A Christian question, but applies to all thinking Christian too!

by free2beme 100 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

No longer being a Christian, it has become a mind opening experience to look back and see certian things I once ignored or just brushed off. Yet now I can not help but see these things and wonder why other Christians do not.

If you have ever studied Greek, Roman or any other cultures religions in history. Then you have no doubt read their legends, about gods and how things came to be, and no doubt you have enjoyed these and at the same time you must have wondered how people actually bought this enough to make it a religion. Yet, are you willing to accept that Christianity is the same exact thing?

Why for example, does the Bible have stories that mirror Roman and Greek myth? Why does the virgin birth occur many times in Roman and Greek myth, yet we ignore that and think the Christ one must be true? Even the legends sounds almost exact to Roman/Greek legends. Samson sounds a lot like Hercules. Eve and Pandora, have a lot in common. The stories of gaint Titans in ancient times, being replaced by smaller people. Sounds like the legend of the Nephilim (sp). It is all so clear and why could we not see it. I could go on and on. People have to see this and it lowers my respect for the religion all the more, when I realize that it was just another example of the Meditereanian religions sharing legends and passing them into their culture, with their own certian flare.

Jesus never lived, any more so then Hercules did. The legend lives on though!

Just something I was thinking about

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

We have first hand accounts from the Apostles and their disciples. Are there any primary documents relating to Herakles?

• free2beme
    free2beme

First hand account written over 30 yrs later by men who were looking for a means to control people. Even that is highly in question and some consider Paul to be the great myth maker himself. It was not exactly modern times and why is that? Why do these suppose miricals take place in times when science could not prove them? Wasn't God wise enough to know that one day science would prove him, right or wrong? Why did he choose such a simple time in human history? Better yet, why only in one part of the world (a small part at that). Was the rest of the world just god's bathroom? It's a regional myth religion that spread. No proof shown that I have seen to prove otherwise, that wasn't written by someone looking to support there own religion. Oh, and the Bible, how much more can you twist that thing to make it sound like something it isn't. It's a history book at best, myth more then history, might as well quote "Homer's Odysse" same thing.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    First hand account written over 30 yrs later by men who were looking for a means to control people

Prove it. I think your confusing Christianity with you're own debilitating experience with a cult.

• acadian
    acadian

Hello all

The way I see it, all these myths are real events that occured before the flood.

Acadian

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Prove it

I thought real proof was something Christian's feared. Any how, prove mr wrong! As I know I am right. Prove to me that there was Garden of Eden, because if the Bible says it, it must be so, right?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

classist:

Prove it.

There are NO documents written by 'first hand' witnesses!

steve

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    There are NO documents written by 'first hand' witnesses!

Only one, the Gospel according to John. Do you doubt Plato wrote the Republic?

First hand account written over 30 yrs later by men who were looking for a means to control people. Even that is highly in question and some consider Paul to be the great myth maker himself.

Again what proof do you have that they wrote the Gospels because they wished to control people? Do you have primary documents, scholarly authorities, or what? I don't see how they could control people much after matyrdom (~64 AD for both Peter and Paul, I believe), only John wasn't martyred. "Some consider Paul..." ... You've obviously learned well from WT rhetorical techniques.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

It seems to be the latest dogma of the anti-Christians out there that Jesus never existed, but was made up by a bunch of first-century power brokers, nearly all of whom, for some unknown reason, were willing to go to their deaths to defend their made-up beliefs that they knew were made up. Also, the religion that was not founded by this non-existent person somehow became a major movement with hundreds of thousands of members and thousands of martyrs within the lifetimes of people who would have existed at the same time as the non-existent founder and would thus have been aware of his non-existence. All of the personal followers of this non-existent person made up their accounts about him out of whole cloth, except for the accounts written by imposters, which were somehow accepted by the followers of the non-existent person as being genuine from the very time they were written, while much more accurate accounts written by Gnostics and other mystics in later centuries were rejected because these later writers knew the non-existent person much better than those who walked with him during his lifetime, except that their writings didn't allow some of the followers of the non-existent person to control the other followers of the non-existent person in quite as efficient a manner.

You'll have to excuse me if I find this particular dogma hard to accept...

• carla
    carla

I talked to Gary Bussleman about two years ago. He had some interesting things to say about how some Jewish people regard some of the OT stories. Care to comment Gary? As for Christians believing all of the OT stories, I think there are many different views on literal or not. An interesting thing to study though. I don't believe there is a short answer for this. carla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit