university educated mother made us used to done pay 'er fuh ever' po use of grammar. I lost a few nickels trying to beat the double negative habit. (We moved from Mobile to Southeast Louisiana bayou country when I was nearly 7. I garen damn tee ya, dey have a charmin' accent don there, yeah. Talk about coo(L). Now, git out the car ritet nahw. Or madddd, ooooooo talk about angrieeee. Y'all don gone make me sooooo mad and I'll hit you so hard you gon' git a boe boe.Yeah and when you do, you gon' say ooooo eye yie yie yie yie yie yie!)

• greendawn
    greendawn

FMZ, a biscuit in England is a cookie in the USA, but for you a biscuit what exactly is it if not a scone? I understand it's not something dry and cruchy.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Green I am from the UK... lol, moved here to Missouri 4 years ago.

Yes, a UK biscuit is a USA cookie. But a USA biscuit is not a UK scone. Biscuit are made more buttery and much more flaky. Scones are way different.

KJ

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Yessir, dat dem cayjons got desses talkin' all to dees sef.

( I am fluent also in appalachia, can can get a southern accent back as fast as 5 hours.) But I try to avoid at all costs. Now living in Indiana, I just hope I dont get that nasty midwestern nasaly tone, don't ya know.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Now living in Indiana, I just hope I dont get that nasty midwestern nasaly tone, don't ya know.

Well sir, Melba, as my north Georgia other grandaddy used to say: well sir,( Well sir is Georgia the following is a mixture of all my regional movin' around the country) hadn't anyone don' tole ya dat North of Indianapolis is really just Southern Michigan and sout' of Indianapolis is really just Northern Kentucky?

Here's hopin' ya'll is livin' south of Indy.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

would you believe right smack dab in the middle of indy? East side to be correct.....so Im right on the border, once again :P

• greendawn
    greendawn

FMZ since you are from the UK (surprise, surprise with the American flag under your avatar I could never guess it LOL) what is the UK or European pastry that approaches the US biscuit, the most?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    would you believe right smack dab in the middle of indy?

Well, I hadn't figgered out that one, Miss Melba, not right yet. I mean....I mean....I mean wutt the heck does mid indy people sound lack anyway? Are they most-leh yankee or are they most-leh southern soundin'? I know they sure have a lot more fun at their gas station/ 7-11's than they do up here in Michigan. Up here they are so bland and lackluster, but they are very polite and perty darn nice. Down there they play music loud enough to hear it and they even sing along, the clerks that is.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Americans also tend to pronounce the "t" like the letter d"
    as in
    Water, Fatter, Pity= sounds like "wawder, fadder, piddy"
    or sometimes we Americans don't even pronounce the "t" at all like in the word "mitten"

-Doodle-V

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Welp, Flyin, I aint quit figgered it out yet, but when ah do, ya'll be the first ta know! BTW, I always sing along to the radio :) Especially when I was working a stint at the local 7-11! True Dat!

In other words, Im a ghetto-fabulous Michigander who moved to West by-god Virginia and left BFE when I was old enough to think :) I moved to indy and its about the same here...just hoosiers get a bit unnerved when ya call em Northern Kentuckians! LOL!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit