What Kinds of Jobs Do JWs Have That You Know Of?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles
    It isn't a college education that guarantees you a job. Be very careful what your major is.

Very true. I am so glad I dropped out and didn't waste more time continuing to study something that doesn't interest me anymore. Now that I am in a profession that I LOVE, I plan on returning to finish what I started. Not for the piece of paper in a frame though, but to learn all that can be learned so that I can be more proficient in my job. My new company will pay $8k a year for college and they will even pay all costs upfront(I just need to get at least a C+ in all the classes I take). I am not letting this opportunity get away. And now that I don't have to worry about elder's visits, meetings and such, I can devote more time to concentrate on my studies. Can't wait/.

• G Money
    G Money

Most I knew were Carpenters or pool cleaners (men). Women would pioneer or be on welfare or disability for CFS of Fibromyalgia.

There was a guy in insurance and Spanish brothers love to be gardeners whilst their wives are cleaners.

Many would get involved in MLMs untill the pyramid schemes broke down, then they'd switch.

Another was a CPA, I did know one attorney. Not sure if she is still in.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

Most JW's I knew had civil servant jobs. In Canada these generally pay quiite well. The PO worked for the parks board, on MS worked for CP rail. Another was a mailman (despite finishing top of his highschool class and getting a full scholarship to Waterloo University). One sister works for deaf sevices.

I must admit that if you have no education and limited job skills a kingdom hall is a great place to network for plumb jobs.

• Mary
    Mary
    Blondie said: Don't get a major in French or geography and wonder why the only field open to you is teaching. Or a degree in Elizabethan poetry, or economics, comparative literature.

I think it depends on where you live. Up here (Canada), a degree in Geography can get you a damn good job......ditto for having a degree in Economics..........

• inquirer
    inquirer

Netty Re
    yes the ones working at the police (I know two) do not carry a gun.

Not sure how you can be a police officer, and not carry a gun.

Inquirer.

What about on that British cop show The Bill? They don't have guns! :D

• inquirer
    inquirer

These Witnesses are so materialistic....

It's so opposite what the org says to do.

They are so hypocritical these people.

JW's always have a lot of money... And they are very pricy when you buy things off them in either way, shape or form!

When I hear about JW"s with expensive cars, it makes me feel sick! :(

• blondie
    blondie
    Not sure how you can be a police officer, and not carry a gun.

Police officers assigned to work in a jail do not carry guns for the safety of themselves and the prisoners. Guns can be taken away from an officer in a scuffle.

Many prisons require that the officers not carry guns either.

Police officers in the UK don't carry guns either for the most part.

So it is possible to be a police officer and not carry a gun.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

I think it depends on where you live. Up here (Canada), a degree in Geography can get you a damn good job......ditto for having a degree in Economics.......... I think it depends on where you live. Up here (Canada), a degree in Geography can get you a damn good job......ditto for having a degree in Economics..........

That's why I said to check out before hand what the employment opportunities are in your area or will you have to move. Jobs in economics are very competitive in this area (and others) of the US. Too many economists I guess. Again, geography in this area only makes application to teaching. You may have to move to another area. The important thing is to check out what the jobs are in that field, who is hiring and where, and also project out 4 or 5 years, the time during you will be pursuing your degree. I live in a university town and many students do not check this out; find out they have a degree that is not marketable in the area and they are unwilling to move. So I guess if you want to major in geography or economics, plan on checking out Canada.

Blondie

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    another guy i know is a mulit-millionaire franchise builder

sounds like someone i met a couple of times... is his name greg and his wife's name terry?

• Jourles
    Jourles

Back in my old cong in Alpine, CA, we had several super-wealthy families. Two of them were general contractors. Their homes were over $1mil easily. Another part-time brother collected and bought and sold exotic sports cars - Lambo's, Ferrari's, etc.(I think they were on the top of the list for money coming out of their pockets) He had another business but I forgot what it was.

There is another family(personal website) that lives down in El Lago, TX(houston area). The parents live full-time in the Caymans. The dad came into a huge windfall from an inheritance. For tax reasons, that is why he is living on Grand Cayman. They weren't poor before that. He owns two businesses in Seabrook which practically employs witnesses for the most part. But this family is different than most wealthy JW families. They are not showy of what they have. They share what they have with a lot of the friends. I always respected them for not being show-offs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit