On a whim, stopped by the library for books on Jerusalems destruction

by ithinkisee 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Scholar

Let me get this straight, majority opinion proves jonnson wrong (off by about a yr), but not that the wt is wrong (off by 11 yrs).

S

• jgnat
    jgnat

WELCOME, Cat-er-daynightfever!

All is not lost in your search for truth. The WTBTS hasn't cornered the market. There must be some things you love about being a Christian. Make a list of thost things. Follow up (in the New Testament, I recommend) and verify those things you know in your heart are right for you.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yes Scholar....so much disagreement out there on 586 or 587...so don't trust either and use 607....that's stupid!
    Yet they all pinpoint it to 586/587 NOT 607. Go stick your head up Freddy Franz dead arse to see if you can find some New Light Scholar.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    Scholar said: You have proved my point that I made to Carl Jonsson who is the author of the Jonsson hypothesis which promotes the view that Jerusalem was destroyed not in 586 but in 587.

Actually, some did say 587, some said 586. I'll post all the books and the quotes when I get a chance.

-ithinkisee

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Scholar said: You have proved my point that I made to Carl Jonsson who is the author of the Jonsson hypothesis which promotes the view that Jerusalem was destroyed not in 586 but in 587.

Actually, some did say 587, some said 586. I'll post all the books and the quotes when I get a chance.

-ithinkisee

i-think - Did any of the books you copied in the library say that if you didn't believe it was 587 or 586 you would die or that you were apostate from history or that your family would no longer talk to you? (rhetorical of course). Please do post the books and quotes! Thanks scholarjw - I've notice for a while your BIG POINT is that since there is some lack of clarity whether it was 586 or 587 then it has to be 607. If anyone had *doubts* about 607 reading your posts of regurgitated WT logic would erase them. Thanks.

• Will Power
    Will Power

goldminer said:

Somebody didn.'t have to wait on Jehovah 130 years ago,but noe I have to because he taught a lie as truth??? You gotta be kidding?

and this mentality kills the soul.....breaks apart families, hides pedofiles, suppresses real truth, makes it ok for loved ones including little children to DIE.......on & on & on

will

• inquirer
    inquirer

I was so shocked to find out that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587/86 BC! I always thought the JW's were right on this! I never cared much to look in to the issue. I always thought the Watchtower were quoting something that agreed with secular history!

It's only been the last few months of my life that I have decided to change my mind after reading that book by that Swedish guy.

IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU FIND OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jula71
    jula71

HEY Scholar's back !!! Frankly, I love this guy. I have to credit him for me doing the bulk of my research and because of him I have absolutely no more questions regarding the WT sham. I’m with EF on this, great logic Scholar. There are some question between 586 and 587, a difference of a couple months so lets go with a date more then a decade off. Good thinking !!!

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

World Book Encyclopedia:
    Jeremiah began prophesying about 627 B.C. He continued as a prophetic voice during the fall of the kingdom of Judah to the Babylonians and the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple in 587 or 586 B.C. His prophecies also continued into the exile that followed.

Encyclopedia Brittanica:
    When David captured Jerusalem, he moved the Ark of the Covenant there. As the site for a temple, he selected Mount Moriah, or the Temple Mount, where it was believed that Abraham had built his altar to sacrifice Isaac. The First Temple was constructed under David's son Solomon and was completed in 957 BC. It contained three rooms: a vestibule, the main room for religious services, and the Holy of Holies. From the time of Josiah, it was designated as the only place for sacrifice in Judah. It was destroyed during the Babylonian conquest in 586 BC.

Columbia Encyclopedia:
    After a siege of about a year, Jerusalem was finally destroyed in 586 B.C. Nebuchadnezzar was a splendid builder, and Babylon with its hanging gardens was then the greatest city of the ancient world. However, Babylon was shortly to fall under conquest when Nabonidus was king. The book of Daniel depicts Nebuchadnezzar as a conceited and domineering king and tells of his going mad and eating grass. He is also called Nebuchadrezzar or Nebuchodonosor.

Catholic Encyclopedia
    A few Jerusalem facts:

Jerusalem is located on a high ridge, consisting of 3 hills. Along the east of the city is the Kidron Valley (in which runs the Brook Kidron, including the Pool of Gihon), to the south is the Valley of Hinnom, to the west is the Valley of Gehenna. The Mount of Olives, where Jesus was arrested, is just to the east, across the Kidron Valley. Archaeological studies indicate that the city is very ancient, having been established perhaps more than 2,000 years before it was captured from the Jebusites by King David of Israel, about 1,000 B.C. Jerusalem had earlier been named Salem (Genesis 14:18) and Jebus (1 Chronicles 11:4). Salem meant peace. The city is mentioned throughout the Bible, over 600 times in the Old Testament, less in the New Testament. The first mention of the name Jerusalem is found in Joshua chapter 10. The first Temple was constructed by Solomon over a period of about 12 years, with completion being around 950 B.C. The original Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar about 587 B.C. The first Temple lasted only about 360 years. The Herodian Temple, as constructed later by Herod the Great, existed at the time of Jesus Christ. It was a continuation of the earlier reconstruction work done by Jews who had been allowed to return by the Persians after the Babylonian Captivity. The second Temple was destroyed by the Roman Army under Titus in 70 A.D. at the conclusion of the Jewish War.

Bible.org :
    Fall of Jerusalem December/January 586/587

When I did research about this before I consulted no fewer than 12 different sources. ALL 586/587...go figure.

• TheListener
    TheListener

This is along the same lines. but a little different.

The lastest WT (August something) has a discussion of the early Israelite kings and starts Saul's reign just in time for the whole thing to collapse in 607. It lists each king (Saul, David and Solomon are mentioned together at the top of the list) and the years they reigned.

Just more backup for dubs if they ever research 607 in WTS publications. They can say, 'see here is a chronological listing of the kings and it all perfectly fits with 607, you're full of dungy idol crap with that 587/6 stuff'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit