What words and phrases do Brits and others see as 'American'?

by sonnyboy 114 Replies latest jw friends

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

As an American, I see words such as cheerio, blimey, bloody (when referring to something negative), loo, bugger, fag (cigarette), etc. as chiefly British (I suppose they are).

What words and/or phrases do you consider to be chiefly American? I'm honestly unaware of which words I use that may not be used in other English-speaking countries. What other things in U.S. culture do you consider to be chiefly 'American'?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

"Soda," in Canada we call it pop.

"Ginger Ale," in the UK they call it Ginger Beer.

Football/Soccer, sure you know this one.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    "Ginger Ale," in the UK they call it Ginger Beer.

Lol - no, they are 2 different drinks here.

Fries - chips

Chips - crisps

Candy? Is that all types of confectionery?

Trunk - boot

Hood - bonnet

Elevator - lift

Apartment - flat

Sidewalk - pavement

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Lol - no, they are 2 different drinks here.

Damn you Charles Dickens. *shakes fist*

I plead ignorance, I got that from reading Great Expectations.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Fanny... erm... American - butt, English - lady's genitalia.

Careful of this one, when my wife-to-be came over to England we were going to visit Albert Docks, and when discussing our plans with my folks, Tammy said "I really should get a fanny-pack to put my stuff in". The room fell silent. We soon found out that the American "fanny-pack" is what we commonly knew in England as a "bum-bag".

KJ

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

the_classisist - really? Gosh - that's one of my favourite books......gimme a clue?

• Preston
    Preston

As for certain American phrases.....which I think we should retire ASAP is....(takes deep breath)...... "Git R' Done". Please refrain from using ...it makes us appear foolish to our English cousins.... must not let that happen.

- Preston

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

the_classisist - really? Gosh - that's one of my favourite books......gimme a clue?
    I believe Pip was drinking Ginger Beer, I don't remember where, but that's where I got it from (OR Hard Times, by Charles Dickens, I could've mixed them up, but I'm pretty sure it was GE).

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks, the_classisist - got this from Dickens Glossary (and it was Great Expectaions, I found the quote!) :- ginger-beer - non-alcoholic beverage flavored with ginger. This is fast turning into a ginger beer / ale thread, with a splattering of Dickens.

''Just nipping outside to roll a fag'' I imagine conjures a whole series of images somewhat different to those originally intended.

Yard - is that a WHOLE back garden?

• FMZ
    FMZ

Midwich, that's not quite as bad as a Manc asking "Hey mate, can I bum a fag?"

KJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit