Is there a freedom of choice? (rree will)

by DannyBloem 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Some time ago, I had a discussion with a college, a creationist, who belived that everything was already known before it happened. (predestination).
    Not many people believe that there is no freedom of choice. It is also the WTS doctrine. But where does it come from?

In early science when atoms and molecules where viewed as hard balls, there was no place for it, according to some.

Later came quantum physics and the uncertainty principle of Heizenberg. But still can the free will be a product of gausian curves?

Of course this is already a discussion since Descartes (or even earlier). But some thoughts about it?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Do you want a theological or scientific discussion?

Just to set one piece of terminology straight, I think you mean foreordination, rather than predestination. Predestination is a very specific instance of the doctrine of fore-ordination (relating to who are "saved", rather than "everything that happens in life, regardless of eternal destiny").

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Do those who believe in predestination freely choose to do so?

Is it the fate of others to believe in free will?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Or do we have freewill to straight-jacket ourselves into an belief of foreordination?

• M.J.
    M.J.

This subject often makes my head hurt. But my personal take is who are we to decree limits on God's abilities just so that He fits into our own little box of understanding/sentiment?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Little Toe: I have a minor degree in philosophy, but I`ve never heard that there is a distinction between predestination and what you call "fore-ordination". If anything, the distinction is only a theological one, not a philosophical one. It`s an either or, either there is free will (in the situation man finds himself in), or there is predestination (in which mans "choice" in the destination will be predestined, a matter og cause and effect, his choice between alternative actions will be determined by previous "predestined" development, like his psychological development, his genes etc.) Could you elaborate further on this distinction you make?

(excuse my english, it`s my second language)

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Yes LittleToo, I mean 'fore-ordination', although I do not know how you can have predestination without fore-ordination. It seems for me they are connected.

Anyway most people do not believe in fore-ordination, it is also not a JW doctrine. But where (scientifically) does the freedom to chooce come from? Or it is just only a illusion?

Danny

• M.J.
    M.J.

Question: How does someone who denies foreknowledge or foreordination explain the following verses?

Eph 1:4-8-

4 For he chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will-- to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In Him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace 8 that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

Rom 8:28-30 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Romans 9:10-24 (NLT): This son was our ancestor Isaac. When he grew up, he married Rebekah, who gave birth to twins. But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. (This message proves that God chooses according to his own plan, not according to our good or bad works.) She was told, "The descendants of your older son will serve the descendants of your younger son." In the words of the Scriptures, "I loved Jacob, but I rejected Esau." What can we say? Was God being unfair? Of course not! For God said to Moses, "I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose."

So receiving God's promise is not up to us. We can't get it by choosing it or working hard for it. God will show mercy to anyone he chooses. For the Scriptures say that God told Pharaoh, "I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying my power in you, and so that my fame might spread throughout the earth." So you see, God shows mercy to some just because he wants to, and he chooses to make some people refuse to listen. Well then, you might say, "Why does God blame people for not listening? Haven't they simply done what he made them do?"

No, don't say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to criticize God? Should the thing that was created say to the one who made it, "Why have you made me like this?" When a potter makes jars out of clay, doesn't he have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into? God has every right to exercise his judgment and his power, but he also has the right to be very patient with those who are the objects of his judgment and are fit only for destruction. He also has the right to pour out the riches of his glory upon those he prepared to be the objects of his mercy--even upon us, whom he selected, both from the Jews and from the Gentiles.

Just curious. On one hand the Bible talks about God's sovereignty over everything, including the wrong choices people make, yet at the same time it also shows that people are accountable for their choices. Quite a paradox. I think if you take the Bible as God's word then you just leave it at that without dogmatically insisting on your own "solution". I think that goes along with Paul's lump of clay analogy there.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Thank you MJ,

How does someone who denies foreknowledge or foreordination explain:

Eph 1:4-8-

4 For he chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he [ 3 ] predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will

How do you explain the belief in pre-destination with the free will?Or is there no free will.

Can we really make a choice? Or according to you God has already choosen,and whatever we do is irrelevant?

Danny

• M.J.
    M.J.

I'm not taking a firm stance on this one. I just can't see how someone could get around this plain language in the Bible. I'm not versed on the WTS explanation or anyone else's arguments against foreknowledge, so I'm curious how one accounts for what it says here.

Like I said in my edited post, Paul addressed this very question you pose in Romans 9 and punted. Apparently its for God to know and for us to find out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit