What words and phrases do Brits and others see as 'American'?

by sonnyboy 114 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

In the USA the accents are enough to make you think you've travelled with Dr.Who. I grew up in New Jersey and spoke with rrrs where none existed and

aaa's where rrr's were written motha= mother; fatha=father ; sista = sister; brotha = brother

ch where g's were written example: ahr'nch = orange; garbich = garbage

and wawlk thah dawg.

In Oregon the change wasn't really that bad.

In Wisconsin I thought all the men had sniffed helium... honest the voices were so high pitched... I still don't know why but it was creepy.

In Illinois a few people had a sort of southern accent but more understandable.

In Texas I could not understand directions at the morning meeting for field service for months. Now "Yah'll" has become second nature and I try really hard to understand. But the further south I git the mo' hah'rid 't b'co. Almost Shakespearean wouldn't yah'll agree?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When I was a small girl living in Mobile, Alabama, I remember my mother correcting me. I used to say idear and Chicargo. Mom didn't like it not none, not some, nor at all. Notnonesomeatall. Oh yeah, and when we moved to southwest Louisiana, mom used to make us pay her for saying AX instead of ask. Don't ever start saying ax for ask because lemme done tell you somethin', it's HARD habit to break.

• zagor
    zagor

Not a Brit of American but would love to know who made up

happifying

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

In South Africa we use the word Robot for Traffic light. Every other place in the world uses Traffic light. Not us - this is a Robot.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    I often wonder why some words were changed while (whilst) others were left alone. What about wise? Disguise? Rose? Hose? Shouldn't Americans spell them with a Zee too?

To partly answer your question sonny, Webster's plan for reforming English spelling only centred on 10 main classes of words":

1. "-our" to "-or"

2. "-re" to "-er" 3. dropping final "k" in "publick," etc.
    4. changing "-ence" to "-ense" in "defence," etc.

5. use single "l" in inflected forms, e.g. "traveled"

6. use double "l" in words like "fulfill"

7. use "-or" for "-er" where done so in Latin, e.g. "instructor," "visitor"

8. drop final "e" to give: ax, determin, definit, infinit, envelop, medicin, opposit, famin, (others)

9. use single "f" at end of words like "pontif," "plaintif"

10. change "-ise" to "-ize" wherever this can be traced back to Latin and Greek (where a "zeta" was used in the spellings) or a more recent coining which uses the suffix "-ize" (from Greek "-izein")

Needless to say, clauses 8 and 9 didn't catch on, and clause 10 didn't affect words like "wise", "disguise", "rose" and "hose" because they're not from Greek. The reason he didn't want to push too far was because if he did, people would have been too hostile, and NONE of the changes would have been adopted...

... Oh yeah, and when we moved to southwest Louisiana, mom used to make us pay her for saying AX instead of ask. Don't ever start saying ax for ask because lemme done tell you somethin', it's HARD habit to break.

Funnily enough, the varient "axe" is as old as "ask". The verb in Old English was "ascian", which underwent a process of metathesis perhaps influenced by the Skandinavian (Viking) word "aeske". If this influence didn't take place the word would likely have evolved into "ash" or "esh", following the sound changes of other words*. "Axe" was an accepted literary form until about 1600. It was used in geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales... "I axe, hwy the fyfte man was nought housband to the Samaritan?" (Wife's Prologue 1386)
    So don't feel guilty about using "ax" FlyingHigh, it's just as valid...

* In the 6th century the Anglo-Saxon sound cluster "sc" changed from [sk] to [sh] for an unknown reason... the invasion of the Norse/Vikings in 8th century reintroduced [sk] words into Old English giving us words that meant the same but were pronounced differently. Scirt, scatter, scip, sceull and scin gave us the varients shirt / skirt, shatter / skatter, ship / skipper, shell / skull and shin / skin)... Eventually these words gradually diverged in meaning to become different words in their own right... (Guess what the Swedish word "skit" is in English? hehe)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit